Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 09:20 AM

Default Another new fee...$90/yr for kananaskis users

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ge-in-vehicle/

Once again.. I am glad to this.. the place was overrun by people and there's needs to be extra $ for cleanup/maintenance.

Just wish it was a pass so I could switch it between vehicles.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Banned

It means, when I buy WT tag in WMU406 for $30 I should pay $90 to park my vehicle? Nice.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:28 AM

And I thought the NDP were tax and spend. What a joke. $90. Wow.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:32 AM

The Globe and Mail continues to hide behind a pay wall..........seriously, does the G&M gain significant revenue stream from that?

Sorry for the derail but you linked to a news source that does not provide...

I'd like to know more considering I live off of the Kananaskis Rd...
Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The Globe and Mail continues to hide behind a pay wall..........seriously, does the G&M gain significant revenue stream from that?

Sorry for the derail but you linked to a news source that does not provide...

I'd like to know more considering I live off of the Kananaskis Rd...
Here is the article.

Albertans who want to hike, ski or otherwise play in Kananaskis Country will have to pay to access the area come June 1, when a $90 per-vehicle annual fee comes into effect.

The pass is part of a broader set of measures the province will announce Tuesday to protect the area, after a record five million visitors descended on the region last year. By comparison, Banff National Park next door sees, on average, about four million annual visitors.

Social media posts on Kananaskis mountain trails in 2020 skyrocketed as Calgarians and others fled the city to find outdoor fun during a pandemic, but so did graffiti on signs, excessive speeding by some drivers, illegal parking, helicopter rescues and garbage.

Dubbed “Alberta’s mountain playground,” the Kananaskis region is about an hour’s drive west of Calgary. It comprises about 4,000 square kilometres of Rocky Mountain parks and foothills loaded with scenic hiking paths, alpine and Nordic ski trails, caves and golf courses.

Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon told The Globe and Mail that as a result of the surge in visitor numbers, the “greatest gem inside the provincial parks system” exceeded its operational expense budget.

“It’s great that everybody is going to enjoy Kananaskis – that’s what we want – but we continue to see a significant environmental strain on what is one of the most beautiful places in our province,” he said.

“What we hear from Albertans is that they’re comfortable with modest fees, as long as the fee is going back to the park or to the landscape. In this case, it will be 100 per cent doing that.”

Mr. Nixon said Tuesday’s announcement will include “some significant capital upgrades” to – and the expansion of – Kananaskis, the hiring of 20 new conservation officers and 50 new park employees, and the opening of a new emergency centre.

Unlike Ontario, Alberta doesn’t charge for day use of its provincial parks. Mr. Nixon said his United Conservative government is not considering implementing a provincewide park fee system at this point, given most are camping areas that already charge a fee. But nothing is off the table.

The annual pass will be tied to licence plates, but visitors will also have the option to pay $15 per day. Among those exempt from the fee will be low-income earners and First Nations people. Much like the system in place in Banff National Park, the fee will apply to anyone who uses park facilities.

Debbie Mucha, Kananaskis West area manager with Alberta Environment and Parks, said on a departmental blog that the amount of garbage and disregard for parks facilities was a huge issue last year, with filled dog poop bags and paper coffee cups littering scenic hiking trails.

The surge of people also led to “significant damages” to “delicate flora and fauna which were being crushed or decimated in sensitive areas,” she said.

Ms. Mucha said visitors were also behaving “in a more aggressive way with staff and contractors,” likely because of the underlying stress of the pandemic. Conservation officers had a difficult time responding to the increased enforcement issues, she said, because much of their days were spent on public safety incidents, wildlife response, parking issues and cleaning up garbage.

The new fee is the latest in a series of changes the UCP government has introduced for public land use.

Its February budget hiked camping fees by $1 to $3 a night. Earlier this month, the government announced changes to the Public Lands Act to allow a new, $30 annual pass to camp on public land on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:41 AM

cash grab and why not all pay to use .
Old 04-27-2021, 09:51 AM

Default Another new fee

Jason Kenney and his troup of misfits changing the landscape of Alberta one tax at a time. Wow this minister of Environment is destroying our back country access one fee at a time. $90.00 access fee, $30.00 random camping fee. for what? more garbage pickers and wanna be tough guy wildlife officers. We already paid for this park and all the other parks, and because they cannot seem to manage the funds want to charge people more to see our Alberta. While I agree they need more F&W officers, this is just a slap in the face to hunters, hikers, and real outdoor people. And another kick is to not charge certain groups for what ever reason. Not good.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhl View Post
Jason Kenney and his troup of misfits changing the landscape of Alberta one tax at a time. Wow this minister of Environment is destroying our back country access one fee at a time. $90.00 access fee, $30.00 random camping fee. for what? more garbage pickers and wanna be tough guy wildlife officers. We already paid for this park and all the other parks, and because they cannot seem to manage the funds want to charge people more to see our Alberta. While I agree they need more F&W officers, this is just a slap in the face to hunters, hikers, and real outdoor people. And another kick is to not charge certain groups for what ever reason. Not good.
well said 100% right
Old 04-27-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhl View Post
Idk.. I agree but disagree.. this will (in theory) provide more money for maintenance and upkeep, while also discouraging the masses from just popping out there.

