Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Default Fishing/Camping Near Consort,AB

Any familiar with the Consort Area have any suggest for camping and fishing. I can see on the map that there are lakes nearby (Gooseberry lake and Sounding lake) but can't find much info about campgrounds or if the fishing is any good.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTileGuy View Post
Any familiar with the Consort Area have any suggest for camping and fishing. I can see on the map that there are lakes nearby (Gooseberry lake and Sounding lake) but can't find much info about campgrounds or if the fishing is any good.

Thanks for any help.
No fish in Sounding, it is nothing but an alkali slough. Gooseberry Lake- same thing, but there stocked rainbows in the pond south of the lake. They are not very big in there mind you. If you catch one that is 4lb from there, you are doing extremely well. A kid pulled a 7lb out of there in 2002. The pond is only 11 feet at its deepest hole and it summer/winterkills constantly. Electric motors only in there. The campground at Gooseberry Provincial Park is a decent place to camp. Know it like the back of my hand. Haven't stayed there since before you have to pay for firewood but there are serviced and unserviced sites, a group campground, playground for the kids, one of the best 9-hole golf courses in the area, rodeo grounds, water spray park ( think it is still there).
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Another lake to try is Capt. Eyre Lake. It is North east of Consort about 50km or so. Some guys in the past have had 50 fish days. Stocked with rainbows as well. I have a love/hate relationship with that lake which I won't get into. It seems like it has a personality of its own somedays. The campground is ok. Sees a lot of the weekend party animals as it is so close to Consort and Provost. I won't stay there anymore for that reason. Too many trips have gotten ruined. If you camp away from the lake (close to the road) it might not be as bad). There is the Battle River close by as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Go to Dilberry Lake. Trout and Perch in the lake, campsites are good.