Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Baitcaster Question

Never cast one ever. Thinking of giving it a go.

Question: will a small splice knot like say a double uni for say a short 10 foot leader to drop a some line sizes get hung up enough in guides to cause a birds nest? I might like to still bobber fish some trout ponds now and then with it. I know probably not ideal for trout but. Im think ideally a guy wouldnt want anything that can slow line down right?

Please only if you tried it i dont want guess's. Thanks in advance for any who reply i will keep a eye out for responce's
Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Likely yes
Baitcasters have their place and they are great for their applications - but not a general use / average guy reel in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong - I love mine. But for a general purpose rod - I would say stick with something else.

Or get multiple rod/reel combos
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM

It depends more I think on the weight of the lure you are throwing. I have a 3 ft leader attached with a double uni and have not had a birds nest that I would attribute to that. I would suggest that you spend some serious time getting used to your bait caster though before going down that trail.Spend a lot of time practicing in the yard first and then spend some more time after that. Also ,in my opinion it is easier to operate on a round reel than a low profile. I find the low profile reels to be just a bit too small in the hand. i bought a Abu SX6600 for about a $100 a few years ago and I like it. A few weeks ago I picked up a Kastking Rover 40 off ebay for $53 because of all the great reviews I read on line and I have not been disappointed.
Whichever way you go I would suggest you bring along your normal rod and reel when you you go fishing with the new bait caster because when it bites you ( it will ) then you can always switch back to the old tried and true rather than ruining the trip
Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM

You use bait casters when you need to fight big fish , you need lots of line capacity or if you want really precise control of cast distance. it would be a PIA for trout and a float or at least trout pond trout, a steelhead rig is typically a bait caster.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Unfortuneately baitcasters have never really caught on in Canada. In the states I would suggest in many cases they are used as much as spin casters. More precise and farther casts are 2 advantages but if you have a low rider type bait cast which generally are the nicer ones you wont get any more line than a spincast. The larger trolling units you will.To answer your knot question it will all depend on your knot size a line diameter. Some of the braids you can get some pretty thin diameter so check that out too. And of course the person casting is the biggest thing.