Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Default euthanize or not?

Three times in recent years I have came across severally injured wildlife.

The first time it happened I reported it to Fish&Wildlife and when they said they were preoccupied I asked if I could euthanize it myself.
I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be charged if I did so.

The second time I simply reported it.

Then last week it happened again. This one was a bit different though.
First, this time it was a baby deer, a Fawn. With a broken jaw.

And by pure coincidence, my sister had photographed that same fawn just a day or two after it was injured so we knew approximately how long it had been suffering.

In all three cases Fish& Wildlife did not respond to my call. In fact they never even bothered to call back for further details, in order to find the injured animal.

So now I'm wondering, what would other hunters do?

Would you just leave it to die a slow agonizing death or would you put it down and say nothing to anyone?

Before you decide, have a look at this Fawn and remember, it had suffered for at least three weeks at this point.
And it was so sick it walked slow, like a very old man, and never looked back at me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-14-2019, 06:18 PM

That's a tough call, Keg. I hate seeing any animal suffer...but there's the threat of possible charges. I would certainly be tempted to put it out of its suffering. I also wouldn't want the risk of charges or of backlash from greeniacs who would rather see it live, than be treated humanely.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM

I can only speak for myself.
I've never let my own animals suffer - I would take care of it.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 PM

I've always believed if you can do it discretely, go for it. Otherwise it could open a can of worms. Coyotes will be on that fawn before long and do their thing.

Grizz
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM

I was in a similar situation many years ago. Antelope fawn, broken back leg,turning black with infection. Had the same response from Fish & Wildlife ..... laws are clear, and you will be charged. It was on private property, no-one around and I had the rifle behind the seat. Haunted me for a long time that I drove away and left it alive. I would have slept with a clearer conscience if I had put it out of its misery.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:39 PM

I would discreetly euthanize it no question
Old 07-14-2019, 06:42 PM

That's a tough decision. Personally I would end items misery quickly.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:46 PM

No response from Fish & Wildlife call the RCMP. They would come out and euthanize the animal (and not by running over it).

If Fish & Wildlife not coming, and the RCMP not available, then I would take the chance and euthanize the animal if I had the means to do it in a safe and humane manner.

Mr Conservation
Old 07-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Just like Ralph Klein said "Shoot,Shovel, Shut up" Twice years ago the fish and feathers told me to put it down. But that was the old school guys not the NEW guys. If a cop in Lethbridge can drive over a deer several times then I'll take my chances and do it quicker and more humanly!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Sss
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I would have slept with a clearer conscience if I had put it out of its misery.

I know what you mean.

The other two were adult animals and although it bothered me to leave them alive, I didn't loose much sleep over it.
But this one is different. It does haunt me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM

I’ve also been told to ‘put it down’ twice in cases of road injured wildlife, but I knew the fish cop personally and yes, it was some years ago.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis40 View Post
Just like Ralph Klein said "Shoot,Shovel, Shut up" Twice years ago the fish and feathers told me to put it down. But that was the old school guys not the NEW guys. If a cop in Lethbridge can drive over a deer several times then I'll take my chances and do it quicker and more humanly!
I hear you. But for me, breaking the law is almost as bad as leaving it to die a slow painful death.
It's not an easy decision.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Mother nature can be cruel, if this fawn lived for three weeks already with the injuries you described I would think the chances for survival are still moderately fair.

I'm in the belief the fish and wildlife made the right call myself. We have no officers, but people still expect the little things to take priority.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Mother nature can be cruel, if this fawn lived for three weeks already with the injuries you described I would think the chances for survival are still moderately fair.

I'm in the belief the fish and wildlife made the right call myself. We have no officers, but people still expect the little things to take priority.

I understand the lack of staffing and appreciate that field officers have no say in staffing or policy.

What I don't understand is why we are told to report such sightings and why they can't just say, we will not respond. At least then I would be free to simply carry on instead of wasting time trying to phone.

And, it's not just injured wildlife where I have gotten no or an inadequate response.

Two winters ago I came upon a poacher with a freshly shot Moose. It was 10:00 pm around December 15. There was no open season for Moose in that district at that time.

I reported it with all pertinent details including that the poachers were present.
A week later an officer called to say they had not gone out until the following morning. They found the kill site but no Moose. Surprise surprise!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Banned

Mother Nature is a cruel mistress.

The bigger picture would be there are likely hundreds if not thousands of wild animals that are in a state other than normal probably at any given time.

Sick, injured, dying, that’s just the circle of life, and they will all succumb eventually.

