Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Magpie View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum,and like too say I've enjoyed reading the post's here for about 6 monthes. Now over this time I've seen post's like this one and I know where people are coming from! I too have been checked out on the lakes for barbed hooks, Now I'm the type of person who trys to the best of my abillity to play by the rules, but when things don't add up I'll reserch!!! Now I called F&W and asked them about the barbless hook deal. I was told that there is no offical test NO line test and NO Q-tip test of any kind for the F&W officers too use. They are looking to see that you have pintched your barbs to the best of your abillaty. If they are not satisfied they will "educate" you. Good enough for me. Now I have had differance of oppinions with C.O.'s on this and a few other things such as.
The F&W officer told me if there is ever an issue like this that I should call them right then and there, as Fish and wild life officers are the athority on any matters like this one.

Hopefully this helps, I don't want to knock the C.O's but it seems they are read from a different rule book than the one we are expected to play from.
Good post.

Reading from a different rule book than the one we are expected to play from is way to common in other areas as well.

I assume the barb is designed by the manufacturer with the intent to help prevent the hook from slipping back out of the fishes mouth once it has protruded through. Theoretically more fish may stay on with the barb however it is likely to do more damage even during the removal of the hook which I can attest to from the barb permitted days.

Regulations have been put in place to remove barbs (Simple concept to understand) to reduce injury to fish that are caught which in turn would increase the likelyhood of more fish being released.

End result more fish for us to catch.

I know BLAGH BLAGH BLAGH.

Bottom Line follow the rules....No Barbs and No bad Acronyms

CR