Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2021, 12:01 AM

^ Lol.

The heat is brutal. Especially when working on the roof, lol. Have been at it since Saturday (maybe Sunday?) and the more you work, the more work there is. The guy who lived in the house before was either a “I know how to do it” type (when he really didn’t) or a “I know I am doing it wrong and it will make things worse in the long run, but I am going to save a few bucks and pass it on to the next guy to do it properly”. I am leaning towards the latter (lots of things I saw and fixed over the years we have lived here point to that) and I f****** hate people like that. Well, “hate” is a pretty strong word, I will say I really don’t like that type. His “knowhows” caused a lot of problems and quite a bit of rot. Being the “I have to properly fix this” type of a guy, even though I don’t think we will live in this house for more than a couple of years, adds a lot of extra work and dollars.

Slow as a turtle given the weather, but getting there and, thankfully, the heat is calming down. Rain in the forecast tomorrow though, so need wrap things up and put the underlayment and all the good stuff before then.

Nailing those 2x6x16 at the edge is definitely not fun when working with no help.

Stay cool, guys and gals.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-01-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:02 AM

Also, did I say that lumber prices are out of this world!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Also, did I say that lumber prices are out of this world!
Well one thing is for sure you have a good base to work on the lumber and timber looks good for another 50 years easily.stay cool.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Well one thing is for sure you have a good base to work on the lumber and timber looks good for another 50 years easily.stay cool.
Are you installing metal or shingles?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:00 AM

^ Shingles. Would have been metal if I saw us living in this house for years to come.

Complete and ready for shingles now:

I did mess up a bit today though. Had it all prepared and measured up, then put the 16-foot out of order, which made the 12-foot a few inches too short. Ended up using a piece of treated wood I had lying around. What are you gonna do.

This is the before and it isn’t the worst piece by far:

Lumber prices… I paid $300 for 4 2x6x16, 2 2x6x12, 4 1x6x16, and 2 1x6x12. Pretty insane. Luckily, I had some shorter 2x6 lying around for some of the “patches”. When paying, I asked how much a 2x4x8 is and was told it’s just under 10 bucks, lol. I remember paying about $1.70 just 8-9 years ago and less than half that last year (I think it was $3 something and I remember complaining to myself, lol).
Old 07-02-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Shingles. Would have been metal if I saw us living in this house for years to come.

Complete and ready for shingles now:

I did mess up a bit today though. Had it all prepared and measured up, then put the 16-foot out of order, which made the 12-foot a few inches too short. Ended up using a piece of treated wood I had lying around. What are you gonna do.

This is the before and it isn’t the worst piece by far:

Lumber prices… I paid $300 for 4 2x6x16, 2 2x6x12, 4 1x6x16, and 2 1x6x12. Pretty insane. Luckily, I had some shorter 2x6 lying around for some of the “patches”. When paying, I asked how much a 2x4x8 is and was told it’s just under 10 bucks, lol. I remember paying about $1.70 just 8-9 years ago and less than half that last year (I think it was $3 something and I remember complaining to myself, lol).
That 2x4 price is absolutely nuts.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:10 AM

^ For sure!

Moved on to the garage today, thinking that one will be quick to get ready. Well, after cutting about a foot off the panels (a couple of inches of rot at the edge), it was pretty clear it won’t be as quick as I hoped. Off went the gutter (siliconed or glued to fascia in a failed attempt to fix the leakage), along with the fascia, off went the soffit, etc.

Who the f builds like that? No wonder it didn’t work. It appears they simply slapped some 1x6 pieces they had left over from another job and nailed some of them onto the rotted rafters! Well, perhaps, rafters weren’t rotted at the time, but it is doubtful because they did nail those 2x4’s to every single one of them.

Anyway, took a bit of time and another run to the store to get a couple more pieces of overpriced lumber. Didn’t take a pic of the final “product”, but that roof is also ready for shingles now.

It appears I need new fascia and soffit too, lol.

Side note, they tried to raise the gutters (I guess the silicone doesn’t work as well, lol, even though they did put more) and put a few nails and screws right through the drip edge, which caused the water to get in past the fascia onto the wood behind it (same on the house, less silicone). Also, instead of overlapping the drip edge pieces, they left about an inch gap between every one of them. People gonna people, I guess. They used 6 pieces of wood where I ended up with 2, properly nailed (good luck to the next guy taking it apart).
Old 07-04-2021, 02:00 PM

One of thee Dumbest ever DIY's I seen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuG7AUNgAwY
Old 07-07-2021, 06:09 PM

Wink We're gonna need a bigger motor

Fairly sure this translates as "Faster...Go FASTER!"
https://imgur.com/gallery/P9JehWD

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2021, 10:49 PM

Default Wasp nest

Seen this in a field

Last edited by 1886; 08-15-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:49 AM

