Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Incorrect on both fronts here, heads for submission are mandatory on the base but not outside the perimeter...

So, your comment about ensuring the health of the herd makes no sense really as if this were the case, ALL surrounding areas would be included in the mandatory submission..

Can anyone explain why the difference in this process ?
Well I do agree it states a mandatory head turn in. That is the base policy , a policy or rule that has to be followed as part of them allowing access to the base . However if you ask a Alberta CO he will tell you the base isn't a mandatory head submission area. the province wants to test the animals so they are being tested. I bet next year when the base opens a bull hunt , people will not be so quick to turn those heads in. I may be wrong but I can bet some hunters will not be happy.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Apps for 250 licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Anyone want to take a Guess at the number of guys that put in for this draw ? 5000? 8000 ? Should be interesting ! Also curious to see how many actually show up ..... Hope all 125 do !
It seems there were less than 1000 apps for 600 licenses in the first 6 weeks this year, a lot less. I think there were about 60 tags available for the unsubscribed purchase.

This forum might represent a lot of hunters who think this is a good opportunity to see some awesome wildlife and offer a high likelihood of harvest. My guess is there will be a lot less than 1000 apps for this hunt. Not every hunter can take time from work on the schedule they limit it to or flex so he can take an extra day if they don't harvest on the first day, a real possibility. i was with hunters last year who were there 4 days and hadn't seen a cow inside the block.

While success has been high this year, these animals don't know they are supposed to stay where they can be hunted. They can move into the NWA or cross OOB fences and roads pretty fast and there is nothing anyone can do to move them back into range. It's pretty costly to take time off work, drive, eat and maybe stay for a few days if the herds walk the wrong way all week.

I am guessing 1 app in 3 will be drawn. But just opining to lay it out there for the record. It's a pretty attractive hunt and I think every hunter received an email. That might up the interest.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawckeye View Post
Well I do agree it states a mandatory head turn in. That is the base policy , a policy or rule that has to be followed as part of them allowing access to the base . However if you ask a Alberta CO he will tell you the base isn't a mandatory head submission area. the province wants to test the animals so they are being tested. I bet next year when the base opens a bull hunt , people will not be so quick to turn those heads in. I may be wrong but I can bet some hunters will not be happy.
You can, if done properly, remove antlers and turn in the required brain stem and lymph nodes for testing.

LC
Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun77 View Post
To clear up some of the misconception and straight from the ESRD contact in regads to the licenses:

"One application, whatever as group or single, is for 1 license which is 2 tags. So 2 tags total as a group or single application. Group simply allows 2 guys to pull the trigger. He stressed that that they want to shoot and take down elk. The sole intent of the hunt on suffield is to reduce the population."

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would the ESRD change their definition of a group hunting application for this one hunt? Their definition of a group application is that each hunter is awarded their own license, applying as a group just guarantees that both are drawn or neither are drawn. What this guy is explaining falls under their definition of a partner license. After one guy is awarded the draw he may add a partner to his license to fill the tag, however there still only one tag between the two of them. Why would they switch up the definitions of that they use for every other hunt? Again this makes no sense.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. Why would the ESRD change their definition of a group hunting application for this one hunt? Their definition of a group application is that each hunter is awarded their own license, applying as a group just guarantees that both are drawn or neither are drawn. What this guy is explaining falls under their definition of a partner license. After one guy is awarded the draw he may add a partner to his license to fill the tag, however there still only one tag between the two of them. Why would they switch up the definitions of that they use for every other hunt? Again this makes no sense.
Yes that is a partner license, which contradicts the rules defined here;

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...uota-hunt.aspx

It says no partner licenses will be available.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Strange, anyone who actual draws a tag has to submit the heads from the base for testing... Outside the base is not required nor do I think the substance hunters inside the base have to either.

You are correct about those who may not be so quick to want to submit the heads of bulls if there is in deed a hunt for these inside the base with a draw tag. I bet most have no idea how to properly remove a trophy animals head gear when having to submit the head. Another thing that will cause some issues will be the photo opportunities that are a no go on the base, be a shame not to have a field picture of a great bull for memory purposes.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM

a group license is not 2 tags shared by 2 people (ie 1 animal each)I emailed them and it's
2 tags per person same as one single person applying
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Still amazed that the concept of this hunt escapes many

....don't over think it, it is extremely simple.

LC
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM

This thread is like groundhog day, every time you check in its the same questions/answers just a different page number.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM

its a cull...this isnt a mountain hunt in the thick of the rut....its not going to play out like a primos video.

i got shut out on my moose draw this fall otherwise id never put in for this and take time out of ice fishing season.

I have the freedom to take a few weekdays off with only two weeks notice and have lots of room for the meat and the ability to make use of it all.

I hope those are things everyone applying considers before putting in.

Im interested to see stats after this is all said and done on drawn vs purchased tags.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

my grandma is 80 years old and in a wheel chair/scooter...i am going to submit a draw application for her. If she is sucessful can she use her motorized scooter on the base.

also...

If i leave my dog in the car (tempo) can i bring him along for company?

lastley.....

Can you fires on the base (re: weiner roast)?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
my grandma is 80 years old and in a wheel chair/scooter...i am going to submit a draw application for her. If she is sucessful can she use her motorized scooter on the base.

also...

