Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Skunked on 300B Bull Elk

Well I closed out the 300B late season on thursday morning the same way I did the previous 5 mornings, watching a group of 13 mature bull elk graze hapily, 600yrds inside the safety of Montana. I enjoyed hunting some of the most beautiful territroy this province has to offer yet I dont think I would wait another 8 years to do it again. It seems that it would be pure luck and just beeing in the right place at the right time type of hunt in my opinion. I also think that being a local to the area would be an advantage as you need to be prepared to head out as soon as the weather hits, something which we did not have much of this year. I watched some awesome bulls including a couple that would easily make book but they are smart and were never where I could hunt, at least while I was there. I heard of a total of 2 bulls that were killed in the last season along with a handfull of cows although I am sure there were more. Here are some pictures from my last few outings. If anyone was successful on taking a bull I would love to see some pictures.
2013 elk hunt 006.jpg
2013 elk hunt 007.jpg
2013 elk hunt 018.JPG
2013 elk hunt 017.JPG
2013 elk hunt 019.JPG
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM

You need some nasty weather to get the elk to leave the park. Unfortunatley we didnt get any this year.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Nice pics

Beauty pics, definitely some hard to get monster bulls down there.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Grats on having a great hunting season even if you didn't get your bull.. thats hunting

Thanks for sharing very nice pic's btw

David
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote: "600 yards inside Montana".

Any recourse if you shoot one north of the border and makes it across the line ?

Grizz
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Any recourse if you shoot one north of the border and makes it across the line ?
What I was told is that if there is a destinct blood trail that starts in AB then border patrol will take you across the line but you cannot bring your rifle.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM

I recognize the country. It is a very difficult season. Definitely rolling the dice with that draw. Definitely boom or bust.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Nice pix|!!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 PM

The pictures are worth the price of admission

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I recognize the country. It is a very difficult season. Definitely rolling the dice with that draw. Definitely boom or bust.
And from the look of the bull pictured in your avatar , you definitely got the lucky roll .. Lol .
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Any one know what mr. Duce success was this year? Looks like I might be up for one next year. Was thinking of using him? What are your guys thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM

It was a warm year down here. I only heard of two guys getting bulls in the 2nd season. I heard of duce taking a couple bulls, not a good year to be drawn. It definately helps to be a local. To be honest, if I didn't live there, I wouldn't wait 8 years to be drawn. It's too much of a crapshoot.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM

If you like shooting elk in a hay stack,or taging one that you didnt shoot, ya call him up
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta cats View Post
Any one know what mr. Duce success was this year? Looks like I might be up for one next year. Was thinking of using him? What are your guys thoughts?
Good guy, i appreciated the help.
Could be worth it.

Jamie
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think he faired about the same as the rest of us, one or two bulls maybe. I bumped into him on the last day and he looked pretty frantic, racing all over the countryside. As for his services I personally did not use him so I couldnt say. I heard he charges $400 per day and a trophy fee of $3000 if the bull is over 360 but dont quote me on that. He does however have exclusive access to 8000 acres of prime elk country in that zone.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like a bunch of money for nothing better then anyone else. And if he's got so much prime hunting area how come I always here of guys running into him on other land. From the research I've done I think I'll try my own luck. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
Well I closed out the 300B late season on thursday morning the same way I did the previous 5 mornings, watching a group of 13 mature bull elk graze hapily, 600yrds inside the safety of Montana. I enjoyed hunting some of the most beautiful territroy this province has to offer yet I dont think I would wait another 8 years to do it again. It seems that it would be pure luck and just beeing in the right place at the right time type of hunt in my opinion. I also think that being a local to the area would be an advantage as you need to be prepared to head out as soon as the weather hits, something which we did not have much of this year. I watched some awesome bulls including a couple that would easily make book but they are smart and were never where I could hunt, at least while I was there. I heard of a total of 2 bulls that were killed in the last season along with a handfull of cows although I am sure there were more. Here are some pictures from my last few outings. If anyone was successful on taking a bull I would love to see some pictures.
Attachment 68379
Attachment 68380
Attachment 68381
Attachment 68382
Attachment 68383
Ahhh! Pretty much replicates my elk experiences with special tags. Always a few minutes/yards too late/wrong side of the fence. I have no elk luck at all!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Elk hunting in 300

Attention Coon Dawg: Whoever told you that about Mr. Duce is a total liar !!! I've never met a finer man and would hunt elk with him anytime !
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Showed up at the ranch Tuesday night (Feb19) for the last good day and found our friendly elk. I ranged one from the garage door at 223yards. Watched them till 12:30am My kids couldn't contain themselves watching them filter to our stack like ants. Actually drove up to the stack and watched about 400 head under the moon light. Too many to count... scattered from our place to the park. But they just disappear by morning. Couldn't even find a stragler. We had 8 cow tags in our group... but we all were skunked. They just come out and in at night. Unless the weather is just right for them to stay they are nocturnal. Maybe next year.
And Tyrell is a very good guy. Known him for years.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Attention Coon Dawg: Whoever told you that about Mr. Duce is a total liar !!! I've never met a finer man and would hunt elk with him anytime !
This is the truth ... from what I know, 3 bulls middle season (and 1 bull moose, nov part of the middle season obviously), 1 bull late season, weather was bad for elk hunting this Jan/Feb.