Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM

http://www.browning.com/buckmark/winners.asp

The addictive chemical must be impregnated in the metal or something?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
http://www.browning.com/buckmark/winners.asp

The addictive chemical must be impregnated in the metal or something?
Chemical dependency would be the only way to explain it.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
willy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A 700 SPS overpriced?
Yup, in my opinion they are. Nothing more than a stevens with a floor-plate. So if adding a floor plate costs 150-250 bucks, than I'd buy a stevens. BTW, I've seen stevens for 299 this fall but up to 399 as well. Stevens shoot better as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, in my opinion they are. Nothing more than a stevens with a floor-plate. So if adding a floor plate costs 150-250 bucks, than I'd buy a stevens. BTW, I've seen stevens for 299 this fall but up to 399 as well. Stevens shoot better as well.
So just how many Stevens rifles have you personally fired,and how many 700s have you personally fired to come to your conclusion about accuracy?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Don't own a new X-Bolt yet, but will be getting one likely by the end of the year. They are a comfortable gun to shoulder, but I personally prefer the A-Bolt in terms of appearance. Also, as mentioned previously, I find the bolt to feel "thin" compared to my A-Bolts.
As for the detachable clip, prefer the A-Bolt system. Yes, I know the argument about less parts to go wrong, but I think people get a little hung up on petty things sometimes. Is it possible, yes, but be it the A-Bolt design, a detachable, or hinged floor plate, it is just as possible with each. The magazine with a floor plate gives you the best of both worlds.
The SPS is good value for the dollar, absolutely, I've had 2, but I have a hard time seeing the comparison to a Browning. By the time you throw the stock in the garbage where it belongs and replace it, you are in the price range of the better Remingtons, Brownigs, etc.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The magazine with a floor plate gives you the best of both worlds.
I see it as the worst of both worlds.The floor plate prevents quick magazine changes which is the main advantage of a detachable mag system.

Quote:
By the time you throw the stock in the garbage where it belongs and replace it, you are in the price range of the better Remingtons, Brownigs, etc.
I had an A-Bolt stainless stalker,and I found the stock no better than the stock on an SPS.Both are flimsy molded stocks that should be replaced with a quality fiberglass stock,but the lower price of the SPS allows you to buy a decent stock and still be in the price range of the A-bolt with the flimsy molded stock.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Browning should stick to what they know shotguns, pistols and rimfire rifles. They used to make a great centerfire when they built them on mauser actions but have since fallen into despair with their newer centerfires.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy11 View Post
Umm sure.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I see it as the worst of both worlds.The floor plate prevents quick magazine changes which is the main advantage of a detachable mag system.

I had an A-Bolt stainless stalker,and I found the stock no better than the stock on an SPS.Both are flimsy molded stocks that should be replaced with a quality fiberglass stock,but the lower price of the SPS allows you to buy a decent stock and still be in the price range of the A-bolt with the flimsy molded stock.
It keeps all the shells contained in one magazine that can be pulled in and out like any other DM. How many times have you needed, or had the opportunity, to quickly put in another magazine and continue shooting at an animal? Personal preference, but I fail to to see how it is a realistic disadvantage in a hunting situation.
I had a much different view on my 2 SPS stock's which is why neither of them were even fired while they were on the rifle. I'm not saying Browning's are the perfect stock by any means, but I don't think the SPS is in the same league for a factory rifle stock.
I'm guessing you aren't a Browning fan!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It keeps all the shells contained in one magazine that can be pulled in and out like any other DM.
But most other DM systems don't have cumbersome floorplates that aren't necessary,and just slow down loading and unloading.I can load my floorplate rifles about as fast as I could load my A-Bolt.Apparently Browning no longer thinks that the A-Bolt system is the best system,or they would have carried it over to the X-Bolt.

Quote:
I'm not saying Browning's are the perfect stock by any means, but I don't think the SPS is in the same league for a factory rifle stock.
I find one as good as the other.

