Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Well I was thinkin about getting a float tube....

....but then I decided to have my 17' kevlar canoe shipped out here from back home in Ontario! Can't wait for her to arrive....then I will just need to figure out where to take it.... I'm hoping to find some nice back country lakes that I can "portage" back to.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM

A canoe would be nice for a lot of things, but there are places that you can take a tube that you can't take a canoe. Might as well have both!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Hmmm care to elaborate?...I was thinking I'd be able to take the canoe pretty much anywhere A float tube would go
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootScoot View Post
Hmmm care to elaborate?...I was thinking I'd be able to take the canoe pretty much anywhere A float tube would go
Other than terribly long hikes I'd imagine you are right, the added range while on the water would more than make up for this. If your thinking of rigging it up for fishing have a look at this.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=137519
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM

My canoe is pretty light weight so I can portage it a fair distance, but for the Terribly long hikes I'm gonna pick up this bad boy http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddli...canoe-cart.jsp

And nice set-up! I have pretty much the same trolling motor mount and run a 55lb Minn Kota...I have a sonar unit too, running a humminbird 345c that has a suction cup transducer that just attaches to the bottom of the canoe...I really like it....one thing I've always meant to get is a rod holder and I really like what you've done there..great idea
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what your definition of backcountry is, when I think of it I think of high mountain lakes, places where you backpack into.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of backcountry is, when I think of it I think of high mountain lakes, places where you backpack into.
Running rivers will get him just as far or farther off the beaten path as packing a float tube.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Running rivers will get him just as far or farther off the beaten path as packing a float tube.
I wasn't meaning to say that it wouldn't, but I'm not hiking up a mountain with a canoe. His view of backcountry might be different than my view, not that either isn't backcountry or remote.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I wasn't meaning to say that it wouldn't, but I'm not hiking up a mountain with a canoe. His view of backcountry might be different than my view, not that either isn't backcountry or remote.
I'll take you on a river trip sometime if you like
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
My canoe is pretty light weight so I can portage it a fair distance, but for the Terribly long hikes I'm gonna pick up this bad boy http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddli...canoe-cart.jsp

And nice set-up! I have pretty much the same trolling motor mount and run a 55lb Minn Kota...I have a sonar unit too, running a humminbird 345c that has a suction cup transducer that just attaches to the bottom of the canoe...I really like it....one thing I've always meant to get is a rod holder and I really like what you've done there..great idea
Where are you located... I wouldn't get that cart. There are a ton of top quality ones out there for less that that. Seems very expensive for what it is. I have ssen and bought ones just as good for close to 1/3 the price