Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Default moose roast in slow cooker

Hey just wondering if any of you chefs out there have a good recipe for a moose roast in slow cooker. Trying to convince some people that this is really tasty meat if done right. Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 AM

yup just sprinkle on a bag of onion soup mix, add an onion half or two, maybe a kernal of garlic and just enuf water to keep it from dehydrating (maybe 1/4" in the bottom)...go out and shoot coyotes all day..come back
make some biscuits, spuds, gravy
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooose, when can we come over??

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Default moose roast

The last roast I did in the slow cooker turned out like mush I used the beef recipe which was obviously too long I would put it in along with water onion soup mix and put it on high and just keep checking the internal temp. By the way moose is better than beef
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM

Instead of water use a can of coke. Also sear it before putting it in. I like the crispy ends
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Default The best roast ever.....

I did this to my deer roast the other night fry up some bacon save the Greece ,Make sure you season your roast with minimum salt and pepper., sear all sides of the roast in the bacon fat, slice up 2 medium onion , about 8 carrots and 5 or 6 medium to large potatoes put the onion in with roast at the start , and approximately 1 1/2 hr to 2 hrs put your potatoes in the crock pot with the roast. I at that time add about 2 1/2 to e 3cupf of water with Beef oxo in it low sodium stuff as it is was to salty and will wreck the flavour of the roast. Once its all done let the roast rest for 5 to 10 minutes, in that time use the drippings and juices in the crock pot and in a frying pan that you cooked that bacon and reared roast , add 6 tablespoons of flour and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil , salt and pepper, etc and get the flour cooking and slowly add some of the flavour of that roast juices. If not quite to your tasting add Beef Oxo and to your liking. Perfect if you bake some baking powder biscuits 2 or 3 hrs before and soak em in gravy mmmmmmmm. Youll be impressed , your wife and family will be impressed to.
AND NO THIS ISNT OUT OF A COOKBOOK , JUST IOUTTA COOKBOOK JOHN.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Iron Chef BBJ!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Moose,Deer beef whatever. I use a can of mushroom soup and one pkg of onion soup mix, add in an onion, carrots, spuds and celery and lots of pepper. I too sear the roast first if I have the time usin olive oil in a smokn hot pan. Cook on high for about 5 hours, give it a check then simmer on low till your ready to eat..

Another good thing for that last years Deer roast in the bottom of the freezer is to put it in a slow cooker with a diced onion and pour and entire btl of your favorite BBQ sauce over it. Let it cook for 5-6 hours on low, checkn to make sure its well basted then begin to shred the meat with a fork, ( you end up with long strands of meat similar to a pulled pork ) serve over rice or in toasted onion buns ala pulled pork.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

Not much of a recipe but have any of you tried the mixtures from "The Game Gourmet"?? They are delicious!!!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 PM

1 roast
2 - 3 cups beef broth
2 teaspoons or tablespoons minced garlic
1 small onion minced
4, 5, 6 tablespoons of Montreal Steak spice

Place beef broth in the slow cooker.
Cover the roast with the other ingredients and place in the slow cooker.
Cook away.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-06-2008, 03:06 PM

I've been making pulled elk sandwiches (think pulled pork), they turn out nicely.

The simmering liquid/sauce is water, finely sliced onions, cider vinegar, tomato paste with a little salt, chilli powder, cumin, liquid smoke, good mustard and Worcestershire. I've never measured out the ingredients for this, but I'd eyeball it at two small onions, half a cup of vinegar and a small tin of tomato paste for a 1-2lb roast, with enough water to just cover the meat. Simmer the roast in this liquid for a good long time (we're talking overnight). Once the meat's tender to the verge of falling apart, take it out and shred it. In the meantime, blend the simmering liquid until it's smooth. Stick the meat back in, add a generous amount of brown sugar and simmer it for a bit longer (under supervision, it'll burn now if not stirred). Put it on a cheap white bun and eat. Traditional southern pulled pork sandwiches are eaten with a bit of coleslaw on top of the meat, in the sandwich. I haven't tried that yet, but I can see how that would work.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Hey just wondering if any of you chefs out there have a good recipe for a moose roast in slow cooker. Trying to convince some people that this is really tasty meat if done right. Thanks in advance
Shouldn't have to convince anyone.........it's not like moose is gamey like a deer and I don't have a problem with that either. In fact cook moose the same way as beef........just less cooking is involved. The secret is to not overcook it 'cause it dries out quicker due to the lack of fat. Tastes like beef only better. I've never cooked beef or moose in a slow cooker so can't help there.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:08 PM

One 4lb game roast
1 whole onion
1 cup of cold coffee
1 can of cranberry soda
salt/pepper to taste
2 tsp of garlic salt
1/2 tsp of mustard powder
3 strips of bacon.

