Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Clear Lake

Anyone been having any luck at clear lake lately? Was up there this weekend and caught a nice 15 pound jack, but apparently there bigger in there.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM

much bigger was a bit slow this weekend tho. welcome to the forum too
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 AM

btw what are those monsters eating? all i've seen come out of there is burbot and pike... or are they just eating themselves? seem like an inefficient food chain otherwise lol
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

There are much bigger fish in that lake...or at least there used to be. Its been getting POUNDED in the last 2 years.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM

That is what happens when everyone advertises the lake Then the next thing you know there are no fish let because every fish that is legal that gets caught is kept. I have watched this happen everytime I am out, especially the large hens. I have fished this lake for a few years and had great success, but now have stopped going here because way to many fisherman on this lake compared to the size of it. It is not a very large lake and it gets fished hard every weekend. I give it a couple years and it will not have any big fish left, if any fish at all. If people want to have a good fishery for years to come, then they need to start respecting the fishery and be more selective.
My 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
That is what happens when everyone advertises the lake Then the next thing you know there are no fish let because every fish that is legal that gets caught is kept. I have watched this happen everytime I am out, especially the large hens. I have fished this lake for a few years and had great success, but now have stopped going here because way to many fisherman on this lake compared to the size of it. It is not a very large lake and it gets fished hard every weekend. I give it a couple years and it will not have any big fish left, if any fish at all. If people want to have a good fishery for years to come, then they need to start respecting the fishery and be more selective.
My 2 cents.
I agree!!! Its only a matter of time....
Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Well said, I remember going there 5-6 years ago and you would average 10+ lbers, hammer handles were unheard of, and you would catch lots in the 20+ range. And you know what? I RELEASED EVERY ONE OF THEM! Now it seems the quality has gone way down because everyone and there dog knows about this little gem. Or should I say old gem, now overfished/ALL BIG ONES KEPT! Dont think I'll be making the drive all the way from Medicine Hat anymore. Its a darn shame
Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Yeah, i havent kept any fish from there either. Have had a few buddys keep a fish or two but only the hammer handles.

In short this lake is getting Raped and will continue to go downhill.

On a brighter note...

-At least we had fun fishing it for years before word got out!
-Now that everyone is crowding onto Clear Lake it creates less crowding on the previously pounded lakes like Badger.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM

I stopped by there for a couple hours yesterday as we were doing a job in Okotoks and it's not too far away. Beautiful day to be out, even if I didn't get anything. Didn't see anyone close to me get anything while I was there, but relaxing in the sun for a bit was refreshing!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My 2 cents.

Stelllllaaaaaaaaaa,

I agree people need to start respecting the fishery. The only reason these lakes are fished out is because people continue to keep their catch. The reason the big one was caught is because someone put it back. People this is sport fishing. Enjoy the fight, take the photo, put it back and tell your story then head to your local grocery store to buy your dinner. In today's society we dont rely on sport fishing to feed our families. Get a job and support the economy by fishing in the seafood section and save the fishing fun for the kids.

Love Always

CR
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
If people want to have a good fishery for years to come, then they need to start respecting the fishery and be more selective.
My 2 cents.
just curious what you mean by that comment?
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
Stelllllaaaaaaaaaa,

I agree people need to start respecting the fishery. The only reason these lakes are fished out is because people continue to keep their catch. The reason the big one was caught is because someone put it back. People this is sport fishing. Enjoy the fight, take the photo, put it back and tell your story then head to your local grocery store to buy your dinner. In today's society we dont rely on sport fishing to feed our families. Get a job and support the economy by fishing in the seafood section and save the fishing fun for the kids.

Love Always

CR
While I do fully agree with the heart of your comment, unfortunately pike, burbot and perch are not sold in this province (walleye are not as easy to find). I would probably be fully C&R and support the commerical fishermen if it was like in Finland where they sold all species in the supermarket. That being said, do you really need to keep three 12 pound pike every week? I probably keep on average a fish every couple of weeks but its too bad some out there feel it's their right to fill the freezer.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 AM

aren't these forums meant to share info and help each other? if you need to vent some anger buy a stress ball, stop turning every thread into a hatefest

