Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 07:53 AM

Default Let's talk Prague Powder/cure #1

So reading the recipes on back bacon and looking at recipes on line I was struck at how wildly the amount of cure #1 varied in the amount recommended for a 1 gallon batch of brine. I have seen anywhere from a 1/4 teaspoon to 2 Tbsp spoons in various recipes. So.... I went out and bought the book "Home production of Quality Meats and Sausage" by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski. They recommend 120 grams or 6 Tbsp of #1 per gallon of brine. They explain the science of why they do it, but people seem to ignore it. They also explain that cure #1 is a fixed product 1oz. (6.25%) of sodium nitrite per pound of salt, so there are no fluctuations in cures.

So what gives? Why the wild fluctuations?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 09:01 AM

Most recipes call for a generic amount a cup of salt, tsp of cure in a gallon of water more or less varies on the recipe it is confusing, a better way is to use calculators based on the amount of meat you are curing

nitrate curing
https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesInd...alculator.html

salt brining

I'm doing some corn beef this morning

3680 gms. brisket flat
2 liters of water
145.6 gms of salt @ 2.25%
13.5 cure @150 mg.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So reading the recipes on back bacon and looking at recipes on line I was struck at how wildly the amount of cure #1 varied in the amount recommended for a 1 gallon batch of brine. I have seen anywhere from a 1/4 teaspoon to 2 Tbsp spoons in various recipes. So.... I went out and bought the book "Home production of Quality Meats and Sausage" by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski. They recommend 120 grams or 6 Tbsp of #1 per gallon of brine. They explain the science of why they do it, but people seem to ignore it. They also explain that cure #1 is a fixed product 1oz. (6.25%) of sodium nitrite per pound of salt, so there are no fluctuations in cures.

Just bought that book. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
hey recommend 120 grams or 6 Tbsp of #1 per gallon of brine. They explain the science of why they do it, but people seem to ignore it. They also explain that cure #1 is a fixed product 1oz. (6.25%) of sodium nitrite per pound of salt, so there are no fluctuations in cures.

120 grams per gallon would be way out to lunch for 1 gal. In fact if you were to eat that improperly cooked it could actually prove to be fatal unless you were using 1 gal of cure to cover 48 KG of meat, which would be impossible. You must also remember that anything you cure with cure #1 must be cooked to a minimum temp of 120*F for the cure to break down to become safe for consumption.

When using cure you want to use 0.25 percent cure content to meat/ mix ratio. this includes you liquids.
Eg:20 kg of "meat mixture" times 0.25% ( 0.0025) = 0.050 Kg cure ( 50g)
Hopefully this picture will show up.

You can also use this link
http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

It should be noted that not all cures are created equally. Halfords sells Cure #1 at 6.4 %. They also sell FS cure which is only listed at 5%, some "speed cures" can be as high as 8.5%, all of which are Sodium Nitrite based. It should also be noted that each cure will use different amounts of sodium chloride ( table salt) as well so the recipe must be adjusted if you use a different cure. If you use speed cure in place of cure #1 your results will be horribly salty even if you correct only for the sodium nitrite content.

Another reason for the great variances of cure in the recipes are because of local government regulations. Some go by total salts content, others require a minimum sodium nitrite content. There is also wet brining vs dry brining. Wet is how it sounds, a solution you place you meat in. Dry is more of a dry rub that removes moisture from the meat, become salinated then is reabsorbed into the meat therefore curing it.

The book Great Sausage Recipes & Curing Book by Rytek Kutas has a whole chapter just on curing salts. I would suggest anyone getting into sausage making get this book.
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/gr...ng-book-bsrbr1

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-31-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
120 grams per gallon would be way out to lunch for 1 gal. In fact if you were to eat that improperly cooked it could actually prove to be fatal unless you were using 1 gal of cure to cover 48 KG of meat, which would be impossible. You must also remember that anything you cure with cure #1 must be cooked to a minimum temp of 120*F for the cure to break down to become safe for consumption.

When using cure you want to use 0.25 percent cure content to meat/ mix ratio. this includes you liquids.
Eg:20 kg of "meat mixture" times 0.25% ( 0.0025) = 0.050 Kg cure ( 50g)
Hopefully this picture will show up.

You can also use this link
http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

It should be noted that not all cures are created equally. Halfords sells Cure #1 at 6.4 %. They also sell FS cure which is only listed at 5%, some "speed cures" can be as high as 8.5%, all of which are Sodium Nitrite based. It should also be noted that each cure will use different amounts of sodium chloride ( table salt) as well so the recipe must be adjusted if you use a different cure. If you use speed cure in place of cure #1 your results will be horribly salty even if you correct only for the sodium nitrite content.

Another reason for the great variances of cure in the recipes are because of local government regulations. Some go by total salts content, others require a minimum sodium nitrite content. There is also wet brining vs dry brining. Wet is how it sounds, a solution you place you meat in. Dry is more of a dry rub that removes moisture from the meat, become salinated then is reabsorbed into the meat therefore curing it.

The book Great Sausage Recipes & Curing Book by Rytek Kutas has a whole chapter just on curing salts. I would suggest anyone getting into sausage making get this book.
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/gr...ng-book-bsrbr1
The instructions on that package are for incorporating the cure into the meat not for a brine. Again we are talking about cure #1 not anything else.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Life is often about context

Could you provide the page # for the Bolded section?
I do not have the book,but will look online
Old 01-31-2023, 10:21 AM

It says meat mixture, when you are wet brining the brine is part of the meat mixture. I was confused about it at first too until a butcher explained it to me. Unfortunately he has passed on, but if you go to smoking meat forum and look up Pop's Brine he explains it a bit. If you really want to get into the technicalities of it you would need a salinometer.