Cut the defrosted bacon into little slices. Stab the roast with a 2'' wide knife and stuff small pieces of bacon onto the roast. Let sit for 18-24 hours.
Cook in the slow cooker for 5 hours and enjoy.
I've got one marinating right now. As soon as the picky in-laws leave I'm feasting
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Default moose roast

Well we certainly have some chefs on here, and some great recipes. as for convincing people ,there are some people that think the worst so just trying a little harder. Thanks for are the help guys.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Iron Chef BBJ!
I remember years ago when I was in school we did an iron chef compition, students agianst teachers , and students won , that was a really neat experence.Always trhought id make a good chef , but desided id rather cook cus I love it ant not make it a job.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Default moose roast

what i normally do with my moose roast is i mix up 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups ketchup, pepper, salt, onion flakes, garlic powder(add pretty much what ever spice you like) Worcestershire sauce(couple dashes), liquid smoke if u have.... i add it all together so its a nice sauce...

pan sear the roast, pour the sauce on the roast when its in the slow cooker... saute mushrooms and onions and add them as well... put the slow coooker on for 4-5 hours on low and mmmmmmmm it tastes so good!!! i love using that sauce.....

try it and let me know what ya think
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM

pretty simple but here goes. i put the roast in frozen solid.
as it defrosts it gets the moisture needed to semiboil it.
i add small potatoes & baby carrots.
lots of montreal steak spice & garlic plus.
quick. easy , & tastes great every time. rarely have to cut with a knife.
the key is putting it in frozen i.m.o.

orv.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM

I let the Girlfriend cook it. Turns out delicious every time. lol
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM

Usually I will make Corned Moose out of at least 4 small roasts from my moose. I stitch pump them to about 10% of meat weight with a horseradish brine.

Then low and slow in the crockpot served with root vegetable and creamed leeks.

OMG. I think I am getting wood just thinking about it-but in a good way
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Default roasts

I do all my roasts in the pressure cooker. Little water, little onion, whatever spices you like and let 'er rip.
I have 3 different size pressure cookers and use them for just about everything.

Geo
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 AM

i like to slice onions into 1/4" thick pieces and lay them down in the bottom of the crock pot then add a mixture of beer, garlic and a splash of red wine to make a base about 1/2-3/4" deep to keep everything moist.

then pan sear the roast hard and season...thick cracked pepper and a bit of salt....cook on low with temperature probe...the crock pot will stop heating the second you reach perfect internal temperature...usually 3-4 hours is all that is needed for a 3 pound roast.

mmmmmm.....i know what im taking out for dinner tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM

man-o-man-o-man!
resurrecting old threads, now i got to wait til next year for a moose draw.
hunterbabe..thats a plan!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 AM

If you happen to have a Bradley smoker, you Cold smoke it for 3hrs., wrap in tin foil and continue in smoker at your lowest possible heat setting for another 3hrs or until you can't wait any longer.... you wouldn't know you were eating moose.
You could probably even make a coyote taste good this way
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Normally our hunting camp consists of wall tents and wood stoves, but this fall my dad came out with his 5th wheel and generator. I brought the crock pot and the last moose roast in the freezer from last year and spiced it up with some montreal steak spice, garlic, red wine, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery. Turned it on low, went out hunting all day and came back to the best meal a guy could ask for at hunting camp.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

My mouth is watering, haven't had a piece of moose in so long that I forget what it tastes like.

Frig the roast, i'd be slabbing it up for steaks with mushrooms and onions and a side of mashed taters. Moose gravy, mmmmmmmm.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
My mouth is watering, haven't had a piece of moose in so long that I forget what it tastes like.
Moose gravy, mmmmmmmm.

yeah yeah what he said .. nods
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Take roast, leave it on the counter until it's room temperature.

Turn up oven to 500 degrees or as hot as it will go.

Stick a thin sharp knife through the middle of the roast a couple times lengthwise.

Take a strip of fatty bacon and push it through the cut, lengthwise.

Set in pan, toss on a cup of red wine that's not too sweet.

Drizzle with oil.

Salt pretty heavy with coarse salt and less with regular. I find it difficult to oversalt red meat. Black pepper pretty heavy. Super light dust of cinnamon (super light otherwise it'll taste like a dessert). About as much coffee dust (very little or you'll wreck it). Work it in a bit.

Blast in the oven at 15 minutes per lb, then shut it off and leave the oven closed, and let it sit there for 35-45 minutes per lb.

Biggest thing is room temperature meat and room temperature outside the oven.

Done this way, it shouldn't come out dry at all and the pan juice is great with bread. If you're feeling brave, a couple drops of Thai fish sauce (nouc mam) on the meat really brings out the flavour too -- kind of like adding mushrooms or OXO or MSG.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-scat View Post
If you happen to have a Bradley smoker, you Cold smoke it for 3hrs., wrap in tin foil and continue in smoker at your lowest possible heat setting for another 3hrs or until you can't wait any longer.... you wouldn't know you were eating moose.
You could probably even make a coyote taste good this way

that sounds amazing i am going to have to try it out
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM

As stated before if in a rush or have a tougher cut, dump a can of coke, ice t or rootbeer in bottom of slow cooker, throw in spices, slow cook around six hours. Dump liquid mix and shred roast with a knife and fork, add half bottle of bbq sauce and toss back in for 30 min. This is traditionally aimed for a pulled pork but has worked wonders on any wild game for great sandwiches on buns, leftovers are awesome too! Try out www.allrecipies.com as they have some great ideas on there and people who have reviewed them too. Good eatin!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

These food threads should be banned!!!!

Damn you all for driving my tastebuds nuts!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
These food threads should be banned!!!!

Damn you all for driving my tastebuds nuts!
X2, Hunterbabe, you'll probably be getting proposals over this yet!