so any word on if they have any baitfish to go for at clear? i got a buddy that wont join me here unless he has perch or whitefish to hunt, he doesn't care for pike
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Maybe a slot limit on pike???
Has this ever been done???
I personally don't keep many fish and don't ever keep anything bigger than a 5-7lber.Anything bigger than that gets a smile and maybe a quick photo and back in she goes.I don't need that much fish to eat and realize the big fish are usually the big spawners....
Go to Newell on opening week in May and see how many big pike are kept just because they can....
I do like the occasional fish fry and lets be real here: no one is breaking any rules when they keep a big fish....it is perfectly legal whether I or you do it....
Plain and simple until regs change this is not going to change
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
While I do fully agree with the heart of your comment, unfortunately pike, burbot and perch are not sold in this province (walleye are not as easy to find). I would probably be fully C&R and support the commerical fishermen if it was like in Finland where they sold all species in the supermarket. That being said, do you really need to keep three 12 pound pike every week? I probably keep on average a fish every couple of weeks but its too bad some out there feel it's their right to fill the freezer.

I agree keeping (3) 12 pound pike is ridiculous. When I see photos of fish scattered all over the ice, some where the tape measure probably had to be stretched I just have to shake my head. Keep 1 nice fish, be proud and have a nice dinner with friends and family don't stock pile the freezer
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
Stelllllaaaaaaaaaa,

Love Always

CR
Fresh fish , compared to the grocery store , mmmmmm ,i dont think soooooo
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My 2 cents.
regs are all backwards!!!They let us keep all the breeding stock(stupid stupid stupid)slot sizes seems to be working well in every other province.Wake up Alberta!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanebond View Post
aren't these forums meant to share info and help each other? if you need to vent some anger buy a stress ball, stop turning every thread into a hatefest

so any word on if they have any baitfish to go for at clear? i got a buddy that wont join me here unless he has perch or whitefish to hunt, he doesn't care for pike
The place is full of suckers.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh65 View Post
regs are all backwards!!!They let us keep all the breeding stock(stupid stupid stupid)slot sizes seems to be working well in every other province.Wake up Alberta!!!
BINGO!!!! Thats been the issue for years!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Fresh fish , compared to the grocery store , mmmmmm ,i dont think soooooo
I think thats a fair comment but when 3 12lb Pike are killed how much is eaten fresh? The rest is frozen anyway. Keep whats going to be eaten fresh. I know that won't be a 20 lb hen!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
I think thats a fair comment but when 3 12lb Pike are killed how much is eaten fresh? The rest is frozen anyway. Keep whats going to be eaten fresh. I know that won't be a 20 lb hen!
Yup , very true with some people, but another thing that you must keep in mind , big pike have big appetites , and if we let all the big ones go , then they will eat the little ones , then what, no little ones , and the big ones die from starvation ,or attact each other , the Govt allows us to keep fish over 63cm for a reason , that is one of them , the other is , big old granny pike do not spawn any more , just eat other fish.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM

In my opinion, nothing beats watching a big hen, with her big back touching the top of the water, slowly swimming away from you after fighting a tough battle. Letting her go is like our way of saying "thank you". I personally only keep one or two pike in the winter, 4-6lb shore lunch is the best. Keep the big ones re-producing. To each their own, but, C&R when ever possible.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM

If all you folks are so deeply concerned about pike, then stop fishing them. For you it's about C&R and a photo - for many people, that's simple being cruel. You snag an animal in the face with a hook so that you can take a picture to show all your buddies, put it back in the water, and pat yourself on the back because you think that it makes you somehow better than everyone else? Get real. And yes, for the record, I do C&R a lot - but I don't think it makes me a better sportsman than anyone else.

I icefish because I like eating wild fish. Yes, I happen to release most big fish I catch because it's my choice. But you won't find me on here complaining that "my" lake is now "fished out" because a bunch of license holding, regulation following, fellow Albertans don't see things the same way. A lot of people here don't get to get out much, and when they do, they like to keep and eat their fish.

Clear Lake is not a sportsfishery to many people - it's a place where they can sneak away for a few hours and take a few fish home. They're following the rules. What's the problem?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Yup , very true with some people, but another thing that you must keep in mind , big pike have big appetites , and if we let all the big ones go , then they will eat the little ones , then what, no little ones , and the big ones die from starvation ,or attact each other , the Govt allows us to keep fish over 63cm for a reason , that is one of them , the other is , big old granny pike do not spawn any more , just eat other fish.

