Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Default Tofield coal lakes

Heading out there early next week to do a project. Wondering is Black nugget still a viable trout fishery it has been a long time since I fished there. Should I even bother to bring the rods and boat? Thanks for your thoughts ahead of time.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Black Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Heading out there early next week to do a project. Wondering is Black nugget still a viable trout fishery it has been a long time since I fished there. Should I even bother to bring the rods and boat? Thanks for your thoughts ahead of time.
posted info on a thread a while back for a guy looking for trout fishing near camrose. it's been a number of years since i've fished it. no one else offered any new info on that thread. it sure used to hold good fish. you won't need the boat. that's all i got, sorry.

Dace
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Not sure about this year specifically, but I do know first hand that it is DEEP! can be 20 or 30 feet shore to shore in some spots, but have a 20 foot deep hole in there. Took boat out with fishfinder and it can drop from 2 feet to 18 feet deep, over a couple feet horizontally. I know fish survive the winter, and have heard of some big ones being caught. But they are VERY finicky there from what i've heard, and my experience. very very little luck, couple bites, nothing ever brought in.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Wink

i hooked a rainbow at black nugget one time..best fishing is on the other side ,some guy as 3 private trout pounds,i think its fly fishing only.