Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Grayling and Bull Trout Adventure

Morning All!

I’m promised my 16 son that I would get him and his friend out for a fishing trip before school starts. We are going the week of August 26th.

Both really want to try and catch their first grayling and bull trout. I was
thinking of taking them up somewhere around Fox Creek. I looked at older posts and the little Smokey came up and the second bridge. Looked at google maps and looks like it crosses once about 50 minutes from Fox creek.

Is that a good place to take them or is there somewhere else that might be a better option.

Thanks
Tony
Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Same area. The Berland river also has big bulls that chase the grayling. South of Fox Creek.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Both the Lil Smoky and the Berland are good for both species.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 PM

Just looking at backroads map book. The second bridge for the little Smokey looks to be on the big stone road?

Am I correct?

Thanks
Tony
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Just looking at backroads map book. The second bridge for the little Smokey looks to be on the big stone road?

Am I correct?

Thanks
Tony
You are correct. First 18km are good and the road get worse from there.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Yup great area. Worked around here for 6 years. Caught my first grayling on spinning gear a few years ago. Smoke lake is good fishing as well. Tons of walleye

Also yes. The bridge is on the big stone. Km 34 or 36 if I remember correctly. Lots of sweet little tucked away tributaries off the tony main too.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Our trip is planned for this weekend.

I was wondering on how the road conditions have been like and how’s the river levels have been on the little Smokey.

Thanks in advance and if success will post picks.

Safe travels to everyone in this long weekend.

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Our trip is planned for this weekend.

I was wondering on how the road conditions have been like and how’s the river levels have been on the little Smokey.

Thanks in advance and if success will post picks.

Safe travels to everyone in this long weekend.

Thanks
Tony
Almost down to average so a bit on the high side. Sad part is a rain coming from Fri to Mon....sigh.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks Snap.

Just looked at weather report again today. Going to hold off and take the youngest out of school Friday.

Hopefully, things will clear up and dry up by then.

Tony
Old 08-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Good luck, TONY!!!

-Alessandro
Old 09-11-2019, 02:21 PM

We finally made it out last week.

I called it the fin, fur, and feather trip as it was now during hunting season and the boys love hunting as well.

The morning started out slow as we had to wait at the check-in on the Bigstone. We were there for about a half hour as we showed up at 7:10 am and the field crews were all checking in. The road in was not bad as it hadn't rained for a couple of days so it was dry.

It was overcast, when we started so we all started with bead heads. Second cast for me and I caught my first Grayling in almost 30 years! I forgot how beautiful a fish they are. It was about a 8 incher so big enough for the boys to see that cool fin. Then things went quiet and the boys decided to do some exploring down river. I didn't follow as I am still dealing with the effects of a bad accident. Last summer, I broke 25 bones including 2 in my neck and 4 in my lower back so I'm still working on balance and stamina.

I moved a little further up in the initial pool and managed to catch 4 more grayling so I called the boys back. At this time. the sun started to peak out and the bugs started to come out. My youngest tied on a simulator pattern and the fish went crazy for it while my oldest stayed with the bead head and caught his fair share.

I left them to fish and I took out the BBQ out to start lunch. That's when I noticed the passenger side my right rear tire low. I thought no problem throw on the spare and on the way back to Edmonton stop in Fox Creek get the flat fixed. Well it a GMC, so the spare was seized so my afternoon was spent meeting the great people that work in the area. I would like to thank Steve, Ian, and Patrick for helping limp us out to Fox creek.

Overall, the trip was a success as the boys caught their first graylings and they learned that people will always help someone in need. We are already planning for next year to try to catch them a bull trout as well.

Thanks to everyone on here for the tips and advise.

Tony

P.S. Also I would like to give a HUGE shout out to the responsible people who decided to have a huge fire with pallets and then leave a pile of nails behind. That way when someone comes through their tires can become swiss cheese. Seriously, some people need their heads checked out if they think leaving nails behind in a campsite is acceptable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marco Grayling.jpg (155.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Alessandro Grayling.jpg (80.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Sounds like a good time excepting the flat tire and nails! I've been waiting all summer to get out and fly fish for grayling, and hopefully this Sunday it comes together for me.

BW
Old 09-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Default Trip #2

This past weekend, the boys and I decided to try for another fish, fur, and feathers trip before I head back to work next week. This time we also brought my nephew who had just started to get into hunting and fishing.

The morning started with us trying to fill the fur and feathers part of the trip. We went to an area that I had hunted about 20 years ago for deer, elk, and grouse. We did find the fur but it wasn't deer or elk, it was black bears! In total we saw 4 bears. We saw 2 small bears and 2 nice bears. We tried for the 2 larger bears but they were extremely skid dish. I don't they winded us but instead moved off slowly. We think they saw us. I thought black bears had poor eyesight so any help with this would be great. My youngest son was the shooter on both occasions as he missed out of a really large bear in the spring so he wanted another try before winter puts them to bed.

The afternoon had us try for the fish part. I knew of a place that in the fall usually has bullies so the plan was to get the boys their first bull trout. The plan worked great and all 3 boys landed 3 nice bulls. The not so great part was my youngest son and my nephew each lost bull trout that were well over 24 inches!

The next day went with us trying to see if the 2 larger bears would make another appearance. They never showed up but we did manage a couple of grouse. Considering, the number of kms we put on I was surprised with the low bird count. In the past, the area always produced a good number of birds.

If anyone can help with the bears let me know as I want to see if we can still get a bear before the snow flies!

Enjoy the pics!

Thanks
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan.jpg (54.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Al.jpg (47.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Marco.jpg (38.4 KB, 108 views)