Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Default Right handed shooter using left handed bow

I am dominately right handed and have a right handed compound bow.
Looking for a recurve but vitually all the vintage bows I like are are left handed bows. Wish to learn instinctive shooting using the thumb release method.

From what I've seen online quite a few right-handed archers use the Eastern way of shooting with the arrow on the right side of the bow. Am I wrong in looking for a lefthanded, shelfed, western bow? Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:03 PM

Growing up my problem was the reverse. All bows were right-handed, and I am left-handed. I learned to shoot a right-handed bow no problem.

Vic
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM

I also grew up shooting right handed bows but found out later that I am left eye dominant. As long as you are accurate dont matter to me.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Depends entirely on how you plan to hold the bow, shooting style you will use. If you shoot right handed and the bow is perfectly vertical, shelf either side works but unlike modern compound bows the shelfs were traditionally on the right side for right handed shooters. If you shoot with the bow canted, like so many Trad shooters do, shelf needs to be on the correct side to match your cant, especially the further off vertical you get. That is why so many Trad bows appear to be left handed.

To anticipate the next question, the reason the shelf was on the right side, no separate sights like modern compounds do, you aim using the arrow, bows were predominately designed for effectiveness in battle, you can load and shoot far faster putting arrows on the right side, you don't have to lift the arrow over the bow or remove your left hand to load the next arrow. Finally most right hand shooters cant a bow with the top limb facing left, so shelf on right works better.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:51 PM

This is predicated on using the thumb style of release, thumb and forefinger grip that you were talking about. If you use a three finger release you will need the arrow on the left side,
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Depends entirely on how you plan to hold the bow, shooting style you will use. If you shoot right handed and the bow is perfectly vertical, shelf either side works but unlike modern compound bows the shelfs were traditionally on the right side for right handed shooters. If you shoot with the bow canted, like so many Trad shooters do, shelf needs to be on the correct side to match your cant, especially the further off vertical you get. That is why so many Trad bows appear to be left handed.

To anticipate the next question, the reason the shelf was on the right side, no separate sights like modern compounds do, you aim using the arrow, bows were predominately designed for effectiveness in battle, you can load and shoot far faster putting arrows on the right side, you don't have to lift the arrow over the bow or remove your left hand to load the next arrow. Finally most right hand shooters cant a bow with the top limb facing left, so shelf on right works better.

Thank you. Will have to try shooting a left handed bow with the shelf on the right side - oh what fun.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;4215899]Depends entirely on how you plan to hold the bow, shooting style you will use. If you shoot right handed and the bow is perfectly vertical, shelf either side works but unlike modern compound bows the shelfs were traditionally on the right side for right handed shooters. If you shoot with the bow canted, like so many Trad shooters do, shelf needs to be on the correct side to match your cant, especially the further off vertical you get. That is why so many Trad bows appear to be left handed.

I normally agree with Dean but in my experience a right handed shooter will have the shelf on the left side of the riser. Mind you I have never been in battle but his description sounds painfully awkward. I shot left handed (shelf on the right)for years with compounds but had to close my right eye. It worked...sort of. When I switched to traditional bows for a while I taught myself to shoot right handed (shelf on the left) because of the dominant right eye. You need to be looking over the arrow with your dominant eye to shoot "vintage" or trad and is so much easier even with a compound.That's much easier for a right handed/eyed person of the shelf is on the left side of the bow.

Some how I cut Dean's quote in half. Sorry Dean
Old 08-17-2020, 10:39 PM

Speaking trad bow...If you use 3 finger release you have to use the proper handed bow. If you use a thumb release style you have to use the opposite handed bow because of how the arrow comes off the string, how the arrow flexes on the shot.

LC
Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM

I'm left handed. If I want to use a thumb ring I have to use a right handed bow, due to how the thumb Ring interacts with the string and the pressure of your pointer finger on arrow it will hold the arrow thight on the shelf no matter what way you cant the bow. I shoot with out aiming, I just raise bow up and release, if you draw back and aim I'm not sure how the shelf and side arrows on will be affected. So if right handed u'd use a left hand bow with thumb release... Easyest way would be no shelf shoot off the hand, then you can find what you like best. Thumb release, 3 under, split finger, or some style you make up your self that works. Arrow spine will change also due to having to flex around the bow not having a shelf. Best of luck.