Here is what Pop's said to me Via a PM on that site.:
Quote:
Asked dad, and he explained exactly what I just explained to you. It wasn't VOLUME, it was CONCENTRATION that mattered! Think of it as solids. You have a 1 lb. block. You add 99 more blocks, but don't change the concentration within that block or blocks. Doesn't matter how many, but what does matter is the CONCENTRATION within every block. Keep the concentration the same, you keep the cure the same.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:15 AM

OK, so I looked at the book you are talking about and in the context they are talking about dry curing. The reason you can get away with such a high cure content is they are stating most of it will evaporate through the dry curing process. Essentially you are soaking the meat then leaving it in the fridge for an length of time to dry. You are also going to the maximum legal amount of cure in the meat when finished as per FDA regulations.
Quote:
Immersed, Pumped and Massaged Products such as hams, poultry breasts,
corned beef. Here, it is much harder to come up with a universal formula as there
are so many variables that have to be determined first. The main factor is to
determine % pump when injecting the meat with a syringe or % pick-up when
immersing meat in a curing solution. We will calculate the formula for 1 gallon
of water, Cure #1 and 10% pick-up gain. Then the formula can be multiplied or
divided to accommodate different amounts of meat. 10% pump or 10% pick-up
mean that the cured meat should absorb 10% of the brine in relation to its
original weight. For immersion, pumped or massaged products, the maximum
ingoing nitrite limit is 200 ppm and that corresponds to adding 4.2 oz of Cure #1
to 1 gallon of water

Old 01-31-2023, 11:30 AM

Here's the recipe we've been using for years. It works fine as is. We usually brine longer. Won't hurt.

We hardly ever eat side bacon any more. Been eating this all my life. The only change we do is to roll the single slices in cornmeal before cooking instead of the whole pc and then slicing. It freezes fine so make double batches.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Cuz you do not need to understand the science to post a recipe on the internet

The recipe is sound if max pick up is 10%

I blame equilization cure mentality for the confusion
Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM

Here's what I've been doing for many years for back bacon.

2l water

200ml sugar

120ml rock salt

30ml cure #1

Makes enough brine to cure 1 pork loin cut in half and placed in 2 seperate Tupperwares. In the fridge, turn twice a day, total cure time 4 full days. Perfect every time smoked or otherwise.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:08 PM

This is the article and calculator I use when I make bacon

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-meats-safely/
Old 01-31-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Life is often about context

Could you provide the page # for the Bolded section?
I do not have the book,but will look online
Page 55, it says it is calculated on 10% pickup.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
OK, so I looked at the book you are talking about and in the context they are talking about dry curing. The reason you can get away with such a high cure content is they are stating most of it will evaporate through the dry curing process. Essentially you are soaking the meat then leaving it in the fridge for an length of time to dry. You are also going to the maximum legal amount of cure in the meat when finished as per FDA regulations.
Ok what is any length of time? I leave my meat to dry in the fridge for a day before smoking. The reason I am asking is that I want to cook the loin (155) so that it can be eaten cold like ham. I also want to do it right, I have been hesitant to brine anything because of the differences I see in recipes, I certainly don't want to poison anyone or give anyone food poisoning.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
This is the article and calculator I use when I make bacon

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-meats-safely/
That looks like a wonderful resource!

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Cuz you do not need to understand the science to post a recipe on the internet

The recipe is sound if max pick up is 10%

I blame equilization cure mentality for the confusion
I don't understand which is why I am asking.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 02:44 PM

By the way Omega the bacon recipe you shared with me is a hit with everyone that tries it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Ok what is any length of time? I leave my meat to dry in the fridge for a day before smoking. The reason I am asking is that I want to cook the loin (155) so that it can be eaten cold like ham. I also want to do it right, I have been hesitant to brine anything because of the differences I see in recipes, I certainly don't want to poison anyone or give anyone food poisoning.
I have heard of hams that age for 30 days or more. I cant really give you an exact answer for this because I simply don't know the exact conversion rate. It is the cure breaking down into nitrite oxide (?) that does the actual curing. Id have to look in my books because the exact science eludes me right now.

Personally I prefer to wet brine all of my hams and bacon so they can be smoked right away. I just leave them in the fridge overnight to form a pellicle and then smoke them.

Ill send you my recipe as it is really easy to start with and makes a great product.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Most recipes call for a generic amount a cup of salt, tsp of cure in a gallon of water more or less varies on the recipe it is confusing, a better way is to use calculators based on the amount of meat you are curing

nitrate curing

salt brining

I'm doing some corn beef this morning

3680 gms. brisket flat
2 liters of water
145.6 gms of salt @ 2.25%
13.5 cure @150 mg.
Looks like another good resource.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 03:12 PM

So what I have on the go now is this. 1 gallon of water, 2 tsp of cure #1.

Is this safe to eat?

Ingredients
1 Pork loin about 4 lbs
12 cup Cold water divided
1 cup Maple syrup
˝ cup Pickling salt
2 tablespoon Mustard seeds
2 teaspoon Black peppercorns
2 teaspoon Prague powder #1 cure
4 Garlic cloves pressed
3 Whole cloves
2 Bay leaves