Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 11:37 PM

If this is a repeat offender,then a consequence may be necessary. If this is her first offence and the consequence is death, then how is that something she can learn from? Too bad ,and a terrible thing. But bears are nasty, especially in the fall with cubs. Foggy, probably no wind, tough to see landmarks,directions,hard for the bear too. Spooky.

Bad luck and bad timing. RIP Rick.

Last edited by trainerdave; 09-12-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
This particular bear killed a human without receiving any consequence. The odds are now even higher that the bear will repeat the same behavioral pattern when in contact with a human. Draw your own conclusions. IMO a poor decision on behalf of management.
This^^
Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdave View Post
If this is a repeat offender,then a consequence may be necessary. If this is her first offence and the consequence is death, then how is that something she can learn from? Too bad ,and a terrible thing. But bears are nasty, especially in the fall with cubs. Foggy, probably no wind, tough to see landmarks,directions,hard for the bear too. Spooky.

Bad luck and bad timing. RIP Rick.
Who GAF if she learns anything!!
The only lesson to be learned here will be after the fact if she attacks another person,and that lesson is "duhhhhhh...maybe we should have put her down the first time."
Old 09-13-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Fools

This bear is not in a remote area she is in Piclklejar Lakes area where hundreds of hikers visit per week without protection. The area is closed because she is now a problem bear. When they reopen the area in two months has she been rehabilitated. No, she has just moved into another area or a sleeping time bomb until spring. If there is no issues with this bear after she kills someone then that area should be opened today as she is just another one of the many bears in each one of those valleys and basins. That's the "chance you take right"!!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Default what Cat & Earl said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I'm with Cat on this one. I feel for the family, and i'd be curious to see what they feel about it. For me, I would hope if it were the same circumstance that my family would hold no grudge on the bear. Then again I might feel awful different if it was my loved one, but I hope not. I will have gone doing what I loved instead of some hospital bed.
RIP brother

i'm with Cat and Earl on this, my feeling,s exactly
Old 09-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
i'm with Cat and Earl on this, my feeling,s exactly
Yup... Big Time.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This particular bear killed a human without receiving any consequence. The odds are now even higher that the bear will repeat the same behavioral pattern when in contact with a human. Draw your own conclusions. IMO a poor decision on behalf of management.
Exactly my thoughts on this bear. Not every bear or bear with cubs is that aggressive. What's going to happen when she gets on the next gutpile or dead animal? God help the next hunter or hiker that happens to get anywhere close to her because she's probably going to put the run on them too, maybe with the same outcome.

As far as saying well why don't we just kill them all and chuck in cougars and wolves while we are at it, really? What a silly statement. No one is advocating to wipe all the bears out folks. Just one whose behaviour is particularly aggressive and has now learned that people are just another animal.

Stupid and terrible decision imo.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 AM

The service for our friend Rick Cross is at Harvest Hills Alliance Church on Today Saturday Sept 13 at 2:00. 10099 Harvest Hills Blvd

In Lieu of flowers The Family are asking that people make a donation to the mission that Rick started, Unity Christian Mission. Rick’s passion for the Liberia mission is to purchase land and buildings that will better work for the school children.
Please pass this along to anyone who you think appropriate.

Thanks
Greg
Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm with Cat on this one. I feel for the family, and i'd be curious to see what they feel about it. For me, I would hope if it were the same circumstance that my family would hold no grudge on the bear. Then again I might feel awful different if it was my loved one, but I hope not. I will have gone doing what I loved instead of some hospital bed.
RIP brother
To the best of my knowledge they don't hold anything against the bear, neither do I. I simply feel that in an area where the bear populations are very healthy and that sees a a lot of human traffic is leaving the bears alone with no consequence a risk you really want to take?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Default Yes

I do feel different about it now that I realize it was Picklejar area, if it was a bear familiar with people, what we used to call contact bears, then it might be a good idea to relocate or destroy. Sucks really.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I do feel different about it now that I realize it was Picklejar area, if it was a bear familiar with people, what we used to call contact bears, then it might be a good idea to relocate or destroy. Sucks really.
So ten posts later and after you get some more facts you change your tune.

Maybe you should know the facts before posting! Sorry guys and gals but this bear should be put down, JMO...

I don't care if you like my opinion or not, you wont change my mind. If she kills a hippy tree hugger before the snow flies heavy, you can guarantee the MEC toque wearing, dreadlock whiners will be calling for her to be put down ASAP before it happens again. If it is another hunter, they will stay out of the area and say good for the bear!

I will tell you this that I know as fact. I know of some troubled bears in the past few years that were removed from the areas they caused trouble in, the media is told they were moved to a more suitable area. In fact, they were taken down the road and released and killed. Call bull**** all you want but my sources are very good.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 AM

It's not the sow that needs killed. It was doing what mama bears do. The cubs however..... Are in their learning stage......they just watched there teacher take down and kill a human..... IMO, keep the breeding sow alive and get rid of those cubs who just watched their teacher kill a human.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 AM

Just read this post ,I had to stop and really think that this could of happened to any of us. I have hunted sheep alone for a week ,gone on daily hunts alone and just last year I went on a hunt with a buddy , and we split up for a few hours.
I was walking down a cut line ,hip high in grass and a sow jumped out of the bush ,she stood up 12 ft away . Then she went back in the bush and chased her 3 cubs up a tree. She came out again and stood on all fours in the middle of the cut line , her hair standing straight up ,but this time 50 ft down the cut line and ready to fight and defend . I was lucky the grass was shorter in that area that I could seen her the second time....I just walked out the way I came .(very lucky)
I've walked down this cut line for 5 years now ,and never seen a bear in this area. The bush has changed ,seems to be a lot more bears as not as many hunter hunt them.

