Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Banned

Default Ontario trying to bring in mandatory energy audits before you sell your home.

Coming to Alberta soon?
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=759172

Enjoy.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Hey Wynn, get behind me and smell this emission.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Hah, get ready for more taxes. The idea to use funds from the cap and trade that Notley is no doubt going to agree to is going to result in Alberta paying for the energy audits in Ontario.

The government likes to bankrupt people, the more people that are reliant on the government the less likely there are to be free thinkers.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Without our money for support payments, think things are going to slow down substantially in Ont. and Quebec government programs.

Grizz
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM

How bout some energy audits on 747's being used to drain
my wallet bringing in UNneeded refugees?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Arrow It's just a matter of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

Coming to Alberta soon? http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=759172 . . .

Truth be known (I worked in the biz), plans like that ^ have been sitting on the shelves at NRCan for years now. With the NDP running Alberta, and the Libs in charge in Ottawa, it's just a matter of time before those plans are implemented here, in one form or another.

From the latest I've heard, announcements about this for Alberta (for new and existing homes), will be made sometime this coming spring.

Buckle Up!

Mac
Old 11-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Keep your chin up fellas.
That way we won't drown as quick!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-29-2015, 03:46 PM

I had 25 years of military postings all over Canada. We bought and sold a good few houses in those years. When selling, we had to have on display for potential buyers to view was our heating and hydro bills for the past year. When buying we were able to view the same info. It was up to us to buy a house partly dependent on how efficient it was to heat and light. Likewise it is upon the seller to make the house sellable by having it energy efficient. Energy audits....JHChrist. Buyer beware. Am I not getting something here? We checked on airport approach and departure paths as well as a ton of other info. Do all these things need an audit as well.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Coming to Alberta soon?
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=759172

Enjoy.
With drastically increased costs for heating and energy overall. There will definitely be value in understanding home heating and cooling costs.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
I had 25 years of military postings all over Canada. We bought and sold a good few houses in those years. When selling, we had to have on display for potential buyers to view was our heating and hydro bills for the past year. When buying we were able to view the same info. It was up to us to buy a house partly dependent on how efficient it was to heat and light. Likewise it is upon the seller to make the house sellable by having it energy efficient. Energy audits....JHChrist. Buyer beware. Am I not getting something here? We checked on airport approach and departure paths as well as a ton of other info. Do all these things need an audit as well.
I'm kind of on the fence with the idea, but I totally agree with this. *If* there are subsidies of sorts tired into the program for improvement in energy efficiency, then there is some marginal amount of good in it. But in all honest one should be able to draw their own conclusion based upon the house itself and past heat/power bills. It really isn't very difficult. This is pretty much just creating another industry for the sake of doing so.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post

. . . *If* there are subsidies of sorts tired into the program for improvement in energy efficiency . . .

Your wish 'may' soon be granted!

Rumor has it from the highest levels in NRCan, that a new and improved version of the old EcoEnergy Home Retrofit Grant Program, may be coming down the tubes ... possibly, sometime in the next six to eight months.

Anyone thinking of making changes to their home that would improve its energy efficiency (HE furnace/aircon, insulation, windows, etc.), might want to hold off and see if this new grant program is brought in next year.

Mac
Old 11-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Upgrades, upgrades, get yer heatin' upgrades! Boilers, boilers, I got hyper-efficient condensing boilers that will knock your socks off! Like hot showers on the cheap? I can hook you up!

While I won't necessarily agree with the big gov't approach to programs such as this, there will be an upside for businesses that can help homes be more efficient (such as your local owner-operated plumbing company ). Low-flow plumbing fixtures, high-efficiency heating systems, etc, etc. Other contractors such as window companies, spray foam outfits, exterior cladding contractors who can sheet foam and re-side or EIFS stucco buildings. HVAC installers could put in all the HRV's and furnaces they can source.....

Hopefully this will spread to small commercial buildings too, lots of small apartments and condo's could stand for boiler upgrades. Sorry to be looking at this from a lemonade perspective, but it could really help a fledgling company like mine to take off.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Ditto Caber's post ^ (post #12)

One of the main reasons the Harper government brought in the last EcoEnergy grant program,
was to help stimulate the economy ... and it worked!

If and when the Libs bring in a new EcoEnergy grant program, the results should be the same.

Mac
Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 PM

Energy efficiency products and upgrades..........cut the taxes out, GST and PST if applicable. There done! No need to create and pay for a whole dept of government auditors and inspectors.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:22 PM

Arrow I wish it would work this way, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post

Energy efficiency products and upgrades..........cut the taxes out, GST and PST if applicable. There done! No need to create and pay for a whole dept of government auditors and inspectors.

Sadly, that ^ only works in a 'perfect' world ... which neither of us have come close to seeing yet.

Having worked down in the trenches in similar grant programs for several years now, I would attest that out of 10 participants without any oversight, most will fail in one form or another . . .
- Two will do it right ... maybe?
- Five will unintentionally do it totally wrong, and fail the core intent of the program.
- The remaining three will outright cheat and do nothing at all, but get away with it.

No disrespect intended, but I think we need a better plan

Mac
Old 11-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Banned

It's none of government's business.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Sadly, that ^ only works in a 'perfect' world ... which neither of us have come close to seeing yet.

Having worked down in the trenches in similar grant programs for several years now, I would attest that out of 10 participants without any oversight, most will fail in one form or another . . .
- Two will do it right ... maybe?
- Five will unintentionally do it totally wrong, and fail the core intent of the program.
- The remaining three will outright cheat and do nothing at all, but get away with it.

No disrespect intended, but I think we need a better plan

Mac
Did you watch the video? Rebates. Carbon tax. Subsidies. European model. 1900 inspectors.....why not audit all houses/buildings/apartments/malls?
No disrespect intended either but I don't need any plan from big wynne corporation. It makes as much sense as montreals mayor, Denis corderre, attending the UN Perrier drinking conference in Paris.
It is poor management, poor leadership, make you feel good while I rob you big government.