Quote:
I'm guessing you aren't a Browning fan!
You are guessing wrong,I shoot a Browning shotgun,and a Browning bow.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
willy11

Quote:
So just how many Stevens rifles have you personally fired,and how many 700s have you personally fired to come to your conclusion about accuracy?

Enough.

Last edited by willy11; 01-18-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Ya, Elk, I got all that, you already mentioned it. You have your opinion, I gave mine. As for the Browning fan thing, ok, so you like them, big deal, no difference to me, sorry that comment offended you if it did. Moving back to the thread

I look forward to hearing the reports back from the X-Bolt shooters. Has anyone happened to see one of the X-Bolt RMEF out yet? I would like to get a look at one of them, but that might mean parting with my 325WSM A-Bolt! Decisions, decisions!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Enough.
Just what I expected.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
willy11

Quote:
Just what I expected.
elkhunter11, you're the best!

Last edited by willy11; 01-18-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 AM

Just a small reminder fellas, the topic is about the Browning X-Bolt. Not Rem, Stevens etc....there are people that really want to read about the new X-Bolts.

http://www.browning.com/library/info...?webflag_=023B

The 22-250 is the one I've been looking at lately.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...cattype=035203

Some history.
http://www.huntingsociety.org/HistBrowning.html
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Exclamation Take It Somewhere Else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post

" . . . Moving back to the thread . . . I look forward to hearing the reports back from the X-Bolt shooters . . . "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post

"Just a small reminder fellas, the topic is about the Browning X-Bolt. Not Rem, Stevens etc....there are people that really want to read about the new X-Bolts . . . "

I totally agree!

Some of you have come close to hijacking this thread ... you're being very disrespectful! You have generated enough off-topic dribble to choke a horse!

Please go somewhere else ... start your own thread!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

What the heck are you hunting that you feel you will need to unload one magazine and have to change that fast? Maybe should look at an AR, you can tape two magazines together and REALLY be fast.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
What the heck are you hunting that you feel you will need to unload one magazine and have to change that fast? Maybe should look at an AR, you can tape two magazines together and REALLY be fast.
The only real value that I see in a detachable mag is being able to unload it easily and quickly when getting in and out of a vehicle or atv on the way to and from my hunting spot,or to change loads if I so desire.Why bother with a detachable mag at all if the system is going to be slow and cumbersome because of an unnecessary floorplate.Apparently Browning saw the error of their ways,since the floorplate is not present on the X-Bolt.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The only real value that I see in a detachable mag is being able to unload it easily and quickly when getting in and out of a vehicle or atv on the way to and from my hunting spot,or to change loads if I so desire.Why bother with a detachable mag at all if the system is going to be slow and cumbersome because of an unnecessary floorplate.Apparently Browning saw the error of their ways,since the floorplate is not present on the X-Bolt.

I read your post twice, just to make sure I was reading right...why would anyone need to speed load/unload when getting in/out of a vehicle ?(I will not expand further on that !)
I've had Brownings in my life for about 40+ years and have never had any issues with the floor plate system.
It's not likely an error Browning saw with this system. It's likely pressure from "speed loaders".
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I read your post twice, just to make sure I was reading right...why would anyone need to speed load/unload when getting in/out of a vehicle ?
Have you never been driving down a trail,power line,cutline or across a field to reach your hunting area and seen a deer,moose or elk .Once the vehicle stops,a mature buck or bull elk will usually be thinking about leaving in a hurry.If you can get out of the vehicle,then load and shoot quickly,you can often take the animal before it runs off.The extra time lost due to the unnecessary floorplate can result in a lost shot opportunity.
And no,I am not talking about shooting from a maintained road,I am talking about shooting after leaving the vehicle where it is legal to do so.
Then again you might be sheep or deer hunting when a bear appears too close for comfort.I like the ability to quickly change my magazine for one loaded with bullets more suitable for larger,more dangerous game.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM

being able to load quickly out of the car is especially useful with coyotes i have found...lately...haha...damn yotes.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM

