Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
ya we all have a different method and it works

the reason for my method is the spooled line is neutral as you state....but when you now wind it on the spinning reel you are adding a 90 degree twist if you roll it off. By taking it off the edge your replacing it exactly neutral again.

Does it make a real big difference with braid....nah maybe not
Always spool off the edge on spinning reel but never tried in water will have to try
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM

So a couple of things have been brought up that really ring a bell. The first is not pulling the slack out of the line after a cast. I'm definately guilty of simply reeling up the slack after a cast. To make matters worse, I have a rather high cast so I probably end up with more slack in my line than most. I've done this for as long as I can remember but never had a problem until I switched to the braid. I'll be sure to tighten the line with my hand in the future.

The other thing that I was thinking might have been the issue is changing lures. I fished all day at Wabamun on Sunday and Monday without a tangle. Then Monday on teh way home we stopped at a stocker pond to grab some trout for dinner so I was throwing tiny spinners that probably didn't wind onto the spool too well. It was Tuesday night after tieing on the pike gear again that all the problems started in earnest. So does this mean I'll need 2 reels if I want to fish different weights of tackle? I know this is ideal anyways but I just haven't been recently.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
So a couple of things have been brought up that really ring a bell. The first is not pulling the slack out of the line after a cast. I'm definately guilty of simply reeling up the slack after a cast. To make matters worse, I have a rather high cast so I probably end up with more slack in my line than most. I've done this for as long as I can remember but never had a problem until I switched to the braid. I'll be sure to tighten the line with my hand in the future.

The other thing that I was thinking might have been the issue is changing lures. I fished all day at Wabamun on Sunday and Monday without a tangle. Then Monday on teh way home we stopped at a stocker pond to grab some trout for dinner so I was throwing tiny spinners that probably didn't wind onto the spool too well. It was Tuesday night after tieing on the pike gear again that all the problems started in earnest. So does this mean I'll need 2 reels if I want to fish different weights of tackle? I know this is ideal anyways but I just haven't been recently.
try get in the habit of engaging the reel , then sweep your rod alittle before starting to reel

thats what your spare spool is for

or you can use the Horse method..he has 328 reels
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
try get in the habit of engaging the reel , then sweep your rod alittle before starting to reel

thats what your spare spool is for

or you can use the Horse method..he has 328 reels

I think that'll help alot.

My reel definately didn't come with a spare spool. I might see about ordering one though.

Thanks alot for all your help guys, especially you Chub. I've fished a long time but didn't realize how little I knew about it until I started reading these forums.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

My reel definately didn't come with a spare spool. I might see about ordering one though.

Thanks alot for all your help guys, especially you Chub. I've fished a long time but didn't realize how little I knew about it until I started reading these forums.
i hope it helps....everyone is different...some guys can do anything and it works
like a golfer with hideous form but gawd he can slam a ball

unfortunately guys like you and me have to try harder
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
im not trying to start a poop show with the poster who recomeends the screw driver method to install line.....i just do it differently.

for a baitcaster i have no problems with the screwdriver method......the line in being installed the same way its coming off the manufacturers spool

for a spinning reel the refill spool should be facing the reel so the line on the refill spool comes off the edges...not rolling off.
First i put my reel on a icefishing short rod......put about a foot of baby bath warm water in the sink or tub......put the line in the water
if its braid....i tie a simple granny knot to the spool and put on one wrap of electrical tape.
If its a short spool which many new braids are i will use a mono backing

now i grab a wet kitchen sponge and grasp the line and the rod with the sponge between the first and second eye on the rod....start winding

After about 20 winds stop allow slack to form in the line.....if the line twists or even begins to make a motion to twist....flip the refill spool in the water....now your good...refill away
YES! 100%... Thought I knew which way to lay it, label down, label up but every spools different apparently.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM

With super line, wether free spooling or reeling in, I always have to keep tension on the line and I use a small ball bearing swivel with spinning lures. I find that, that detours me from having to fight a rats nest of line most of the time. Whenever I do see a rats nest attempting to start on the line, I just give the line a good tug and it usually pulls the starting mess straight.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 PM

with all this talk about how much braided line birdnests I'm really wondering is it actually that bad? The positives of braided sound pretty good but if its a lot of hassle of trying to not get it to birdnest than I dont know if I want to make the switch.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
with all this talk about how much braided line birdnests I'm really wondering is it actually that bad? The positives of braided sound pretty good but if its a lot of hassle of trying to not get it to birdnest than I dont know if I want to make the switch.
thats your decision to make
many people have no issues
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Give the Reel Doctor a call...he's got a pretty good selection of spare spools

edit: as for superlines, I think I've tried most of them now, and though I have slight preferences for some over others I personally like them far better than any mono overall. I hope you get your issue sorted out. I've had no issues with birds' nests that weren't my own fault, and I've found that the tougher superlines are a little easier to pick the nests out of. As with anything in fishing though, your mileage may vary.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

I use this to wind my line real good for baitcaster little more work for spinning reel
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Well, I think it's worth it. I only had issues on one day. But the issues that day were HORRIBLE. I'm not kidding when I say I was re-tying after every cast because of a bird's nest. I'd used the same spool for about 20-30 hours in the 4 days before that without any issues. I'm still not 100% sure what the issue was but I think it had alot to do with reeling in slack line.

The benefits are great, IMO. If I can get the tangles to stop, I think paying 20 bucks for line will actually save me money in the amount of jigs I don't lose in the river. I had a couple of snagged jigs I thought were gonners, but wrap you line around a stick and pull and the hook will straighten until the lure pops out...

But I think the biggest benefit is the sensitivity. Being able to feel the beat of a spinner or spoon as it goes through the water helps alot.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Something that just occured to me - do you fish with spinners a lot?

I ask because the only problem I've ever really had with braid (that wasn't entirely self inflicted) was when I was fishing a lot with heavy spinners, and the spinners were actually twisting the line up, to the point that if I let a section of the line go slack it would just twist up on itself. Good quality swivels help the issue, though I still notice my line twisting from time to time. Just gotta keep an eye on it.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Something that just occured to me - do you fish with spinners a lot?

I ask because the only problem I've ever really had with braid (that wasn't entirely self inflicted) was when I was fishing a lot with heavy spinners, and the spinners were actually twisting the line up, to the point that if I let a section of the line go slack it would just twist up on itself. Good quality swivels help the issue, though I still notice my line twisting from time to time. Just gotta keep an eye on it.

Not alot no. That being said, the problems occured right after I had been fishing for stockers using a spinner attached directly to the line. Usually I would have used a swivel but I only had my pike outfit with me and that doesn't include swivels as I use the cheap pre-made wire leaders for pike.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that I tied on a bunch of fresh line from the spool after the first 3 or so knots and the knots were still happening.