Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Couple of grizzly pics from today

My buddy and I were fishing at Lower K Lake today when this bear decided to make an appearance. The parks people were following him with the collar and were warning people that there was a bear in the area. Two guys fishing from shore got boxed in by the bear, and with a little bit of yelling, the bear moved off. He came down to the lake shore, picked up a fish, left, then came back. It was pretty cool to watch over the period of about 10 minutes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think they do a pretty good job of managing bear / human conflicts in such a crowded area.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM

Cool pictures

Managed to a successful outcome. I wonder how far they follow these collard bears. Or if they track them 24/7 to prevent bear/human contact.

BW
Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 PM

That's a big boy, and the bear also. Cool pics, thanks!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 AM

Wow, what a memory that makes. Kinda makes ya wonder in the last pic what the bear might be thinking of the CO with the rifle.
Did the bear catch his own fish or did he steal it? With the bears taking the bull trout, no wonder we can't have any Now!!! Did you catch a fish as big as the bear got?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
My buddy and I were fishing at Lower K Lake today when this bear decided to make an appearance. The parks people were following him with the collar and were warning people that there was a bear in the area. Two guys fishing from shore got boxed in by the bear, and with a little bit of yelling, the bear moved off. He came down to the lake shore, picked up a fish, left, then came back. It was pretty cool to watch over the period of about 10 minutes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think they do a pretty good job of managing bear / human conflicts in such a crowded area.

A touch unnerving grizz is homing in on fishermans catch-cool experience though and a great photo sequence.

Thanks for sharing.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Nice set of pictures but what I see is one more grizzly being trained that people aren't dangerous. You can approach real close and nothing bad happens. Longer term that is not going to work out well for someone.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Yup, another bear all too habituated to humans.

Grizz
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Banned

That shotgun should have a couple bean bags in it
These critters need an education
Old 07-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Who is the guy with a shotgun in the last picture? Chuck Norris?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Exclamation Awesome photos!

Associating humans with easy food? What could go wrong?
If this is allowed to continue, fishing the Kananaskis Lakes will be like fishing in Alaska.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salmon fishing guide.jpg (25.9 KB, 178 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 PM

LOL this place can be too much, now every bear in a national park that comes near people needs to be shot. You fellas need to worry more about driving on the highway then the furry evil human killing machines.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
LOL this place can be too much, now every bear in a national park that comes near people needs to be shot. You fellas need to worry more about driving on the highway then the furry evil human killing machines.
And you watch way too much Disney channel. This bear doesn't need to be shot, at least not yet, but it does need come negative conditioning. Some rubber bullets or bean bags would be a real good start. Letting it steal fish and walk within 20 yards of humans with no repercussions is just setting the bear up to be euthanized later. You have no idea how many "Park" bears get disposed of because they become far too habituated to humans. If most people knew how many bears are put down a year there would be a massive hue and cry from the uneducated public, yet this is the same public that ads greatly to the problem by feeding bears and getting them used to humans in close proximity. Then when stuff goes wrong it is the bear that usually pays the ultimate price.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
And you watch way too much Disney channel. This bear doesn't need to be shot, at least not yet, but it does need come negative conditioning. Some rubber bullets or bean bags would be a real good start. Letting it steal fish and walk within 20 yards of humans with no repercussions is just setting the bear up to be euthanized later. You have no idea how many "Park" bears get disposed of because they become far too habituated to humans. If most people knew how many bears are put down a year there would be a massive hue and cry from the uneducated public, yet this is the same public that ads greatly to the problem by feeding bears and getting them used to humans in close proximity. Then when stuff goes wrong it is the bear that usually pays the ultimate price.
I agree deterrent is needed. Rubber bullets would have been a good start.

Ho many problem bears are put down a year in Alberta? Grizzlies and blacks.

How many fishermen are killed fishing in Alaska? How do they manage the bears in Alaska?

BW
Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM
Banned

So it seems like every park ranger or CO officer says not to go too close to bears....... but it is ok for them to do so?
Nothing like prevoking this bear to make a bad choice so it needs to get shot!
I'm not impressed
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
So it seems like every park ranger or CO officer says not to go too close to bears....... but it is ok for them to do so?
Nothing like prevoking this bear to make a bad choice so it needs to get shot!
I'm not impressed
The parks people did a great job putting themselves between the two guys fishing and the bear I think. (I took the pics). The parks people showed up because they were tracking the bear with the radio collar, and when the bear showed up, I thought they did a good job of taking control of a situation that could have turned bad for either the bear or anyone (there were other people on the lake shore too) else nearby. This is right across from the boat launch at a day use area, so very popular with people.

