Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Oil Gas Mix?

I have a pile of jerry can in the garage and for the various fuel mixtures for the different 2 stroke motors and I want to reduce them to a few and use it in all my motors. The ice auger is a Jiffy and uses 24:1 and the chainsaw uses 50:1, and a snow blower that runs on 32:1. If one went to 40:1 is that to rich for the saw and snow blower? Thus if you went to 50:1 for the ice auger are you to lean for that motor and will you damage it.
What would you do?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Default Opti

Go to your local small engine store and get some Opti oil. One mix and you can run them all. Many of us have been using it in all our small engines for years. No need to worry about what is in the container.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Have u run fuel stabilizer in any of your Jerry cans? If not, don't even waste ur time trying to mix bad gas just to save a few dollars IMO. As mentioned, get some opti or amsoil sabre and mix 100:1. And, yes it's fine at that ratio.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I have a pile of jerry can in the garage and for the various fuel mixtures for the different 2 stroke motors and I want to reduce them to a few and use it in all my motors. The ice auger is a Jiffy and uses 24:1 and the chainsaw uses 50:1, and a snow blower that runs on 32:1. If one went to 40:1 is that to rich for the saw and snow blower? Thus if you went to 50:1 for the ice auger are you to lean for that motor and will you damage it.
What would you do?
I think 40:1 is way too lean for the ice auger. I hear that there has to be an almost exact amount of mix to ensure long term engine reliability. I hear that even slightly undermixing can lead to greatly accelerated engine wear. As for running 40:1 in the saw, I don't think there is much of an issue there. I would regularly run 50:1 old boat gas in my 4 stroke ATVs to assure that it didn't go to waste and had no issues. If there is too much mix for example, if 1:25 mix is being ran in the saw, then I would be concerned about the engine, carb and exhaust gunking up leading to premature engine failure. To be honest though, I would just stick to the recommened amount of mix for those 2 stroke devices and also I believe a little too much mix is much better than being a little short of mix IMO.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Have u run fuel stabilizer in any of your Jerry cans? If not, don't even waste ur time trying to mix bad gas just to save a few dollars IMO. As mentioned, get some opti or amsoil sabre and mix 100:1. And, yes it's fine at that ratio.
Do the two smoke engines, smoke a lot less with the opti mix as well?

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 PM

40:1 is def not too lean for an ice auger. The problem isn't the ratio, it's the garbage two stroke oil people use...ie jiffy oil ect. My auger ran best with sabre at 100:1

Use decent synthetic oil and u will be amazed at how good ur small engines run. Do some research on the landscaping forums and read why people that use small engines everyday of their lives primarily use sabre and opti.

Yes it will smoke way less and run way better
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Opti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Do the two smoke engines, smoke a lot less with the opti mix as well?
Do they not only smoke less, but no oil dripping out of the exhaust.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Here is their brochure

Check out the info on their website.

http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti01.html

http://opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Well I took some of the advise on here and have purchased soem Amsoil Intercepter, according to their website it si not the best that they make for my application but it is good I think that I might make a test batch of 50:1 to see if the auger is any better, I normally use jiffy's oil so I don't have oil laying around, and for the saw I use what they gave with it for the warranty. It is just that both make more gas then I use in a season. At the end of the season I was adding the left over fuel to a jerry can and then topping up the can so the fuel was quit dilute and using it in my generator and lawn mower but the service guy for the generator told me that it was gumming up the carb and not to do it.
If I made one batch for both them I would not have the left over gas.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM

If I understand the oil figures correctly..... the newer oils say
up to 50:1 or up to 100:1 etc. " up to is the key "
So this means that you mix your fuel at 50:1 as it says on your oil
and you can use it in everything that is below that figure.
IE jiffy uses 24:1 so it falls into that range.
I only use the OPTI mix and I use the same mix in my weedeater
/ jiffy auger/ leaf blower etc, and everything runs smooth.

Am I understanding the "up to " part on the oil bottle correctly ??

And .... on last comment
Lets face it guys... how much of this mix do we actually use ?
I would never use anything but a synthetic ever again. Everything
runs so smooth and clean that it doestn make sense to use the cheap
convencional oil mix.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Well just when I thought I had this figured out, someone drops a bomb on my thought process.
Basically you mix as the oil requires and not the motor, as the lubrication principles are all different for the different oils. I orginally thought that the lubrication was different as the motors where made with different tolerances and some required more lub then others. Basically it the oil provided by the manufacturer that dictates oil gas mix. Change the oil change the ratio. So as the concentrations change in the gas the lubrication remains the same.
Does this make sense to anyone else?
What do you think?