I don't know who came up with the fact that pike don't spawn once they get bigger. This is total bunk! The bigger fish actually carry way MORE spawn as they grow. I think this was made up years ago to justify killing the big hens.

This is a quote from a biologist in Ontario.
"Large female pike have a prolific reproductive potential, and the number of eggs deposited is a function of the size of the fish. It has been reported that a six-pound female yielded 136,500 eggs, while a thirty two pound fish yielded 595,200. In a study of these fish, it was found that 13 inch to 15inch female pike produce an average of 7,500 eggs and 25- to 28-inch females, 63,000 eggs. As a rule the larger the fish the larger the spawn potential."

Last edited by BowhuntAB; 02-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Id love to see a few lakes like Clear made catch and release altogether, there are many lakes with smaller fish to take home to eat. Im surprised they dont have the same mercury levels as Twin and PCR anyways, maybe if they did the meathunters would fish elsewhere! just my thoughts.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Cool

Hahha thanks for all the info everyone, but im gonna have to agree with the people who are saying that, i pay a fee every year to buy a lisence, i follow everything by the regs like its a bible, i caught a 15 pound pike and was prouder then hell about it, cuz lets face it im usually the one who gets skunked, the fish was cleaned and filleted that night and preped for eating for the next day and lets face it, theres nothing better then a fresh fried fillet. definatly beats superstore crap! anyways you guys were helpfull and im heading back out this weekend and i will post about it, look forward to threading with everyone,

peace
Dave
(yes travis and kyle its me) (idiots) ps, travis you would look sexy dancing on the ice to some dance music in a shear shirt)
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Id love to see a few lakes like Clear made catch and release altogether, there are many lakes with smaller fish to take home to eat. Im surprised they dont have the same mercury levels as Twin and PCR anyways, maybe if they did the meathunters would fish elsewhere! just my thoughts.
I'm not wanting to turn this thread into a ****ing match but this topic has struck a nerve with me...

Who do these guys think they are kidding?
They are not just wanting some meat they want to catch and kill whatever large size or numbers of fish they catch to stroke there egos. I'm with you WayneChristie. If its about meat and not the size then go to Langdon or Chestermere and kill a bunch of hammer handles.

Whats next? Are we going to hear how much better tasting 15-30lb fish taste?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Guess i wasnt done yet...

Again i'm not wanting to start a fight here. Just debating this.

First off...
It is totally your right to fish and keep fish. I agree with you on that but what im trying to say is just because the regs don't single it out doesnt mean we as fisherman should kill everything that comes out of the hole. Clear lake is not listed in the regs so it is lumped into the "everywhere else pile"

"Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under (A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake.
Open all year – Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10; (where present, Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm); Bait allowed."

So, even though its legal its not like its being properly monitored either. How many times have you guys been to this lake? Its tiny and can't handle the presure of 100 fisherman the way the other big lakes can. Its plain and simple math, dozens of guys on a small piece of water killing everything equals zero fish eventually. Put 100 guys on Travers, Mac, Newell, Keho and it would be TON'S less of an impact due to the shear size of these lakes and the canal systems that these fish travel through.

Its just poor management in my opinion. When it comes to hunting they can control individual zones with the draw system. Biologists can determine the numbers of animals in relation to the number of hunters and scale back the draw. If they did not certain zones would be devoid of animals. On our lakes this doesnt happen so the end result is what? No fish. The same goes with bird hunting. I used to hunt with a guy that would chase a covey of huns until he had almost wiped the entire covey out. This went on for two years and guess what? The covey's are now gone. Taking one or two then moving on is how i had done it for years and these birds were always there season after season to the point where i had named each spot and covey. (Wish i never showed him these spots. ) So here is another case of "its my right to kill these birds and i'm within my limit. Yes, he was but now the birds are gone so now what?

So, yes its your right to kill your limit every day on this lake but it doesnt always make it right at the sametime. If we all use a little more discretion this lake may continue to be a fun place to bring friends and family and catch some big fish and good numbers at the sametime!

Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Default wow

I want me some perch!!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM

I think I need it explained as to how buying your fish at the supermarket, is morally superior to catching your own......