Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Hunting with a child

Took my 7yr old out for some grouse and rabbits today. Wasn't expecting to get anything because of the constant chatter coming from him. We saw 1 grouse and no rabbits. Spooked up a couple wt does. But all he wanted to do was shoot so i set up a couple of pop cans and gave him some fatherly advice on handling a firearm.
For not shooting anything it was a fantastic day because he got to shoot a real gun (.22). He was more impressed with my single barrel 16 gauge.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 PM

I've been trying hard to take my 2 oldest boys with me when ever I can. Solo Archery elk is hard at the best of times, ah well it's a great investment. Seeing their eyes light up when a bull answers is priceless.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Ya gotta get em goin when there little un's!

So long ago it seems, my two were like your two, talking constantly, always asking questions, always by my side.
I also just realized all those photos are not in an electronic format.

Kudos to you, job well done!

Remember the old saying:
I take my kids hunting, so I won't have to hunt for my kids.

Cherish these days.
Thanks.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 PM

I take my boy with me a fair amount of the time, hes five this year and will start coming deer/elk hunting this fall on day trips and maybe one overnighter closer to november. My 12 year old daughter comes as well!

Bennett
Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

My nine year old son came hunting with me and my buddy yesterday for the first time. He's come out scouting before though. He got within 20 yards on a buck that I just couldn't get a clean line on. And then today my buddy got a small buck and my son helped gut and skin him with us. I can't wait until he's 12!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:58 PM

That's awesome. I just started taking my 5 year old daughter hunting this year. Been going elk hunting. I've been doing the calling for my brother and had a number of cows inside 30 yards with her. She thinks it's so amazing and Is surprising quite.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM

I went out this morning with the 13 year old grandson and one of the neighbour kids. The night before I had a cow elk respond along with a small bull. Anyways, the grandson was tapping at gramps bedroom door at 05:00 raring to go. We got out to the 1/4, gave a couple cow calls and had a bull come in quiet to 50yds away. When he bolted through the bush, the look on the grandson and his buddy's face will be with me forever. You couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces that we had something come in first time out. We changed positions and tried again but all the bull would do was give a couple deep growls in response. Regardless, these kids are hooked for life. I'm back from work in 8 days for the wife's fundraiser on the 27th and these two are primed and itching to get out again. Hunting has become fun again.....
Old 09-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Default well done

Well done sir.In this era of electronic mind candy you have hooked another generation on the outdoors.No app for that.Priceless
Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 PM

That's all mine have known, been coming along before they could walk

Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Awesome pics guys. Love seeing kids in the outdoors.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM

My boys first hunt 3 years ago
[IMG][/IMG]

Just bought him his first rifle.
[IMG][/IMG]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 AM

Had my four year old son out for 4 days of archery antelope. He loved it . His "Poppa" satyed in the truck with him while me and his uncle pursued the elusive antelope buck with decoy.. Will post pics of our hunt when home. He loved the cleaning and debonning of the antelope when we got one.