Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Default Anyone want to guess what a factory exhaust system costs on a Ford diesel?

We had an F350 diesel parked at a hotel in Leduc and someone hacked the exhaust system off. First estimate to replace came in at $11 252. Add a tow and sending guys to drop off another truck for the stranded driver, and this is going
to cost us well over $12 000. RCMP were notified and haven’t returned our call. The theft was recorded on the security cameras but not in enough detail to be useful other than we know they stole it at 2 am.

We purchase these trucks for around $50 000, and I can’t believe that the exhaust system could constitute more than 20% of the vehicle cost. Also disappointing that the RCMP won’t look at a $12 000 crime.

The truck was parked in a well lit area under a security camera, so the thieves were bold and I’m not sure how to defend against another similar theft. I’m tempted to delete my personal truck before someone hacks the exhaust off of it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 PM

I assume this unit is 2011 or newer and has DEF and DPF systems on the exhaust? Just delete it. Bet it'll cost you closer to $2k. Will extend the longevity of your engine also.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 PM

It’s a 2017. If it was my own truck, I would just delete it. It’s more complicated with a company truck that needs a CVIP.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 AM

That is absurd. But I believe it. I got dinged just on the rear door of my crew cab. Nothing crazy but slightly noticeable... $5000 quotes from 2 different places. They both said they need to take the box off, and repaint that entire side of the truck including front quarter panel for paint to match. It was crazy to me, but I guess that's how they are now.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
We had an F350 diesel parked at a hotel in Leduc and someone hacked the exhaust system off. First estimate to replace came in at $11 252. Add a tow and sending guys to drop off another truck for the stranded driver, and this is going
to cost us well over $12 000. RCMP were notified and haven’t returned our call. The theft was recorded on the security cameras but not in enough detail to be useful other than we know they stole it at 2 am.

We purchase these trucks for around $50 000, and I can’t believe that the exhaust system could constitute more than 20% of the vehicle cost. Also disappointing that the RCMP won’t look at a $12 000 crime.

The truck was parked in a well lit area under a security camera, so the thieves were bold and I’m not sure how to defend against another similar theft. I’m tempted to delete my personal truck before someone hacks the exhaust off of it.
As far as RCMP response, friends of our had two pick ups stolen from their acreage. RCMP never did make an appearance.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Last edited by last minute; 07-19-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:31 AM

Anything to do with vehicle theft the RCMP don’t generally do a damn thing about it. There is so much theft now a days that they wouldn’t keep up. Buddy of mine got his truck stolen about 8 years ago from a hotel parking lot in Nisku and another buddy a couple months later got his stolen from a parking lot in Swan Hills. RCMP took down the details of the stolen vehicles over phone and told them that it would go into their system and if it turned up it turned up. One turned up in Edmonton was involved in a high speed chase about 2 weeks after being stolen. The other one turned up out by Cynthia on a back road burnt to a crisp after it was used in a bank robbery. Both trucks were Fords you would think that after the amount of thefts Ford would do something about their vehicles being so easy to break into.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Hey, you keep buying this over priced, over complicated crap, bite the bullet.

Grizz
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 AM

It costs money to respond to property theft complaints, as opposed to making money handing out traffic tickets.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
As far as RCMP response, friends of our had two pick ups stolen from their acreage. RCMP never did make an appearance.
I'll play the devils advocate.
Why would they come?
If the bad guys are gone, what are they going to do other than tell you to call your insurance company.
Hollywood has convinced us how reliable fingerprints, shoeprints, etc are...it's not the case. It's why when you hear of a big drug or theft ring bust it's often mentioned out the case has been ongoing for a year or more.
It takes that long to gather enough evidence to be sure of getting a conviction.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:23 AM

$12K is outrageous for an exhaust system what I find even more ridiculous is spending $100K on a truck then spending another $2K for a muffler that makes it sound like a tractor ???
Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 AM

Check the local wreckers or carpart.com. It lists wreckers and what they have.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Why would they come?
If the bad guys are gone, what are they going to do other than tell you to call your insurance company.
Hollywood has convinced us how reliable fingerprints, shoeprints, etc are...it's not the case. It's why when you hear of a big drug or theft ring bust it's often mentioned out the case has been ongoing for a year or more.
It takes that long to gather enough evidence to be sure of getting a conviction.
I did not say they should come, I was merely stating they do not. I assume they are concentrating their resources on other crimes they deem more serious.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:59 AM

They don't take them out nicely when they steal them. All the sensors get cut at wiring. The exhaust pipes are stainless steel. Precocious metals involved in the making of cats and filters. Not cheap to replace.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
It’s a 2017. If it was my own truck, I would just delete it. It’s more complicated with a company truck that needs a CVIP.
Ah. Yeah like the poster above me mentioned the thieves aren't friendly when yanking them out. Alternatively I would try calling some diesel shops that do deletes and see if they would sell you an exhaust system recently taken off a 2017-19 Ford 6.7L diesel. Install is always going to cost a crap ton but could save a lot on getting a used exhaust system.