I was on the Browning web site. They have add to there X-BOLT line this year. Now all I have to do is come up with a new story on why I need another one of these guns.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM

The Xbolt is too slimed down put a A bolt in your hands and then put a Xbolt in your hand right afterwards you'll see what I mean. To me I like my rifle to feel like a rifle.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up X-Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivetoHunt View Post

"The Xbolt is too slimed down . . . "
It's all a matter of 'personal preference' ... one man's garbage is another man's gold!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM

I own three Browning rifles, 243-A-bolt, 30 06-stainless stalker A-bolt and my newest one is a 270 WSM X-bolt. These rifles are all deadly accurate and didn't need any custom work to get them to shoot well. I buy Brownings because I know I will get a quality product. Do they cost a little more? Sure, but you get what you pay for. I prefer the new X-bolt magazine over the old A-bolt swing down door, its more convenient, less messing around trying to index the tab into the slot.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Hi there,
I've a X Bolt in .223 on order,I'm concerned about the rings etc.On an American website it stated the rings come with it............is that true here in Canada ?
Also not too sure which scope to get,therefore I'm doubtfull as to which rings to order if I need to !! Follow my drift ?
Also........is it me or is there no firearms listings on the Big Bass Proshop website.
Do any of you know of a southern Alberta store which has a X Bolt .223 in stock,I've been looking with no luck and therefore I've one on order but it could take months !! Help.
Thanks,and Hi,I'm the new guy,great furum / website.
TANKMAN.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Mountain Man Sports

Tankman;

Mountain Man Sports in Cranbrook is an authorized Browning dealer and I've purchased a few guns from them. Even with BC PST, it has still been cheaper for me to drive down there, and pick up the gun in Cranbrook, rather than purchase it in Calgary. They've also treated me really well on trades on a couple of guns that I wanted to rid myself of, and were very fair to me on accessories.

Their gunsmith also did a great job in mounting my rings and scope each time.

I suggest that you contact them and see what they can do for you.

As for Bass Pro Shops, I've been in there a half dozen times since it opened, and am a big fan, however, the gun counter in the Calgary location is severely disappointing thus far. Not much in stock, several guys with very little knowledge, and I've been trying to get my hands on a Ruger Mark II in .416 Rigby for my first African safari...I've literally had four different stories...on back order, not getting any Rugers in, Rugers will be coming, we can order it for you...every time the story changes...not like going to a BPS in a U.S. location with very knowledgeable gun guys...oh well...

On the BBS website, you need to go to their Fine Gun Room webpage - try http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=-1&appID=36

Hope that helps...

tyee43
Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Hi there,
I'll give them a call.
The fine gun room is awesome however out of my league,where's the everyday user gun lists.I can't believe they don't advertise them on line.
Thanks again.
Still not clear on the rings though !
TANKMAN.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM

I own two BBRs and my main hunting rifle is an Abolt. They are all great shooters. The BBRs are a bit on the heavy side, but I like them because of it. I don't own an Xbolt, but I agree with what other people have said about it being slim. I'm a big guy 6'5" 260lbs, and though it's slim, it shoulders well, and it's got a feel that a guy could get used to. It's different from my other rifles, so I'm unsure about it, but i can't find any faults in the rifle. I may scrounge up the cash sometime to buy one.

I've tried the Savage/Stevens kool aid, and puked.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Hi there,
I was stuck on the Tikka t3 lite for a while,but having done some research I think the Browning gets my nod,for lots of different reasons.
If I have to wait I need to get rings and scopes sussed out,especially if I have to order the rings seperately,so I may as well get them in the mean time.
What if they do come with the gun though ??? Then $60.00 wasted !
TANKMAN.

Just heard from another site the rings do not come with the rifle........pity.

Last edited by Tankman; 05-18-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: update.