My pledge to Rick and his family is not to walk alone while hunting this year.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I, as I expect many others have given a lot of thought to this very unfortunate incident. Since posting this I feel I was in error saying this bear received no consequence. She indeed was given a consequence, that being, she killed a man and got what she wanted, Threat Removed.. She in fact was positively reinforced as a consequence to hear actions. This increases the likelihood of her repeating this behavior if a similar situation were to arise in the future. It is a very poor decision to let this bear live anywhere there is a possibility of her encountering another human.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Too bad this topic can't be put to rest. A sportsmen lots his life in a bad situation and perhaps the bickering could be taken somewhere else and leave the fellow with some respect.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bears with cubs are dangerous, everybody knows that .
Cat
Ya but 99.9% of bears with cubs will not attack and kill a human.
Unfortunately all the stars lined up for a tragic situation. Wind was probably not in Rick's favor and he have just gotten to close before the sow noticed him. It is hard to really know if this bear would ever be a repeat offender.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

I hope nobody ever has a problem with this bear again but if / when it does happen I sincerley hope the victim / family takes the government to the cleaners over it.

Yes the bear was just being a bear. Picklejar is a busy area. That bear has now learned it can easily kill a human. Whether it's a hunter or a granola muncher is irrelevant. Now that it's done it once I believe the liklihood of it doing it again increases exponentially.

I hope we never find out I was right.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ultimate Redneck View Post
I hope nobody ever has a problem with this bear again but if / when it does happen I sincerley hope the victim / family takes the government to the cleaners over it.

Yes the bear was just being a bear. Picklejar is a busy area. That bear has now learned it can easily kill a human. Whether it's a hunter or a granola muncher is irrelevant. Now that it's done it once I believe the liklihood of it doing it again increases exponentially.

I hope we never find out I was right.
Exactly my thoughts as well....

LC
Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So go kill 'em all then and be done with it, just in case another person gets killed
While you're at it you may as well wipe out the cougars and the wolves as well, just in case.

Cat
You just lost all respect any previous posts may have earned.

If you don't understand why that bear must be killed, at least refrain from broadcasting your ignorance on a thread dedicated to a fallen outdoorsman.

RIP, and thoughts and prayers to the family.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
You just lost all respect any previous posts may have earned.

If you don't understand why that bear must be killed, at least refrain from broadcasting your ignorance on a thread dedicated to a fallen outdoorsman.

RIP, and thoughts and prayers to the family.
Ignorance?
The bear had cubs with it , what do you expect a bear to ?
Now people are using this to bring back the grizzly hunt to using it as an excuse to be able to pack a hand gun, neither if which I am opposed to , I just don't think we need to use this tragedy or this thread as an excuse for it, especially when the person was actually hunting and had a rifle with him.
Cat
Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM

I would expect it to take off, perhaps a bluff or two, like the vast majority of other bears would. If all grizzlies reacted like this one we would have multiple people killed or mauled each year.

The point is why would anyone body want to take that chance. If the bear does it again to another person then what?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I would expect it to take off, perhaps a bluff or two, like the vast majority of other bears would. If all grizzlies reacted like this one we would have multiple people killed or mauled each year.

The point is why would anyone body want to take that chance. If the bear does it again to another person then what?
Nothing. If this bear kills another person it is just acting natural. It is natural for bears to hunt live prey so I expect predatory attacks will now also be acceptable behaviour.

If this government wasn't so politically powerless and afraid of losing votes, this bear and cub would be dead already. I suspect that if the victim was a child and not a hunter that the decision would be different.

That is IF f&w actually know which bear is responsible.

The fact that a private company who's business is non lethal predator actions was involved in the decision to let this bear live gives me concern. Parks had a policy to destroy bears that make violent contact with people causing death or injury. I guess the new decision makers along with private enterprise are now going to experiment with having known man killers living in highly used areas of our parks. Time will tell if Parks has the balls to let the next known man killer live.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Nothing. If this bear kills another person it is just acting natural. It is natural for bears to hunt live prey so I expect predatory attacks will now also be acceptable behaviour.

If this government wasn't so politically powerless and afraid of losing votes, this bear and cub would be dead already. I suspect that if the victim was a child and not a hunter that the decision would be different.

That is IF f&w actually know which bear is responsible.

The fact that a private company who's business is non lethal predator actions was involved in the decision to let this bear live gives me concern. Parks had a policy to destroy bears that make violent contact with people causing death or injury. I guess the new decision makers along with private enterprise are now going to experiment with having known man killers living in highly used areas of our parks. Time will tell if Parks has the balls to let the next known man killer live.

What a conflict of interest. Wow that is crazy. Thanks for that tidbit of info WB.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Crazy David

Hey Crazy David, what's with the hostility? Lol
This thread is inching towards being an emarassment for this tragedy. If your too emotional to be polite, don't post.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hey Crazy David, what's with the hostility? Lol
This thread is inching towards being an emarassment for this tragedy. If your too emotional to be polite, don't post.
It's already gone that way IMO, what with the "you're for us or against us"' mentality of some of the posters here.
Cat