Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Default poaching one year later

I've had suppositions that someone who regularly hunts by my land has poached before. i know i saw him cart out an animal last year but didn't see it, this year i saw him and asked what he took and avoided it, asked for a picture, avoided it.

is there anything i can do about this, or is my suspicion essentially good for nothing?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Tell him he can't hunt your land if you suspect he is poaching. Then, if he hunts your land he is poaching and you have proof.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Report a poacher line
Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM

is he hunting on private or public land, and what makes you think he is poaching
Old 10-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarlos View Post
I've had suppositions that someone who regularly hunts by my land has poached before. i know i saw him cart out an animal last year but didn't see it, this year i saw him and asked what he took and avoided it, asked for a picture, avoided it.

is there anything i can do about this, or is my suspicion essentially good for nothing?
The only thing you can do about it is find out if it is actually happening. Your description sounds like you dont even know if there is any poaching going on. What do you mean when you say that last year you saw him cart out an animal but didnt see it. Did you see it or not? Are you talking about him hunting out of season or are you talking about him trespassing or him hunting and not having a tag?

Last edited by Nyksta; 10-03-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM

So what makes you think he is poaching? When I see someone load a carcass into a truck during hunting season, that's not the first thing I think.

If he's hunting land "by" yours, go over and talk to your neighbor, see if he gave permission.

Finally, if someone demanded to see a pic of an animal I shot, I wouldn't give him the time of day either. Also, I'm generally not a picture taker of game I bag or fish I catch. He might not be either.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarlos View Post

help me understand you think you saw him poach last year and then ask him this year what he took!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
Tell him he can't hunt your land if you suspect he is poaching. Then, if he hunts your land he is poaching and you have proof.
That's the easy part.
Getting the conviction is the hard part, but shouldn't stop one from doing the right thing.
Rob
Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Maybe he just isn't looking for friends and doesn't wish to share pics. Need more info why you think poaching.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 PM

Just like around here...the guy that puts his time in finally gets his buck after holding out for years and everyone calls him a poacher. Most guys that get the big ones aren't even getting them scored anymore because of the hassles. Good for them...they know how big he is and how the hunt went down...
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 AM

Last year I saw him pack out an animal,
For sure a deer, but he just brought out the quarters, nothing to truly identify it by, asked if he needed help and he essentially told me to screw off.
I didn't really think about it until my neighbor brought it up to me this year,
We both denied him access, and are both gonna be setting trail cams up to see if he is in our land.

Yeah I guess I wrote that poorly,
By I didn't see it, I meant I couldn't see any identifiable properties if it was a mule or whitey
Old 10-04-2017, 07:21 AM

Carry on, nothing to see here.

TBark
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Juan,

It might be worthwhile to call your local F&W officer, not Report a Poacher.

Often F&W has active investigations in need of further information. You just might be seeing a small part off a bigger picture. This fellow might already be on their radar.

Give F&W a call, it won't hurt and may help.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."