Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I was blaming the wrong appliance for my clothes shrinking, thought it was the dryer when it is actually the fridge
Ha ha yup!!

We aren’t victims of our genetics, we are victims of what we decide to put on our plates..
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
What happens to your body the second you go off Keto?This might be a good fad to lose some weight but I doubt it would be a long term way to eat healthy.If you have a family of 4 or 5 are you cooking everything seperate for yourselves or are the kids stuck on this too.And are you getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs or just eating pills from a health food store.Cutting out excess sugar from your diet makes a healthy choice but totally cutting out carbs does not make sense to me.You can still have a very healthy and strong body and mind by eating properly-with carbs and exercise.Diets never last.
Carbs aren’t an essential macro or nutrient. Never were. People have become too dependent on them for absolutey no reason. Just look around...
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM

I am intrigued.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM

So for a newbie that would like to get going on the program what's the easiest road ?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
So for a newbie that would like to get going on the program what's the easiest road ?
Join this facebook group and use the search function alot.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1901906003411152/

Set your macros by using this

https://www.ketogains.com/calculator/
Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 PM

I've tried the south beach diet a number of years ago and lost a fair bit of weight but I was always hungry. Started keto a few days ago and will see how it goes.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Day five

Well this morning I woke with more energy than I've had in a very long time. I bent down and pulled my socks on with no effort. I've dropped 10 lbs since I started the diet, and I don't care if it's water or me. It's ten lbs I am no longer carrying around all day. I'm feeling great.
If your looking for a way to start, purge the pantry, the fridge and the freezer, and restock them with the good stuff.
Last night I put together a vegetable casserole, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peppers, asparagus, and tomatoes. Topped that with sprinkle of olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic plus, Salt and Pepper, Covered that with an Alfredo sauce, and shredded cheddar cheese, and feta cheese. and baked it for a 1/2 hr.
Delicious...
Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM

Day 4, down 5 lbs.

Back in the groove and feeling great !!!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM

If you are doing real keto, (less than 20g carbs and no more than 80g protien) and eating to your TDEE. Be sure to keep up on your electrolyte intake or you will end up with keto flu (electrolyte imbalance). I’ve been on it that way since last May and am down 40lbs and that’s eating 2600-3500 calories a day! Now at my goal weight and feel great! It’s not about the calories, it’s about keeping insulin low! I did the 5000 calorie challenge for 2 weeks and lost 5lbs during that time. If you calorie restrict it’s no different than any other “ diet”, you will stall and begin to gain eventually. You will gain very quickly if you go back to 2, 3, 400g of carbs/day

1-2 teaspoon pink salt daily
2-400mg potassium citrate
2-400mg magnesium glycinate
B complex
Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
If you are doing real keto, (less than 20g carbs and no more than 80g protien) and eating to your TDEE. Be sure to keep up on your electrolyte intake or you will end up with keto flu (electrolyte imbalance). I’ve been on it that way since last May and am down 40lbs and that’s eating 2600-3500 calories a day! Now at my goal weight and feel great! It’s not about the calories, it’s about keeping insulin low! I did the 5000 calorie challenge for 2 weeks and lost 5lbs during that time. If you calorie restrict it’s no different than any other “ diet”, you will stall and begin to gain eventually. You will gain very quickly if you go back to 2, 3, 400g of carbs/day

B complex
It’s still “real” keto if you are above 20 grams of carbs and in ketosis. Keto is about being in ketosis. Some can be in ketosis with 50 to 100 grams of carbs.
Everyone has a different chemical makeup...
Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:

B complex

Everyones macros will be different "real keto" is not just 1 set of macros for everyone in the world. Calories do make a different hence why the keto gains calculator is so successful and popular. You stick to the macros on it and you will lose wait. You can pick if you want to maintain, lose fat or build muscle and it calculates it all.

161 protein
110 fat (fat you do not have to meet, just helps satisfy and feel satiated)
20 carbs

calories 1714

it changes as I lose weight but I dropped 44lbs in 2 months with working out and following the macros and have the most energy I have ever had in my life.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Day 1

Lessons learned.

Lots of carbs everywhere.

