Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 10:29 PM

Default South of Brooks around Rolling Hills.

I will be in Rolling Hills (south of Brooks) this week for 3 days. I was wondering where the good places to fish around here for Jack, perch, Walleye are. Anyone know good place?

There is a Bow river not too far from here, crossing highway 875. Any good holes in the Bow? Being this far south east, I should not expect trout here? Maybe walleye, gold eye, etc...??

If there is a trout pond nearby, I can use the information too. Appreciate if you know if they are stocked or not this year though.

I will be fishing from the shore. I use both spinning rod with bait or lures as well as fly fishing. I also have chest waders if necessary.

Your info will be most valuable to me. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 AM

People fish the inlet into rolling hills from Newell for walleye in the evening.
You could drive down to the forks and try for sturgeon.
You could drive down to bow city and just west of town in the gravel pit there used to be trout.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 AM

The bridge just passed Hays on the 875 can be a good spot, you can go on a little farther to Scope Reservoir too.

If you fish at the bridge the far side (South?) is owned by Hays Grazing, never had an issue getting permission to fish there. The closer side to Hays is owned by I believe the Gutfriends, close to the bridge you'll see a huge house up on the hill. It's the only one out there. Make sure you ask before fishing their side of the bridge, they really don't like people randomly walking onto their land.

Personal experience, early on in my fishing days I made the mistake of assuming bridges were fair game lol.

Twelve Mile Coulee Reservoir is about 10 minutes from Rolling Hills too, you may get lucky there if it isn't too weedy yet. You could also try Kitsum, same deal for weeds.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks Joe and Raw. Your info was much appreciated.

I went out to the Bow on 875, and fished by the bridge but it was muddy and stunk.

I Tried Twelve mile coulee lake after. But it was weedy.

Tomorrow, I will try the inlet of the Rolling Hills reservoir.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:33 AM

Update. I went to Rolling Reservoir this morning and I caught 3 big walleyes.
50cm x2
55cm x1
All good fight.
Though I had to catch and release, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks guys for your info.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing down here sucks. We have irrigation companies that relentlessly poison fish and poison fish and poison fish and poison more fish. Really neat.

This happens regularly, indiscriminately, and is supposed to be ok, but the fisherman cannot kill a stinking pike in how many reservoirs?

Where are the C&R cult people on this one? Poison fish, poison fish, poison fish.

Infrastructure needs to be made on every single reservoir outlet to capture/hold the vast majority of the fish entering canals prior to them escaping down the canals and then be systematically and regularly poisoned indiscriminately. Simple solution, give the ACA people a worthwhile job in the summer returning fish instead of mowing grass on parking areas that nobody uses.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Update. I went to Rolling Reservoir this morning and I caught 3 big walleyes.
50cm x2
55cm x1
All good fight.
Though I had to catch and release, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks guys for your info.

Rolling Hills Res does have some terrific fishing. I've caught 40in northerns from shore. Congrats on the walleye, I wish you could harvest one!