Last year k-country was an absolute zoo, with the "city folk" doing "city" things.. I think they had to do this and I welcome it.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:57 AM

I identify as low income. All good.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:05 AM

I have no problem pay a fee, If I have not ben there that week end , and people are pooping next to the toilets wrecking signs leaving a trail of garbage , overflowing bins , why should my tax money clean that crap up.
Human beings are worse than pigs, they are disgusting.

It be on crown land or in provincial parks those place look worse than a hog barn.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
The annual pass will be tied to licence plates, but visitors will also have the option to pay $15 per day. Among those exempt from the fee will be low-income earners and First Nations people. Much like the system in place in Banff National Park, the fee will apply to anyone who uses park facilities.
Thanks DO

The usual exemptions but being tied to license plates is maybe even more of a cash grab. How many families only have one vehicle these days? It's approx 1.5 km from my home in CNP to the cattle guard where the forest reserve starts and I'm in K country at least once a week. The news release to the G&M does not adequately spell out all the nuances of the new requirement. I'm not even sure where the boundaries of K country are?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And I thought the NDP were tax and spend. What a joke. $90. Wow.
So much for taking a casual drive into the mountains. Might be alright for regular users, but it's going to discriminate against people like me who just want a day out. But then, I can't afford the golf course and it's imported white sand either.

Grizz
Old 04-27-2021, 10:21 AM

The dawn of privatization, everyone gets spanked because of the actions of a few or a few thousand.

Pretty soon only rich people will be able to enjoy our recreations.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Map of K Country

https://kananaskistrails.com/where-i...0and%20Canmore.

K Country Map is ^

At least I found out that immediately N of CNP does not apply. K Country in the S doesn't begin until (approx) S and W of Hwy 532.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:33 AM

$90 is a bit steep. $45 ain’t bad but it seems like the UCP is intent on being anything but conservative at this point
Old 04-27-2021, 11:17 AM

The article says 5 Million users. I don't know how many cars that represents, but lets say its 500,000 cars - that's $45 Million in fees they could expect to collect.

That seems like a bit much.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:21 AM

I don't know what the answer is. I live in Canmore, but work in Calgary. Last summer every time I got off a night shift I would get to see first hand the amount of traffic heading south into Kananaskis off of hwy #1. The first couple of times I assumed traffic was super backed up due to a motor vehicle accident. Only to eventually get home to see that Canmore was just as busy. A $90 fee seems reasonable, but I have the opportunity to go into Kananaskis many times a year. I wish the fee made sure that people were going to be super reasonable with their garbage disposal and respect for the environment, but I don't see that being the end result.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Last year k-country was an absolute zoo, with the "city folk" doing "city" things.. I think they had to do this and I welcome it.[/QUOTE]

I was there last year 3 times and agree the place was a zoo last year, imagine if the boarders were open. $90.00 seems a little steep than add a Canada parks pass for $139.00 and crown land pass. Wosa going up to camp then camping fees. All you guys better buy some Recreation land
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM

Well ...

It was a zoo last year, expect more of the same this year.

Was on Spray Lakes Road last week.. never has it been so rutted up IMHO, so if they need more money for upkeep I will pay.

Last edited by Jadham; 04-27-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
The article says 5 Million users. I don't know how many cars that represents, but lets say its 500,000 cars - that's $45 Million in fees they could expect to collect.

That seems like a bit much.
I doubt that 100% will actually go to k country. Just like our hunting fees the government will skim 28%

What kind of changes do you think will come with that money besides a few people staying home and some government official getting fatter
Old 04-27-2021, 12:00 PM

They'll need another 40 CO's just to scan license plates... Or maybe they'll have those park plus cars driving around out in the parks.

For those of us that have accessed and used the provincial parks for decades in a responsible manner, I'm appalled at the absolute idiots out there for the last year and a half.