Just for the record, the fish the bear stole was already dead I believe - it wasn't robbing someone's catch, it may have been a fish that didn't survive being caught then released.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Nice set of pictures but what I see is one more grizzly being trained that people aren't dangerous. You can approach real close and nothing bad happens. Longer term that is not going to work out well for someone.
On the other hand, going into the parks, it’s easy to see people approaching bears to get pics thinking they aren’t dangerous.....nothing happens to them for reprocussions... except maybe an attack sometimes.....2 way street.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
On the other hand, going into the parks, it’s easy to see people approaching bears to get pics thinking they aren’t dangerous.....nothing happens to them for reprocussions... except maybe an attack sometimes.....2 way street.
Agree completely, as you can see from my post #13 in this very thread.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM

So what were they tracking it for. Were they going to change the batteries in the radio collar when the bear went to sleep
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 PM

That habituated bear is not worth the risk to people to save. That whole valley needs to be closed off to the public if they want to save it. IF not, Ka Pow.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:59 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...lake-1.5215869

Bear was a problem for THREE FRIGGIN years and came damn close to killing two people before it was dealt with. People wonder why letting bears get away with bad behaviour isn't acceptable. After all, it is just a bear being a bear and we are in its territory. What a pile~!!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 AM

Smile A story with a happy ending

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...lake-1.5215869

Bear was a problem for THREE FRIGGIN years and came damn close to killing two people before it was dealt with. People wonder why letting bears get away with bad behaviour isn't acceptable. After all, it is just a bear being a bear and we are in its territory. What a pile~!!!!
"Use bear spray" they say, "it's totally effective", they say, "no need to shoot a bear that's just being a bear" they say. The Disneyfied members of our society should take note of this story, but they won't.

Here's a link and an excerpt from the Calgary Sun story:
Quote:
Lee Mandeville, one of the officers, said the bear ripped their canoe to shreds, leaving the travellers with no mode of transportation. The bruin also destroyed their tent and took their food.

“By the time we arrived they were out of their bear spray and it was just perfect timing,” he said from Yellowknife on Wednesday.

Mandeville said other than not having a firearm with them, the couple seemed to do everything right.

“Unfortunately they just came across that problem wildlife and it ended their trip pretty quick.”
https://calgarysun.com/news/national...e-cb2c2519a30c

ETA- this story will make a good advertisement for inReach.

Quote:
The RCMP got the report through the International Emergency Response Co-ordination Center. It is run by Texas-based company GEOS to help co-ordinate search and rescue operations around the world for people using satellite emergency devices. Mandeville said the couple sent a distress signal using an inReach device.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-18-2019, 07:24 AM

2 grizzly bears were trapped and euthanized in a Rocky Mountain House last week after tearing up a bunch of compost bins and showing no fear of humans.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I agree deterrent is needed. Rubber bullets would have been a good start.

Ho many problem bears are put down a year in Alberta? Grizzlies and blacks.

How many fishermen are killed fishing in Alaska? How do they manage the bears in Alaska?

BW
https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM

There is a lot of grizzly bears around Kananaskis lakes. There has been for decades. The problem is that the human numbers keep climbing up every year in the area. Officers are following collared bears around continuously. There was a sow with 2 cubs hanging around a campground all spring. She has learned that she can keep her cubs safe from a big boar by staying close to the campground. The bears have been very well behaved considering the amount of humans everywhere and they are encouraged to stay out of the campgrounds.
There is only so many quality places for bears to exist these days. I guess we have to decide if want any bears left, or just kill them all so you don't have to worry. Or maybe it is time to limit some human access in these high quality bear habitats.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Same scene different viewpoint....Nice pic Ricky

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366575
Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
There is a lot of grizzly bears around Kananaskis lakes. There has been for decades. The problem is that the human numbers keep climbing up every year in the area. Officers are following collared bears around continuously. There was a sow with 2 cubs hanging around a campground all spring. She has learned that she can keep her cubs safe from a big boar by staying close to the campground. The bears have been very well behaved considering the amount of humans everywhere and they are encouraged to stay out of the campgrounds.
There is only so many quality places for bears to exist these days. I guess we have to decide if want any bears left, or just kill them all so you don't have to worry. Or maybe it is time to limit some human access in these high quality bear habitats.
There are more people, but there are more bears then there has ever been before. Encounters and sighting are definitely more prevalent these days.

BW
Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
A good start would the fishermen to have gotten out of the way quicker. It looks like the one guy is sitting with a smoke in his mouth and a cell phone in his hand taking pics.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post

Very well said.

COs in this scenario likely elected not to physically haze the grizz due to the likelyhood of it barreling (scared or angry) into one of the sheer hoardes of people in that super busy area.

Heads up play by the conservation officers in my opinion.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Default I thought I know Lowe K lake

I thought the lower lake but could not figure out at which side was this
Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbeya View Post
I thought the lower lake but could not figure out at which side was this
This is right by the Peninsula Day Use Area where Kent Creek flows in.