Is it nice to look at, no probably not.

Nor would it have been if it was half eaten.

But it’s how she hoes.

If F&W can’t help, let it run its inevitable end, and hopefully it comes soon.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I hear you. But for me, breaking the law is almost as bad as leaving it to die a slow painful death.
I think you know what to do. Just looking for some support? I don't hunt, just fishing is what brought me here. If it's suffering, and you can discretely dispatch it, well then it's at least no longer suffering....
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I believe in obeying the law of our land. But I don't rely on the government to determine what's right and wrong.
I'm old enough to make my own decisions and old enough to handle the consequences and still sleep fine.
I'd do the right thing and not mention it online.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I believe in obeying the law of our land. But I don't rely on the government to determine what's right and wrong.
I'm old enough to make my own decisions and old enough to handle the consequences and still sleep fine.
X2
Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Well said sir.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Exclamation Here is a Newsflash for everyone

Quote:
I understand the lack of staffing and appreciate that field officers have no say in staffing or policy.

What I don't understand is why we are told to report such sightings and why they can't just say, we will not respond. At least then I would be free to simply carry on instead of wasting time trying to phone.

And, it's not just injured wildlife where I have gotten no or an inadequate response.
Because, now they have a record of the concerned citizen calling it in. Whether or not they have the ability to deal with it in a timely manor is irrelevant to them. If they happen upon said hurt animal, and it has been "euthanized", they now have someone to question, investigate, and more importantly to their evaluation, issue a very important ticket.

Remember a few ago, when a certain ad got big exposure in Alberta: "we're not your daddy's organization anymore"... remember how that came about and eventually played out? The reason it happened and why they thought it was a winning combination? Well, over a few years and a shift in the bureaucracy, that same statement can be applied to F&W and many other departments. It is the new reality.
At least most of them mean well.

So, calling them for anything other than a poaching situation is likely a waste of your time, and possibly detrimental to you.
Carry on.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Gone Hunting

As always, I am impressed with the advice given here.

Not saying that any advice given here is not good advice but for me, ETOWNCANUCK makes the most sense.

It puts things in prospective for me and although I still feel bad for the little critter, I am comfortable that I did the right thing.

In a perfect world I suppose one would be obliged to put the critter down, but as he pointed out, this is far from a perfect world. Things do suffer. I've seen far worse and although unintentionally, I have inflicted suffering on wild creatures.

I guess I just had to get my head cleared so I could think on this rationally.

Sad as it may be, this fawn will not be wasted. It will feed other creatures.

Thanks guys,

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Shoot, shovel and shutup. Just don't do it in Lethbridge with your car when the phones are out..
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Well put.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

Don't call, don't post. These guys can't even catch and convict poachers with reports, pictures and video. If they do somehow manage to catch you they still need a conviction and that isn't a cake walk by any stretch, especially if you don't confess. Discreetly do what you think is right and keep it quiet.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM

In today's world and depending on the location, I think everyone of us would do the right thing if it could be done quickly, quietly and without spectators. It is sad to see a pic like that. Wonder where mama is.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 PM

I'm amazed that fawn could survive for three weeks with its jaw broken like that. Would have thought it would have died from dyhydration or starvation.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM

I think there's a moral obligation to put a fellow creature out of its misery. My family comes first, so I wouldn't risk the fallout of a charge. If it was a situation in which I believed the likelihood of a charge was low, I wouldn't think twice about euthanizing. It's the right thing to do.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:55 PM

I may or may not have done what I believe to be the humane thing in the past. I may or may not do it in the future. I do know that if I were to do any of the above I wouldn't tell a sole!

BW
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Two winters ago I came upon a poacher with a freshly shot Moose. It was 10:00 pm around December 15. There was no open season for Moose in that district at that time.

I reported it with all pertinent details including that the poachers were present.
A week later an officer called to say they had not gone out until the following morning. They found the kill site but no Moose. Surprise surprise!
Hey Keg,

Reporting a suspected injured animal is probably the right thing to do, but you have to remember there really isn't much Fish and Wildlife will do... I certainly don't expect them to waste time on the instance you have described.

In regards to the moose, it certainly is possible the officer was busy or not in the area at the time. The areas these officers are responsible for are near impossible to enforce anything. You say the officer was at the kill site the next morning, probably 12 hours later. Very unfortunate but he probably investigated the incident and got back to you, what else would you have him do ?

The general consensus of this thread is to break the law, kind of surprizing actually under the described events.