Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
sheephunter

If you are interested in U.S. states and their laws reagarding crossbows, here is the complete directory.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/cros...ons/index.html

Not sure I really buy into your trophy whitetail theory gander when the majority of Alberta whitetail seasons include a general tag for a rifle but states do vary widely on their acceptance of crossbows. You might want to rethink the trophy whitetail arguement though....I think there are few other factors at work
Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you are interested in U.S. states and their laws reagarding crossbows, here is the complete directory.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/cros...ons/index.html

Not sure I really buy into your trophy whitetail theory gander when the majority of Alberta whitetail seasons include a general tag for a rifle but states do vary widely on their acceptance of crossbows. You might want to rethink the trophy whitetail arguement though....I think there are few other factors at work
Laugh if at simple logic if you care too.In Alberta archery season comes before general season with crossbows increasing hunter pressure and success by providing an easier means of tagging a deer there will therefore be fewer mature bucks during breeding season. In the areas where I hunt there is already an increase in "smaller" fawns(offspring concieved in the second breeding cycle) which would seem to indicate an there are not enough bucks to get the job done the first go around.Furthermore as Alberta is a province blessed with many big game animals to pursue if crossbows are allowed in archery season those drawn for other big game species will fill their tags sooner and thereby create more hunting pressure for whitetails during general season.Secondly many of Alberta's trophy deer come from the famed "bowzones" wmu 212 248.Including crossbows in archery hunting would increase hunter success in these wmus thereby lowering trophy potential.While I agree that there are a lot of factors that come into play in creating trophy deer if a buck does not live past his second year he will never reach his trophy potential this is called the growing to maturity factor if you will.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 04-25-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: missed another spot
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Brief from SRD

Here is the brief SRD provided recently on crossbows:

PROPOSED REGULATION CHANGE FOR 2011

ALLOW THE USE OF CROSS-BOWS DURING ARCHERY ONLY SEASONS – F & W EDMONTON

1. CURRENT STRATEGY

Wildlife Regulation: 105(2): A person shall not hunt big game with a legal cross-bow during an archery only season unless the person holds a cross-bow licence.

Under the Wildlife Regulation the use of cross-bows during an archery only season is prohibited, unless the hunter has obtained a cross-bow licence due to a physical limitation. To hunt with a cross-bow during an archery only season individuals must obtain a cross-bow licence, bow hunting permit and additional licences as required.

In Alberta there are archery-only seasons in WMUs 212, 248 and 410 which have been in place for a number of years. They allow the use of traditional archery equipment such as longbows and recurve bows as well as compound bows. In most WMUs and for most species there are also archery only seasons which precede general (rifle) seasons. The use of cross-bows for hunting was illegal except for mobility impaired hunters until 2002 when they were legalized for use during primitive weapon, rifle and bird game seasons.

2. CONCERN

Some individual stakeholders as well as key stakeholder groups have repeatedly requested that cross-bows be permitted during archery only seasons. Proponents of cross-bows believe that this will enhance hunting opportunities and encourage new hunters. Allowing cross-bows in archery-only areas would likely translate to only a small increase in the number of hunters in the province, as interest would be greatest among existing rifle or cross-bow hunters looking for additional hunting opportunities. However, there may be interest from youth and elderly hunters who do not have the physical capacity to draw a compound bow.

There are also important stakeholder groups that oppose allowing cross-bows during archery seasons. If cross-bows are permitted during archery only seasons, significant changes to the allocation of licences and restrictions to archery only seasons would likely be implemented. The effectiveness of cross-bows is very similar to modern compound archery equipment; however there would be an increase in the number of hunters participating in archery hunting. While success rates would remain relatively constant overall harvest would increase. Significant changes that would be considered include; putting moose and mule deer hunting under the authority of Special Licences in many WMUs and reducing rifle (general) allocations where required.

3. INFORMATION TO SUPPORT CHANGE

Currently in Canada, cross-bows are permitted during archery only seasons in British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Ontario and Quebec as well as numerous jurisdictions in the United States of America (see Table 1 for cross-bow use in Canadian jurisdictions). Additionally, some jurisdictions allow cross-bows during archery seasons for individuals of a certain age (i.e. over 50 years of age). In jurisdictions that allow cross-bows, it has been found the hunter success rate is comparable to traditional bow hunters. An increase in harvest would result from the increase in hunters using that season. With an anticipated increase in harvest, allocations would need to be adjusted to reflect an increased harvest through archery equipment.

4. RECOMMENDED CHANGE

Allowing the use of cross-bows is undergoing consultation between Fish and Wildlife and major stakeholders. Depending upon results of the consultation process there are four alternatives being considered, specifically;

I. Maintain the status quo and prohibit the use cross-bow during archery only seasons. Cross-bows would continue to be allowed for individuals that have physical limitations as outlined in the Wildlife Regulation.

II. Allow the use of cross-bows during archery only seasons for individuals over 50 years of age.

III. Allow the use of cross-bows in archery only areas during current archery seasons. This would include WMUs 212 and 248 that have defined archery only areas within the WMUs.

IV. Allow the use of legal cross-bows during archery only seasons.

Table 1. Use of cross-bows in all Canadian jurisdictions across Canada. Categories include; cross-bows permitted as archery equipment in archery only seasons, restricted use (i.e. allowed during primitive weapon seasons) and prohibited as hunting equipment. Information presented reflects hunting regulations for the 2009 hunting season.

The columns misalgned in the table: BC, Ontario, Quebec, Nunavit and NWT allow crossbows in archery season. Alberta, Sask, Manitoba and Nova Scotio restrict use, prohibited in the other provinces

Cross-bow Use
Jurisdiction Archery Restricted Prohibited
British Columbia X
Alberta X Ontario
Saskatchewan X
Manitoba X
Ontario X
Quebec X
Nova Scotia X
New Brunswick X
P.E. I X
NFLD X
Yukon X
N.W.T X
Nunavut X

Total 5 4 4

Last edited by conservationist; 04-26-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Table incorrect
Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

I would rather see that crossbow be in teh same season as the muzzel loader season. Keep archery to its self (even if it means the last two weeks of archery is no open to stuffers and x-bows.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM

crossbow-you dont have to draw back and get busted
-you dont have to hold no wieght back
-your pretty much hunting with a defender
i think bow season should stay bow season, Just my 2 cents
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM

What possible purpose would there be to ressurect this thread when there is an identical newer one being argued at this very minute? C'mon over and join the party!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

haha i no i posted in the wrong damn it, still a little groggy and im rushin to go fishin.