Overall though, truck parts are just getting insanely expensive. No wonder insurance keeps going up and up. Apparently to get a replacement Ford Platinum tailgate from a Ford dealer can cost upwards of $4000 alone...
Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Ah. Yeah like the poster above me mentioned the thieves aren't friendly when yanking them out. Alternatively I would try calling some diesel shops that do deletes and see if they would sell you an exhaust system recently taken off a 2017-19 Ford 6.7L diesel. Install is always going to cost a crap ton but could save a lot on getting a used exhaust system.

Overall though, truck parts are just getting insanely expensive. No wonder insurance keeps going up and up. Apparently to get a replacement Ford Platinum tailgate from a Ford dealer can cost upwards of $4000 alone...

Just the platinum badge on the tailgate is 2000. Don’t ask how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM

One factory rim for my 2013 F150 was $1000 for the stealership. And almost impossible to find one from a wrecker.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM

"But, but ,but, look at the clean air you have and the thousands of jobs and billions of dollars of research and development and infrastructure we created by passing these emissions and safety regulations!!" It adds up to somewhere in the region 1/3 to 1/2 of the initial price of the vehicle these days.

in 2008 these guys were down to 1100.00/share, year later, 2500.00+

https://matthey.com/
Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 PM

Thirty years ago someone priced out building a Beetle from parts. Back then it was soemthing like $200,000 for a vehicle that cost $4,500 new. Apparently not much has changed.

The suggestion to talk to one of the places that specialize in deleting diesel vehicles is probably the best advice you will get.They don't have much use for all the take off parts so should be able to cut a real good deal. Also a great place to have it installed, they have lots of practice taking them off.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I did not say they should come, I was merely stating they do not. I assume they are concentrating their resources on other crimes they deem more serious.
Mea culpa. I was responding not to you personally but to all the people who would normally take a chance after reading your post to respond how the cops are too busy eating donuts to respond to property crimes.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:58 PM

We had our shop truck parked at work in Airdrie,2013 F350, its a motorcycle shop. They pulled up around 3 am last November, rolled under the truck and were gone in 10 minutes. $12200 something the insurance paid. Boss is all happy. Last may, truck parked in our compound at back of building, better lights, better cameras. Come to work Tuesday, exhaust gone. Twice in same year. We had the truck deleted as it was 2500 instead of another 12 grand. Rcmp, uninterested. Im waiting for them to take mine so I can delete it without my wife being mad at me. Lol.
But boy, we’d a liked to have caught them buggers.
Tullfan
Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
in alberta you dont dpf for cvip

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Why would they come?
The EPS sent out a video expert to look at our security footage when our newspaper was stolen about a month ago.
Go figure...
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

DPF filters aren’t cheap, that’s why I quit running diesels nothing is cheap when you own one.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
One factory rim for my 2013 F150 was $1000 for the stealership. And almost impossible to find one from a wrecker.
I have bought several sets of factory takeoff rims and tires with caps nuts and tpms for my superduty for $1000 per set or less

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post

To replace the new GM fold out tailgates on the higher grade models cost from $7000 - $9000 depending on trim levels.

I don't know who is bigger the insurance companies or the auto manufacturers, but insurance should go after the manufacturers for price gouging. Then again it justifies insurance companies raising their rates. They operate on a target profit margin, the premiums reflect the cost of repairs vs premium profit margin so if the % of profit remains the same they make more the higher the premium and repair cost ratio goes.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 AM

I would think the insurance companies and body shops don't pay full list price from Ford or whoever. They probably only show the list price to the end user.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 AM

So out of curiosity, just what are these thieves doing with all these stolen exhausts? Can't imagine there is much of a market for one that was hacked out with a reciprocating saw. If they are selling them for the metal value, who is the skell metal shop buying what are obviously stolen goods? You would think that would be a pretty easy target for the Cops to shut down.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
To replace the new GM fold out tailgates on the higher grade models cost from $7000 - $9000 depending on trim levels.

I don't know who is bigger the insurance companies or the auto manufacturers, but insurance should go after the manufacturers for price gouging. Then again it justifies insurance companies raising their rates. They operate on a target profit margin, the premiums reflect the cost of repairs vs premium profit margin so if the % of profit remains the same they make more the higher the premium and repair cost ratio goes.
The problem is with both . Insurance likes to dictate what they will pay. Insurance will agree to quote then fight with it after repair is done. I've seen insurance companies dictate shop rate for a repair as well.

I'm sure manufacturers increase prices on body parts at their level as well. They don't have to replace a bumper skin very often under warranty. They sell to dealer at inflated pricing. Dealer doesn't sell at cost as they need to make money as well. Just like your local parts store. They buy at reduced price and mark it up to full retail.

Sometimes it's the adjusters that really mess up and things get done twice instead of just one time. So a vehicle hits a curb, adjuster doesn't want a wheel bearing replaced . Job is completed and on road test has bearing noise from accident. Paying twice the labour to do something that should have been done to begin with.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So out of curiosity, just what are these thieves doing with all these stolen exhausts? Can't imagine there is much of a market for one that was hacked out with a reciprocating saw. If they are selling them for the metal value, who is the skell metal shop buying what are obviously stolen goods? You would think that would be a pretty easy target for the Cops to shut down.
Go price out a dpf filter.