Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Default To all you sheep hunters!

I love seeing threads on sheep taken here and it always looks like you just go out and kill a nice ram. Well this year is the first year I have really tried to "hunt" for sheep instead of just going for a drive or hike and if I see one I see one. I have read all the threads and a couple books and taken the tips of glassing more than hiking and I have to say that playing the glassing/patience game is tough! I commend all you guys that sheep hunt! I don't know how you see them things at such long ranges and can pick them out. Spending all day behind the glass and not seeing anything is tough on the mental side of things. Its a learning curve for sure! Congrats to all you successful sheep hunters and good luck everybody else!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Keep at it! I was very fortunate this year but worked very hard starting as early as May. Scouting areas, glassing, and just believing that sheep live there. Sheep hunting is a whole different ball game and you will learn things about yourself you never knew while pushing yourself in the mountains in persuit of bighorns. It is the single most rewarding feing when your first ram hits the dirt!
Good luck to you in future hunts!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
Spending all day behind the glass and not seeing anything is tough on the mental side of things.
That right there is one of the hardest part of sheep hunting, but one of the biggest keys to being successful.

Get in to real sheep country and sit. Move from time to time, but sit and watch with decent glass, it will pay off.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 AM

You just have to believe a ram is right there and you just haven't found it yet. Keeping yourself convinced is one of the hardest things about it for me. Like some twisted bad-***** game of "Where's Waldo?"

Good luck out there!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Its definately a mental game and you will put yourself through more ups n down in one season of sheep hunting then most hunters put themselves through in years of hunting .. keep at it , put yourself in sheep country and once you find a few sheep things will start to materalize and first you know, all those marmots your seeing , one day those will turn into rams..

Mamba
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM

I have it far from figured out but the one thing that has led to success for me is go further and harder than anyone else. They also tend to live harder country than ewes. Push yourself to go that extra mile the extra ridge in the distance.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys, its definitely a lot of trial and error. I am looking for the habitat that I think they would like based on water, feed and bed. More than anything its fun to see new country.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM

I find most sheep very close to the tree line or mostly in the trees when its hot