Bought a medium double double today. The guy in fromt of me asked for 6 sugars and 3 creams in his medium coffee. To each their own, but man…
Old 07-10-2021, 08:56 PM

I can snap all my fingers expect make the snap sound with my pointy finger.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-15-2021, 11:14 PM

Default Breaking News: "Lightening is racist"

George Floyd mural struck by lightning and destroyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezjH9kP5dY
Old 07-15-2021, 11:49 PM

Went looking for blueberries with the kids today and only found six still completely green berries: two bushes with 3 berries on each. Other plants only have leaves that aren’t in best shape either. no berries. Kind of sucks. Didn’t see any cranberries either. The heat and drought I am assuming. We hadn’t had much rain this year and the past 3 or so weeks have been brutal in terms of temperatures. Many wheat and barley fields I saw on the way look like they usually do in ~August colour wise. A complete opposite of last year. I guess it all rained out last year and no water left for this (probably next too, the amount of rain we had last summer).
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM

Exclamation That left a mark

How much force does it take to shift an overpass 6'?
This happened yesterday in Georgia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Georgia overpass.jpg (32.2 KB, 98 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-19-2021, 10:35 PM

Interesting Documentary on tires & how we don’t give a 2nd thought where the rubber comes from..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fusUxEPwsw
Old 07-22-2021, 12:29 PM

Exclamation Pocket article on dog rescue agencies

Interesting article about dog rescue agencies and the history that has lead society to where they are today. Written from the perspective of a US big city mentality, it has insight into the current collective psyche driving the business.
Applies to Canada as well.

https://www.thecut.com/2021/07/why-a...=pocket-newtab

July 19, 2021 by Allie Conti
Excerpts:
Quote:
Adopting used to be a good thing that good people could do. These days, you're probably not good enough.
The rescue dog is now, indisputably, a luxury good, without a market pricing system at work to manage demand. A better analogy might be an Ivy League admissions office. But even Harvard isn't forced to be as picky as, say, Korean K9 Rescue, whose average monthly applications tripled in 2020.
Then came The Ad, released in 2007, it featured close ups of three legged dogs and one eyed cats rescued by the ASPCA over a wrenching rendition of Sarah McLachlan's "Angel". The commercial warned that "for hundreds of others, help came too late." In just a year, The Ad raised 60% of the ASPCA's annual $50M budget. The organization was reportedly able to increase the grant mioney it gave to other animal-welfare organizations by 900% in 10 years. It is difficult to overstate the emotional hangover The Ad inflicted on millenials and members of Gen Z. Janet M. Davis is a historian at the University of Texas at Austin, where she lectures on animal rights to a demographically diverse body of students- everyone from cattle ranchers to vegan punks- most of whom cry when she shows The Ad in class. "It adsolutely brings down the house," she says. "Every time".
The resuce mutt had become not just a virtue signal, but a virtue test. Who was a good enough human being to deserve a dog in need of rescuing?
Posting about your rescue dog on Instagram is an indirect way of broadcasting that someone out there deemed you morally worthy enough to be chosen.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:34 PM

My neighbour would do this, anyone need help from Canada's Worst Handyman?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:56 PM

Default Random posts thread

I was digging around the garage after doing a project with my son.

Somehow there always seems be a tool missing at the end of the fray, especially a 10mm socket.

At any rate, I found my dads old ratchet set. I recall “borrowing” it a lot as a youngster.

Not much left of it, seeing as the random parts have been lost over the better part of half a century.

I smiled as I read the slogan for the company. It resonated with me as a youth, and still does now.

Good tools really do make a difference. Especially on those tougher jobs!

Old 08-05-2021, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
Old 08-05-2021, 04:53 PM

Wink dominoes with a forklift

This is the craziest forklift fail video I've seen so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDNF1trc1E

aka, what happens when you choose a racking system based on capital cost alone.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 AM

Exclamation Things went sideways in a hurry.

Parasailing in Puerto Vallarta in 3 gifs.
All things considered, it ends reasonably well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/w6ba0Uy

Old 08-06-2021, 11:20 AM

I'll be scared too!
https://globalnews.ca/news/8091129/e...sumo-wrestler/
Wonder how it looks on the other side...
Old 08-06-2021, 08:56 PM

Forehead antiperspirants are a thing to prevent sweat stains on hats.

Who knew.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 PM

This is not meant to upset or offend anyone. Just thought it was fun. My FN friends had a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxK...AitFEg&index=1
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 PM

Be careful handling and eating armadillos as you can catch leprosy.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:19 AM

What else isn't being caught on school camera's..
if that were my kid at end of vid, blood would be simmering to a boil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMyw2rL-2s
Old 08-24-2021, 08:27 AM

Submarine racing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0utBfPhtjg

Old 08-24-2021, 08:55 PM

staying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frog snake alligator.jpg (58.2 KB, 63 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-24-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
staying.
OH YEAH!!
Cat