Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 AM

Smile GPS collars on dogs?

I hunt over a pointing dog and I run her "au natural" because I'm paranoid about her getting hung up on something in the water or a swamp where I can't help her. If I call her and she doesn't come she is on point, then I have to find her, this can he hard and a little scary.

I'm going to a doggy meeting (NAVHDA) this weekend in Oregon and they are selling these things (GPS collars) .

Are they legal in Canada, and are they worth putting on on her majesty?

Thx.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 AM

Hi Densa, I am not sure if it is illegal , but it maybe as I ran into a hunter ar Millicent this fall that had one on his dog. He picked it up when hunting in Montana & seemed to think it was illegal in Canada.
I understand your worry about having your dog where one , but I have hunted with many guys with pointers and they all were wearing beppers and I have never heard of or seen any bad occurences.
ps. Just got my notice of the 2015 STETTLER PHEASANT FESTIVAL is ago for this October,
Good News, Cheers Sprman
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Smile I don't want a beeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
Hi Densa, I am not sure if it is illegal , but it maybe as I ran into a hunter ar Millicent this fall that had one on his dog. He picked it up when hunting in Montana & seemed to think it was illegal in Canada.
I understand your worry about having your dog where one , but I have hunted with many guys with pointers and they all were wearing beppers and I have never heard of or seen any bad occurences.
ps. Just got my notice of the 2015 STETTLER PHEASANT FESTIVAL is ago for this October,
Good News, Cheers Sprman
I don't like the constant beeping sound or the ones that scream like a hawk when the dog stops to pee.

Yes the festival is a go, 3000 birds and when they are sold that will be it.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM

They aren't illegal and they work great. All the cat guys running hounds use them.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Gps

No they are not legal and if all the cat guys are using them it is at their own risk. They are still illegal in Canada that is why you can't buy them here. Their frequency has a minute possibility of interfering with other legal frequencies used. There is rumor that they maybe legalized in the near future. And yes I know lots of people use them but there is a still a difference between legal and illegal. In Region 14 Field Trials they are prohibited for that reason......puphood1
Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Garmins are not legal, they were supposed to be reviewed for approval in 2014 but I don't think they were ever legalized. *see below.
But sport dog gsp collars sold at cabelas so I believe them to be legal. I'm not a sport dog fan personally though.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/43271/...g-and-e-collar
So must not use "murs" to track dog.
And yes they are worth it, legal or not.

From garmin
Quote:
Due to varying international regulations, this version of the Astro is approved for use only in the United States. The sale and unlicensed use of the Garmin Astro dog-tracking system in any form is currently prohibited by the Canadian government. In June 2009, Industry Canada announced that the MURS radio frequency used by the Astro would be allowed in Canada following a 5-year transition period. However, in June 2014 Industry Canada reversed its position, noting “the Department does not feel that the introduction of MURS devices in Canada is warranted at this time, and has decided to defer the introduction of MURS devices in Canada until a clearer indication of actual need is provided by Canadian MURS advocates and/or stakeholders.” Garmin remains interested in offering the Astro to our Canadian customers, and will be contacting Industry Canada in support of that goal. Potential Canadian customers should also contact their local Industry Canada office to express their desire to have the product approved for use in Canada
Old 01-14-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
They aren't illegal and they work great. All the cat guys running hounds use them.
Same in this neck of the woods.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Well I stand corrected. What a stupid law that is. I wouldn't let my dogs go without them.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I hunt over a pointing dog and I run her "au natural" because I'm paranoid about her getting hung up on something in the water or a swamp where I can't help her.
have you seen the collars that have a ring half way so the collar can slip over the dogs head? might be worth looking into (i think the one i saw at wholsale was a remington)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Sportdog puts out a Canadian friendly gps unit call the tec...

http://www.sportdogglobal.com/tek.php

cohod
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM

The Garmin Astro collar is illegal in Canada as Puphood stated. Further to that, Garmin has an update patch that renders the unit useless if it is being used north of the border. When you update your unit the patch will be installed. A lot of trainers that were using the units close to the border in ND and MT had problems with there units not working.

The Sportdog Tek 1 is legal and operates more or less the same.

The hound guys referred to are more than likely using radio collars which are completely legal. They have a far greater range than the GPS units as well. Which hound guys need. They also have the advantage of having batteries that will last up to a month if your dog is gone for a few days which is not uncommon with hounds.

Gps collars typically last 24-36 hours at best. And that is only if they update every 30 seconds. A dog can go a long way in 30 seconds.

