Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Default First Solo Hunt

I am headed out to the Fort Assiniboine area to try my luck out there. Never hunted solo , or in the area. Got my bear spray ( not sure about the population there), and people know where I am camping. Pretty casual trip, not even setting up a tent. Plan to sleep in my truck bed.

Any tips for the area or recent experiences? First year hunter , so this is pretty exciting. Going with bow , but have my 22 for grouse.

TIA
Fizz
Old 09-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Some nice spots out there. Will you be headed down the lease roads or further north to the power lines? i was told down by the river too good areas just a bit thick and steep. If gets too cold just pay the 100 bucks for the motel in town bud. Last year we went out after the WT rut was just over managed to stalk beautiful buck but couldn't get a clean shot on him. I know where he is now hopefully spot him again.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 AM

I have sledded west of town lots, closer to Trapper lee's. Lot of cut lines and pipelines some oil field roads. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Well , back in one piece. Saw two does on day one on the drive in. Then a shutout ( lots of grouse, but was looking for deer). Last day saw a doe and a fawn at about 120 yards down a line, but could not sneak in. Saw lots of wolf prints, a dead moose skeleton and one fresh pile of moose crap. Still had a blast listening to the wind, and waiting for animals. Will be back there soon!