I did Chester lake about two weeks ago, and I'm shocked there wasn't a need for rescue with the unprepared people thinking they're going for a stroll in a city park.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:11 PM

Since this is happening hopefully there will be more job postings for those interested and cleaner park areas, last year was a mess.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:12 PM

My wife and I are in kananaskis a lot. We tend to frequent places south and west of Calgary. In my observations this year has been crazy. I’ve packed out more than my share of garbage from the back and front country. However. When you quickly add up all the money that we spend on hunting and fishing licences and draws, factor in the new random camping fees and this new fee for K-country income to a combined total of 650 dollars spent before we even leave the door. Thats before you add a NP pass for another 130 dollars.

it seems optimistic at best that even 70% of the revenues collected. Will actually go back to the appropriate resources. Is public land not intended to be public? Wether some chooses to visit or not is irrelevant. The land is there, ear marked for everyone’s enjoyment. Should everyone not equally share the cost?

More enforcement is sorely needed, however, There is no mention as to enforcement for people from out of province or out of country when the need arises again.

I don’t pretend to know everything about the proposed coal mining in Alberta. Is the land they are saying that so desperately needs protecting from hikers and day users not the same mountain tops they want to level ? Seems like a controdiction.

This government seems bound and determined to alienate a large majority of there base support just to make a buck. More accountability and personal responsibility are needed.

This seems like a very ill conceived plan at best.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff336 View Post
My wife and I are in kananaskis a lot. We tend to frequent places south and west of Calgary. In my observations this year has been crazy. I’ve packed out more than my share of garbage from the back and front country. However. When you quickly add up all the money that we spend on hunting and fishing licences and draws, factor in the new random camping fees and this new fee for K-country income to a combined total of 650 dollars spent before we even leave the door. Thats before you add a NP pass for another 130 dollars.

it seems optimistic at best that even 70% of the revenues collected. Will actually go back to the appropriate resources. Is public land not intended to be public? Wether some chooses to visit or not is irrelevant. The land is there, ear marked for everyone’s enjoyment. Should everyone not equally share the cost?

More enforcement is sorely needed, however, There is no mention as to enforcement for people from out of province or out of country when the need arises again.

I don’t pretend to know everything about the proposed coal mining in Alberta. Is the land they are saying that so desperately needs protecting from hikers and day users not the same mountain tops they want to level ? Seems like a controdiction.

This government seems bound and determined to alienate a large majority of there base support just to make a buck. More accountability and personal responsibility are needed.

This seems like a very ill conceived plan at best.
I assure, it is. Heavy fines seems the way it should of went.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
https://kananaskistrails.com/where-i...0and%20Canmore.

K Country Map is ^

At least I found out that immediately N of CNP does not apply. K Country in the S doesn't begin until (approx) S and W of Hwy 532.
It will in time. Wait till the NDP get elected next time.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:29 PM

Another cash grab. Pigs will be pigs. Irresponsible idiots will continue to be irresponsible. This is not going to stop that.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
The dawn of privatization, everyone gets spanked because of the actions of a few or a few thousand.

Pretty soon only rich people will be able to enjoy our recreations.
Exactly. Campsite fees are up this year, $30 crown land fee coming, $139 National Parks Pass and now this $90 cash grab.
I'm sure it won't make much of a difference just like when the Alberta government stopped offering free firewood in campgrounds on the basis it would free up more funds and employees to focus on campground upkeep and repairs...lol.
Next will be individual yearly fees for many other popular parks, it's coming unless people push back. Paying a bunch of user fees and gas being higher now will make a lot of people stay home I think. I'm really starting to question Nixon's direction.....
Where will the user fees stop?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:24 PM

Wink This is just the start, wait until they increase the fees

It's good to see that every vehicle in Canmore, Exshaw, Deadman's Flats, and Kananaskis Village are on the list.
https://kananaskistrails.com/wp-cont...naskis-Map.jpg

Just to be clear- all the people that agreed with the $30 Random Camping fee do not have the right to complain about additional access fees. You are getting more of what you asked for...err demanded.

It's the only way...

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2021, 01:27 PM

Sounds at first like a bit if a cash grab but if anyone read the article or are familiar with the excess expenses this is costing tax payers you would realize it isn't.

I do feel bad for those who are responsible citizens.
There are always a few who ruin it for everyone else .

From the article....

Social media posts on Kananaskis mountain trails in 2020 skyrocketed as Calgarians and others fled the city to find outdoor fun during a pandemic, but so did graffiti on signs, excessive speeding by some drivers, illegal parking, helicopter rescues and garbage.

The surge of people also led to “significant damages” to “delicate flora and fauna which were being crushed or decimated in sensitive areas,” she said.

Ms. Mucha said visitors were also behaving “in a more aggressive way with staff and contractors,” likely because of the underlying stress of the pandemic. Conservation officers had a difficult time responding to the increased enforcement issues, she said, because much of their days were spent on public safety incidents, wildlife response, parking issues and cleaning up garbage.