Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Default Problem with deer blind

So was out this morning with fellow AO member at 3 different locations in 248 for some spot and stalk deer/moose hunting. Did flush 1 whitetail doe and 5 coyotes but no real clean shots. Went to check out one of my deer stands that I haven't been to this year yet (actually it's a 3 level "mansion" lol). Turns out i have some unwanted guests that have moved into my stand. Forget the bear spray, bring on the wasp spray!
Has anyone else noticed how bad the wasps are this year? Hate the little buggers. That first dark pic. is a huge wasp nest on the second level on my stand. We didn't notice on the way up or 2nd pic would never have happened. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mansion2.jpg (36.0 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg mansion1.jpg (82.5 KB, 307 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 09:42 AM

WOW!!! Hard to get rid of those guy's without getting close. I recently got rid of a nest in the back yard. They burrowed into the ground and waited for me to mow the lawn to plot their attack!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Yes the wasps and hornets are terrible this year! While setting up tree stands over past few weeks we have stepped on 5 different hives from 8 stands. Got stung a few times by yellowjackets and then just over week ago got really nailed by bald faced hornets. They are black with white stripes. Let me tell you they are mean son of a guns and make a yellow jacket sting seem like a pinch. They got me 5 times and chased me all the way back to truck and even stung me inside truck. Welts were almost size of hockey pucks ( likely a multiple sting site.) This warm weather will fire them up again. For that big hive just buy aerosol can of wasp spray aim right up the hole and give it a long blast itll wipe them out
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quite honestly I collect wasp nests and have a pretty nice collection. Some people find a lucky rock during hunting season, but I always find a small wasp nest (maybe golf ball size) to keep in truck for luck.
Think I will just not use that blind till the cold drives them away/kills them, and then keep that nest intact inside the blind. Will be a good luck/conversation piece for years to come. It always amasses me how well built some wasp nests (like this one) are.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Quite honestly I collect wasp nests and have a pretty nice collection. Some people find a lucky rock during hunting season, but I always find a small wasp nest (maybe golf ball size) to keep in truck for luck.
Think I will just not use that blind till the cold drives them away/kills them, and then keep that nest intact inside the blind. Will be a good luck/conversation piece for years to come. It always amasses me how well built some wasp nests (like this one) are.
Nothin ever wakes up and comes back around in the warmth of the truck?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM

I have always wanted to get a specimen of that size with the whole lot of them inside. Trapp inside of a jar when they are all asleep and cap with a lid... all in theory though. would be a nice piece of art i think