Turned down donut and pop.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Have always eaten like that...I don't call it a diet
Yes, it really pi**es me off when you look at everything in the grocery store is loaded with carbs. No wonder cancer and dementia are on the rise!

Last edited by Skytop B; 02-04-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Everyones macros will be different "real keto" is not just 1 set of macros for everyone in the world. Calories do make a different hence why the keto gains calculator is so successful and popular. You stick to the macros on it and you will lose wait. You can pick if you want to maintain, lose fat or build muscle and it calculates it all. It gets harder to lose the closer you get to your goal weight. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, then you are running on glucose instead of fat. Excess protein will be converted to glucose then you are running on glucose instead of fat. It gets harder to lose as you get down to that last 10lbs.

161 protein
110 fat (fat you do not have to meet, just helps satisfy and feel satiated)
20 carbs

calories 1714

it changes as I lose weight but I dropped 44lbs in 2 months with working out and following the macros and have the most energy I have ever had in my life.
Didn't mean to offend anyone there. The protocol I follow is a lot higher calories. You can't keep your insulin levels low eating 100g of carbs. The protocol I follow is to keep calories at or above your total dietary energy expendidure and to keep insulin low and glucagon high. After being on this for a while I can have a slip day and eat 200g of carbs and still be back above 0.5mmol/L keytones by noon. Yes, everyone's macros will be different but in the protocol I follow 80g is max for men, 50g for women. A person just has to try different things and see what works best for them.

My macros are as follows:

2600 calories minimum (ususally around 3000)

20g carbs
max 80g protein
+/- 270g fat

No I do not stick to this religiously but when I do I have much more energy and the fat and inflammation comes off real fast. If I stall I eat more, not less.

Last edited by Skytop B; 02-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM

A few videos worth watching for the curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MFJhmpDjg&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-AIXBGVLNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdEYB6M_4Y

I took Jack's personal coaching and it works for me...

Last edited by Skytop B; 02-04-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Day 1

Lessons learned.

Lots of carbs everywhere.

Turned down donut and pop.
Good on ya! It gets easier.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Good on ya! It gets easier.

Cheers,

Scott.
Thanks

Hardest part is figuring out what I can and can’t eat. Hit a salad bar and got a lecture from a couple keto’ers. Didn’t realize how strict the veggies are. Has couple tablespoons of corn and 5 snap peas in my salad along with a smidge of raw onions. Still with a slice of chicken breast it felt healthy.

Not sure yet how to count the carbs correctly. Count grams of carbs and subtract fibre someone said for net.

Going to have to watch the videos.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:12 PM

Started Keto back in September...Lost almost 30 lbs so far but it is actually a lifestyle change....

I used to drink at least 2l of 1% milk everyday and starches....along with my protein and veggies....

I would of lost more than 30lbs but xmas came...LOL...

Biggest key is to stay away from the carbs and get back on track, which I do every week.....I usually have one cheat day a week now that I have been low carbs since September....

You need to use this keto diet as a lifestyle change going forward. If you do not, you will just gain all your weight back within 2 weeks to a month....
Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Hardest part is figuring out what I can and can’t eat. Hit a salad bar and got a lecture from a couple keto’ers. Didn’t realize how strict the veggies are. Has couple tablespoons of corn and 5 snap peas in my salad along with a smidge of raw onions. Still with a slice of chicken breast it felt healthy.

Not sure yet how to count the carbs correctly. Count grams of carbs and subtract fibre someone said for net.

Peas, corn and carrots have sugar in them which relates to carbs...

I still eat them once in awhile when i get tired of romaine, brocolli, cauliflower, zucchinni...ETC....
Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Best way is to use an app on your phone. carb counter, my fitness pal etc
Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 PM

So is it a general consensus that you’ll lose more calories with a Keto diet or a caloric restricted diet? When it all comes down to it, isn’t calories in vs calories out the best way to lose weight?

