Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Telus Mobility-Poor Internet Signal

I have used a Telus Mobility "stick" for rual high speed internet for the past year, and for whatever reason...signal strength is so poor at times, it is not much faster than dial-up. Of course, their service call center promptly records the complaint and "investigates" the problem as they reckon it could be the customer's equipment. So, I hold my telus cell phone at the same location as the stick...and behold..poor signal strength. It is my opinion that rural customers are not a priority for Telus Mobility.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 PM

I have the same and maybe it's my imagination, but I'd swear when it's windy, or rainy, it tends to slow down.
Grizz
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM

I have had the same problems. They can refresh it for you and you can ask for a update. you go through your activation wizard and enter a number, then hit update. They can walk you through it. If you really want to be ticked off about telus, I had a guy a month ago that I was complaining about all of my service charges and phone costs tell me that if vI lived in Edmonton or another city here that he could cut about $20 - $30 per/mth off of my phone bill. But I live a hour from Edmonton so my area does not qualify! What kind of b()!! s*#t is that!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Default internet

why don't you guys buy my netkaster satellite $200.00 it yours
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Having great luck with mcsnet myself.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 AM

I can see the tower out the window of my house but if I walk to the other side of the house the phone call will get dropped. If I go outside to the east side of the house it tells me that I need to dial a 1 for long distance. I peek my head around the corner and check to be sure the tower is still standing and there it is. Telus or Bell it doesn't matter since they both use the same tower. I don't think I want to use one of their sticks for internet. Rogers is a different story - they just don't have reliable signal at all.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM

I use the same Telus mobility stick for my Internet access, and I will drop it like a bad habit when Parkland Cty allegedly gets its wi-fi program up and running this fall. My experience is that the Telus signal is strong and the Internet relatively fast in the early morning. Then other users come on (I assume) and slow the whole process down. Like you, I can see a tower from my window but both the Internet (3G) and cell phone reception here are poor (one or two bars at the most).
Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Something that I use when working in rural areas on my internet mobile stick is a cell reception booster. They work pretty good and they have accessories that will cover your whole house. A friend uses the house booster and swears by it, but if the reception goes out it doesn't matter your boosting nothing!!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have used a Telus Mobility "stick" for rual high speed internet for the past year, and for whatever reason...signal strength is so poor at times, it is not much faster than dial-up. Of course, their service call center promptly records the complaint and "investigates" the problem as they reckon it could be the customer's equipment. So, I hold my telus cell phone at the same location as the stick...and behold..poor signal strength. It is my opinion that rural customers are not a priority for Telus Mobility.
We are definitely not a priority. We were once without phone service for over a week before they got around to replacing the fuse that was blown. And we didn't have cell service at that time.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:15 PM

I think we need to put some pressure on our MLA's to insist that companies licensed to provide communication sevices in Alberta...be required to provide "adequate" service to rural customers. It is not an issue of technology, it is all about Telus' considering us a an insignificant market segment...so we don't have a voice. Telus' current priority is selling satellite TV..so rural phone service (both mobile and land line) suffers. Maybe if we can get a hundred "vent's" in this thread, it will be worthwhile for your MLA to read.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

For those of you who are having problems with your calls and can see the tower, well, Ive been told by a telus person, that it is becuz you are too damn close and the strength of signal is over your head, go figure. That's just what I was told and the guy is is a telus employed brother inlaw.
At the same time, cell strength from my trapline is very dependent upon tree coverage, especially at this time of year and also with tree/leave movement. At least that is what I am thinking, having extended my antenna, etc.. Next will try a booster or move my antenna to a more clear location..
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

I run a bell air card and have zero issues and get good reception as you can see by how much im on here. I get internet in alot of places that my cell wont work.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
For those of you who are having problems with your calls and can see the tower, well, Ive been told by a telus person, that it is becuz you are too damn close and the strength of signal is over your head, go figure. That's just what I was told and the guy is is a telus employed brother inlaw.
If i lived under the tower I would buy into that. I think that 4 miles is not too close, and it certainly shouldn't be too far.