Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 AM

Default Killer Sculpins

All of the rivers in Alberta have sculpins in them and probably all the lakes also.

Here's a sculpin pattern I've been using for many years.Tied with marabou and rabbit. From a 3x #10 hook to a 4x #2 hook. The smaller sizes I use on trout and the bigger sizes on bull tout. The 4x # 2 is a killer on Pike. also a picture of my sculpin box. It will be full by spring. My favorite colors are olive and black. For the two toned head I put the black hair in the stacker first then put the natural or olive hair in on top of the black, and tamp. I will quite often weight the fly as the hair makes it want to float. If I weight the fly I tie with red thread. When you see the red thread on the head you know it is weighted.
The bodies are veregated chenille, usually yellow and black, and gold chenille.
One other thing, I don't cut off the excess marabou , I tear it off using my thumb nail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7868 A.jpg (68.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7869 A.jpg (72.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7871 A1.jpg (78.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
All of the rivers in Alberta have sculpins in them and probably all the lakes also.
I have to disagree Bjay. Sculpin (4 species in AB) have relatively limited distribution in AB. Though they have been found in the upper reaches of many streams, they are absent from most lakes and possibly the lower reaches of our east draining rivers.

The only 'lake species' known to occur has only been identified in Waterton Lake, though it may occur in a handful of other deep, cold lakes.

Just some info.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Hi Pudelpoint
Sorry about that, I've been thinking about pike fishing so much I kinda forgot about the trout lakes as as I was thinking about pike mostly when it came to lakes. Most lakes that have been killed off and then restocked probably won't have sculpins in them. Same thing here in B.C. but if a creek or river or irrigation feeds the lake then it would probably have sculpins. I posted that last night at 2:30 in the morning so I guess I was only 1/2 awake.
Thanks
Bjay
Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Add this badboy to your selection, thank me later lol

Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Hi Troutbug
Looks very good . How about a recipe and instructions on how you tied that little number.
Bjay
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM

The only lake in Alberta I've seen sculpins, is Rock Lake, north west of Hinton. That doesn't mean they aren't in other lakes but it does meet the requirements of a cold, deep lake.

Nice patterns!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

I like the colours your using.

You guys better quit posting pictures of those cute little sculpins.

PETA might want to have them protected.

Thanks for the pix.