Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 PM

Default Arrow FOC

The current arrow I soot has a neutral FOC. Is that a bad thing? I have read lots that it should be 10-15% but if it isn't, is that OK too?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 PM

My FOC is pretty low also my arrows shoot well and have had past through arrows. I feel FOC is important but its okay being lower if your set up is working well for you.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
The current arrow I soot has a neutral FOC. Is that a bad thing? I have read lots that it should be 10-15% but if it isn't, is that OK too?
FOC helps the fletching stabilize the arrow. The further the balance point is from the fletching the more effective and repetitive the fletching can be since it gets more "leverage" so to speak You should have a little FOC, but if this arrow works for you go for it. Personally I have had target arrows for indoor 3d that were around 4% that flew like darts and never missed a beat. I try to be 8% or better for my outdoor stuff including my hunting arrows.

Jmo,

Norm
Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Foc

You must have very very heavy fletch and wrap with very little point weight to end up with a neutral FOC. Even an 85 gr point plus an insert should weigh more than a wrap and fletching?

Post what your arrow fletch and wrap are and what the point and insert weight are, along with your nock and arrow shaft...(I'm wondering if somehow you are not measuring and calculating FOC correctly?) Obviously you have enough fletch drag to control the arrow in flight.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:03 PM

FOC is SUPER important for arrow flight, especially with broadheads. If your arrows fly perfect with broadheads its not much of an issue.