I use a Quick Track Radio collar. I have a Tracker as well. While they don't give you an exact location and distance they will take you in the right direction adn after some experience you will learn how far away the dog is by the signal. They also tell you whether the dog is moving or stationary.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
The Garmin Astro collar is illegal in Canada as Puphood stated.
I think this is a mistake. The Garmin Astro is an older model and these are very much so LEGAL. Garmin also builds a newer model called the Alpha. The Alpha is not yet legal in Canada for the radio frequency reasons mentioned above.

I don't think a radio collar would be very useful for a pointer, carrying around an antenna to locate your dog within a couple hundred yards doesn't seem very helpful. I can see the benefits of having the GPS handheld to quickly get a location on your dog relative to your location though.

I would recommend getting one to the OP. They are expensive, but they can be very helpful to have. I have a hound and just got a Garmin unit for her. It works great, lots of good features, and I've never had an issue with her getting hung up on anything. PM me if you'd like some more info.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Smile Oh Dear

This isn't as easy as I had hoped. I'm refreshed that our government is doing so much to protect us from dog collars.

How expensive? All I need is a short range one, it is just for when she locks up. I'd like to at least start walking in the right direction. I don't need any other features.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM

A brand new Garmin Alpha you're looking at about $1000, a used Astro, I don't
know, maybe 3-$500? That's just a guess.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Zinger Winger has an Astro version for $650. They are a Canadian company that specializes in sporting dog equipment.

http://www.zingerwinger.com/xcart/home.php?cat=395
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Default collars

The collars are great. The FCC hasn't passed approval on them yet, but it will be done.
I have the Astro and also the Alpha. I won't take the dogs out without them on. Great units, long range, I can tell exactly how far away the dogs are and how fast they are moving. The Alpha has shock collar and tone capability, and I use the tone feature to tell the dogs to come back.
Great product. I bought mine in the US then brought them back across the border. I declared them, paid the tax. No big deal.

Love this product.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM

A write up from this summer

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...-north_23.html

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...in-canada.html
Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM

From the Garmin Homepage

"Due to varying international regulations, this version of the Astro is approved for use only in the United States. The sale and unlicensed use of the Garmin Astro dog-tracking system in any form is currently prohibited by the Canadian government. In June 2009, Industry Canada announced that the MURS radio frequency used by the Astro would be allowed in Canada following a 5-year transition period. However, in June 2014 Industry Canada reversed its position, noting “the Department does not feel that the introduction of MURS devices in Canada is warranted at this time, and has decided to defer the introduction of MURS devices in Canada until a clearer indication of actual need is provided by Canadian MURS advocates and/or stakeholders.” Garmin remains interested in offering the Astro to our Canadian customers, and will be contacting Industry Canada in support of that goal. Potential Canadian customers should also contact their local Industry Canada office to express their desire to have the product approved for use in Canada."
Old 01-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Smile Thanks everyone

I guess I'll keep at what I'm doing. Following the dogs as best I can hobble, when she dissapears and I call her and no dog, I'll just have to do it the old fashioned hard way.

I'll still run her with out a collar. Thanks every body, who knew that the bureaucracy reaches out to the wilds of rural Alberta!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM

A collar is just fine as long as you make sure it is a fairly hard material and is worn snug (tight).
Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 AM

Have a good and safe trip, Robert.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Marshall makes a complete telemetry system for pointers. It's a bit more cumbersome than the sport tek.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Default GPS Track & Training Collars

I have both the TEK and the new Garmin Alpha

The TEK is a good product with a refresh if desired at 5 seconds, it is very responsive when the dog is on point. My GSP is rather small 50LBS female and I found that the TEK was very rough on her neck.
So I bought the Garmin, 2.5 second refresh rate above people were referring to a 30 second refresh which indeed is to long for heavy cover.
The Garmin at even at 2.5 secs is not as responsive as the TEK but still very good. The other great feature at lease from my point of view is the proximity alert which can be set at whatever distance you like mine is set at 50 yards.
So if anyone would like more information about either device just ask. The Garmin although more expensive then TEK is well worth the money...

Hope this helps..... I have not been hunted down by the dog collar police yet and two seasons using it!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Not just for dogs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...mily-1.2898871
Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Banned

I'll second Marshall
Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Buy a combo eecollar and beeper. When the dog is lost or on point push the button and it beeps. You can find your dog easy that way and the beeper is set to silent unless you need it.