I’m tracking my food with an app on my iPhone. To lose 2lbs per week I can eat around 2400 calories per day. I couple that with intermittent fasting and a guy can pretty much eat what he wants but I’m more Keto leaning. Try to limit my carbs just cause they take up more of my caloric budget. But I don’t beat myself up if I eat too many. For example, today I had a couple espressos for breakfast, a bran muffin and a couple peanut butter energy balls my wife makes for lunch. For supper, I ate bout 600g of pork loin cooked Greek style with some sous vide carrots finished in butter. I’m at 1400 calories for the day and have about 1000 to spare if I want desert (or could’ve hd a bigger breakfast or lunch). Down about 15 lbs since Jan 7 (mostly water weight I’m sure). It’s all about portion control in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
So is it a general consensus that you’ll lose more calories with a Keto diet or a caloric restricted diet? When it all comes down to it, isn’t calories in vs calories out the best way to lose weight?

I’m tracking my food with an app on my iPhone. To lose 2lbs per week I can eat around 2400 calories per day. I couple that with intermittent fasting and a guy can pretty much eat what he wants but I’m more Keto leaning. Try to limit my carbs just cause they take up more of my caloric budget. But I don’t beat myself up if I eat too many. For example, today I had a couple espressos for breakfast, a bran muffin and a couple peanut butter energy balls my wife makes for lunch. For supper, I ate bout 600g of pork loin cooked Greek style with some sous vide carrots finished in butter. I’m at 1400 calories for the day and have about 1000 to spare if I want desert (or could’ve hd a bigger breakfast or lunch). Down about 15 lbs since Jan 7 (mostly water weight I’m sure). It’s all about portion control in my opinion.
You are way more worried about calories than carbs....Do not worry about calories whatsoever....Carbs is what counts...Your pork and butter is fine...Carrots are a once in awhile.....
Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
You are way more worried about calories than carbs....Do not worry about calories whatsoever....Carbs is what counts...Your pork and butter is fine...Carrots are a once in awhile.....
exactly
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:

You are right about portion control and calories.If you reduce the amount of calories you are regularly eating every day and exercise more you will absolutely lose weight.Its all about making better choices when eating.You can still eat those terrible carbs that everyone is so worried about and lose weight.If you eat all foods and cut back on sweets you will not have those terrible cravings that leads everyone to fail.That does not mean eat away on cakes,donuts etc.Its ok to have one Timbit just not 20.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You are right about portion control and calories.If you reduce the amount of calories you are regularly eating every day and exercise more you will absolutely lose weight.Its all about making better choices when eating.You can still eat those terrible carbs that everyone is so worried about and lose weight.If you eat all foods and cut back on sweets you will not have those terrible cravings that leads everyone to fail.That does not mean eat away on cakes,donuts etc.Its ok to have one Timbit just not 20.
KETO is not all about losing weight, its about being healthy. People do not realize what carbs, grains, bread, sugars do to the body.

I cant remember when I had bread or anything of the sort last. When I did I regretted it. I went out for dinner one night, splurged and just hammered all kinds of carbs. Man, blood pressure shot up and I was instantly tired. Also the main thing was the inflammation shot up. Old injuries started hurting, sore etc.

I thought it was a 1 time thing but every time I cheat like that I pay for it dearly. So I just dont bother anymore. I may push it with some foods but it is not worth going all out and gorging on crap.

My wife makes a real good break, bagels etc with almond flour. its so good. Low carb and healthy.

Food is an addiction. That is why people fail at diets or this way of eating.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
On a Keto diet? Won’t that take you out of ketogenic state and have to start over?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
On a Keto diet? Won’t that take you out of ketogenic state and have to start over?
Yes the whole point of KETO is staying under 20grams of carbs. KETO diet is about staying in a state of ketosis
Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Please watch this, lifechanging! I have never been grossly obese but for the last 15-20 years struggled with losing and gaining the same 30-40lbs. and this us exactly what my roblem was. I’ve been keto for around 9 months. Lost the 40 pounds in 3 months and have kept it iff so far. I did this without working out and eating lots, just not carbs.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please watch this, lifechanging! I have never been grossly obese but for the last 15-20 years struggled with losing and gaining the same 30-40lbs. and this us exactly what my roblem was. I’ve been keto for around 9 months. Lost the 40 pounds in 3 months and have kept it iff so far. I did this without working out and eating lots, just not carbs.

Excellent for you !!!