Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Default Lightweight winter jacket/pants

Looking for a lightweight breathable jacket and pants to wear while slugging through deep snow hunting in the mountains. It is the one piece of hunting clothing I don't have. Haha. Going to head down to Cabela's and Jimbows to see what they have, but thought I'd check here since this is where "the experts" are. haha. Maybe a few of you have a favourite brand for this kind of hunting.

Been going hard the past 3 days in deep snow covering many kilometres and my hunting clothing is not the best for that. 4 more hard days ahead.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 PM

I've been using nothing but First Lite stuff for this purpose for the last few years and I'm a diehard wool guy now. I'd look into the Kanab 2.0 pants and the Labrador Sweater for what you're describing.

(I also happen to have all our First Lite product at MilArm in Edmonton on sale this Friday & Saturday for 20% off)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 PM

I would check out G-Force Outdoor Products ... there out of the states but would be good for next year...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 11-26-2015, 05:38 PM

You could look at Wool columbia outfitter series. Breathable, warm, snow bushes off, Dries off well overnight, good price.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:02 PM

I bought the whole g force suit and used it for september hunting. Im sure layering the suit like they intend would keep you warm and dry but still mobile.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 PM

which one the pre-season or the all season or both ...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM

I bought the whole package that they offer. I would just layer the early season under the late season suit and head out. Maybe some long johns under the early as well depending on temps.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:35 PM

if you dont have a pair I would HIGHLY suggest a pair of GAITERS
if you dont know what they are I will put a link at botton. basically no snow gets in your boot, have used them to cross rivers that are a foot deep, and I was dry...just dont stand still in the water...gotta keep moving for them to work in crossings
anyway probably the best thing I have bought when your going to be walking a lot

http://www.mec.ca/product/5014-265/m...ex/?f=10+50110
Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I bought the whole package that they offer. I would just layer the early season under the late season suit and head out. Maybe some long johns under the early as well depending on temps.
awesome deal for the package ... there black Friday sale is really good its not on the package deal but still cheaper to buy each one separately...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was able to grab this jacket from Cabelas in Calgary on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...6&Ntt=instinct

I was going to get the matching pants for this jacket, but all they had left were sizes that drowned me. hahaha. Sometimes being short is a pain.

This jacket was perfect!!! During the cold mornings I wore a fleece underneath. We were in some very windy open areas and this jacket cut the wind 100 percent and I was plenty warm. As the days warmed up, and we were slugging through the snow in thicker cover, I just had 2 thin shirts on under this jacket. It keep my body temperature comfortable and it breathed extremely well.

I already have good gaiters so there was no problem keeping the snow out of my boots.

This jacket was a lucky last minute purchase for 3 full days of chasing elk in the mountains.