Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Archery GoPro

Anyone use a GoPro camera to film there archery/hunting. If you do how do you like to mount your camera. Head-mount, Chest-mount, or bow-mount.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM

I have one and use the head mount.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Ou can mount them on your stabilizer.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 AM

Ironic ..huh buy a lite bow and put of all things a camera on it...had guys back in the day when video cameras were the size of a pumpkin try that..he shot low for some reason...lol

Neil
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM

i always keep one in my pack especially bear hunting toss it on my head at prime time if i get the chance. it does get annoying having it on your head all day. Otherwise id wear it full time
Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM

I considered the bow mount but I have so many different bows it would be too much of a pain in the ass to switch it so I got a handlebar mount and put it on the shooting rail on my stand and it seems to do the trick.

I also mounted my Nikon the same way for still photography and it works well.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM

We use the head mount out here. My friend took a beautiful blackie in the Pine Pass last spring on video. Was nice to see the bow at full draw and watch the arrow go through the shooting window and hit home.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM

I found with the head mount my bow was in the way. Do you just off center the camera from your head? Or did you use a special adapter??
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM

I used the GoPro with a headstrap... I actually like it there vs the bow as easier to ensure you have it pointed at the action... but I was disappointed with the footage.. The lack of zoom is compounded by the wide angle lens which makes things look even farther away - ie a 20yard shot looks like 50.

I changed to a waterproof digital point an shoot camera bow mounted with 4x zoom. Mounted it on a bowfinger rod and use it as my stab.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM

i tryied bow mount it was great for everything but the most important part the SHOT. so much energy just shook the S==T out of the camera you could not see anything on the playback from the time you realeses till about two seconds latter after the deer was hit and gone. i would like to try shoulder mounting it to a shoulderstrap.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM

I found the digital stabilization to be less impacted by the bow shock vs the optical stabilization ones I experimented with for whatever reason as optical is generally considered better for normal use.

For the zoom though, definitely optical zoom over grainy digital zoom like the Kodak Playsports... 4 or 5x optical zoom seems like enough for bow distances. The shockproof, waterproof digitals are pretty rugged and good for bow cams. I have a Sony TX10 which is a pretty sleek unit.. 16.2mp on the pics too.

Not TV show quality, but good for personal use and showing your buds. Lighted nocks help too.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Here is a 2011 Rosie I took at 25yards but you wouldn't know it was a B&C bull on the GoPro...looks far away. This is the headstrap mount view.

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=huOTBE0lD7Y
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM

I use a drift cam whick is like gopro but smaller. just used a sticky pad to mount it to the riser. works great as a 2and veiw to my big cameras and gives a great at the shot perspective. we are going to use them more this season in our footage for the show we have comming out next spring. nice thing is the 1920x1080 full hd and you can adjust volume on them to drown out the twang at the shot. they are also full water proof to 10 ft as well!
Rob
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Fixed your link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOTBE0lD7Y

Cool Elk
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDuckElk! View Post
Thanks. I used the "insert link" icon. Should I have just cut and pasted directly instead and not used the icon?

I will post up a link to a vid from last season I took with the bow mount cam I described after the Gopro to try and show the difference.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdeuce View Post
I used the GoPro with a headstrap... I actually like it there vs the bow as easier to ensure you have it pointed at the action... but I was disappointed with the footage.. The lack of zoom is compounded by the wide angle lens which makes things look even farther away - ie a 20yard shot looks like 50.

I changed to a waterproof digital point an shoot camera bow mounted with 4x zoom. Mounted it on a bowfinger rod and use it as my stab.
Nice - got any footage of that in use?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Ok, this is one shot with my waterproof point and shoot cam mounted on a bowfinger rod in the stab mount. I think you need to change the picture quality to 1080p in youtube setting. Hopefully this link works this time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1lOfxRqNQ

As I mentioned earlier, I think it takes some practice with the bow mount cam to remember to point your bow at the action...I will sometimes wear both the Gopro headstrap (since I have it) and use the bow mount at the same time. As you can see I forgot in this one to keep the bow pointed at the action and you miss the cows walking out in front of me less than 20yrds.... you just barely see them busting as I raise my bow... hey it is amateur video

Anyhow, not sure what I have the zoom set to in this vid, I am guessing maybe only 2 or3x. This bull is actually 40yrds, so pretty much twice the distance as the Rosey in the last vid with the Gopro so demonstrates what I was talking about. Pretty good picture and sound mic on the Sony too. Don't beat me up over the shot.

When you see my broadhead disappear, I am obviously drawing. Had a false draw on this guy at first thinking he was closer until he bugled again. Anyhow, my buddy and I had been working him for an hour to this point. My buddy had a rifle but could not see him. The bull was pretty hot as we had scattered some of his other cows so he hung in and we worked him with cow calls and by buddy finished the job. Worked out good for me as I bagged a bigger bull 2 days later

I had my Gopro headstrap on for my bull, and thought I got great video until I went to download and realized the gopro was not turned on. Another issue with wearing the Gopro on your head in stealth mode without the beep to tell you it went on. Sometimes it fails to engage as you are engaging the on/off button thru the waterproof case so can be a bit wonky.

I will try and post a pic later of the actual cam mounted on the bow but sure you seen them lots before. I like it. No need for more zoom, and it is no fuss no muss in terms of weather. Does not hold the battery charge as long as the Gopro though so bring a spare if on multi day trip (learned that on the elk trip above).