If i leave my dog in the car (tempo) can i bring him along for company?
Bwaaahahahah... I hope the scooter is 4x4 capable. Maybe make sure you get a pool noodle for the handlebars....
Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickflicker View Post
Yes that is a partner license, which contradicts the rules defined here;

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...uota-hunt.aspx

It says no partner licenses will be available.
Quote:
We ended up calling ESRD back and they confirmed that 1 of their members had been misinforming the Public and this has been rectified. We spoke to the Biologist in charge or this hunt, Shane, and he confirmed that this will follow the definition of 'Group' as already defined and therefore if a Group (max 2 people) is selected, each hunter will receive 1 license (which is good for 2 tags).

Sorry for the confusion but we were misinformed from ESRD.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Thanks for adding nothing ..... I don't intend to apply I'm a good enough hunter that I havent needed more than two days to fill my antlered tag in the last several years and that is done in no snow and above zero temps in September.......enjoy the knee high snow and freezing temps!!!!
Just pointing out that you are adding nothing by repeating how you don't personally feel good about shooting a pregnant cow.
Good for you and your moral high ground....now proceed with the draw and with lots of luck, I can help do my part and and get some food for the family
Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun77 View Post
We ended up calling ESRD back and they confirmed that 1 of their members had been misinforming the Public and this has been rectified. We spoke to the Biologist in charge or this hunt, Shane, and he confirmed that this will follow the definition of 'Group' as already defined and therefore if a Group (max 2 people) is selected, each hunter will receive 1 license (which is good for 2 tags).

Sorry for the confusion but we were misinformed from ESRD.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Default meat

Anyone who is fortunate enough to pull tags at suffield and doesn't have room for the meat, no worry I still have freezer space and I know a number of low income families that I've given wild meat to as recently as this past fall. Trust me they would be very appreciative of any donations.

Contact me on the forum and we'll make a point to get together.
I'll look after all the butching cost you just pull the trigger.

Outdoorfanatic.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Now that's the proper way to do a deer drive!!

That's a picture of the future Suffield elk cull if licenced hunters can't get the job done.

Fill every tag!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Please delete them now

I sure as hell hope those are pics of some base in Siberia. DND is fairly clear that there are to be no pics of anything on the base, I think it's a real bad idea to post any pics of anything on the base even if unrelated to the hunt.

This hunt is being permitted by DND and the Suffield base commander, photos of the base are a good way to get public access to the base denied and this would be the end of the hunt.

Not sure what the benefit of posting these are.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Ok, I am wondering about this

Hi; I have read that at times pregnant caribou cows are targeted while hunting in late winter because of the fetus; which to some is a prized delicacy.

Honest question here (please; no hate mail): How do you clean and cook a fetus and what does it taste like?

PM me if you would rather not reveal your preference or methods.

Hoopi
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I sure as hell hope those are pics of some base in Siberia. DND is fairly clear that there are to be no pics of anything on the base, I think it's a real bad idea to post any pics of anything on the base even if unrelated to the hunt.

This hunt is being permitted by DND and the Suffield base commander, photos of the base are a good way to get public access to the base denied and this would be the end of the hunt.

X2. Cool pics but they should be removed. Moderators...you might want to delete them.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Strange, anyone who actual draws a tag has to submit the heads from the base for testing... Outside the base is not required nor do I think the substance hunters inside the base have to either.

You are correct about those who may not be so quick to want to submit the heads of bulls if there is in deed a hunt for these inside the base with a draw tag. I bet most have no idea how to properly remove a trophy animals head gear when having to submit the head. Another thing that will cause some issues will be the photo opportunities that are a no go on the base, be a shame not to have a field picture of a great bull for memory purposes.
The substance hunters do have to turn in the heads they do remove antlers and take them. Yes there will issues next year with photos if they do allow a bull hunt. I think they will come up with some solution. I hope.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
Hi; I have read that at times pregnant caribou cows are targeted while hunting in late winter because of the fetus; which to some is a prized delicacy.

Honest question here (please; no hate mail): How do you clean and cook a fetus and what does it taste like?

PM me if you would rather not reveal your preference or methods.

Hoopi

Agreed...I'm curious as well. Add me to PM if anyone responds.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Bwaaahahahah... I hope the scooter is 4x4 capable. Maybe make sure you get a pool noodle for the handlebars....
Well unfortunately there are not pets allowed on base. The only dogs allowed are actual servic dogs. Sorry. As far as the scooter the answer is no. Car or trucks only and 4by4 is strongly encourage Remember theses are mud trails and now snow covered Had a difficult time time in 4 wheel drive.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Now that's the proper way to do a deer drive!!
Nice pics. I am assuming you were on the ex 3 yrs ago. You should of read the RSO more closely as pictures are not authorized unless specific BComd approval. These pics don't have nothing to do with the harvest. Sorry I don't share yor sense of humour.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
I think the fee for tags should be a lot higher and draw left open until all tags have been purchased. With such a low cost I'm afraid anybody and everybody will apply with the hope that just maybe I'll be able to get out. Set the tag fee at $100 and then unless you actually plan on going you won't waste a tag that someone else could have actually used.
Just my 2 cents

HEYYYYY , go back to bed
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
X2. Cool pics but they should be removed. Moderators...you might want to delete them.

WHY ,be nice to see the kind of roads and terrain that we will be faced with , nothing to hide out there but training solgiers.

l think
Old 12-18-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Anyone who is fortunate enough to pull tags at suffield and doesn't have room for the meat, no worry I still have freezer space and I know a number of low income families that I've given wild meat to as recently as this past fall. Trust me they would be very appreciative of any donations.

Contact me on the forum and we'll make a point to get together.
I'll look after all the butching cost you just pull the trigger.

Outdoorfanatic.
If you don't have room for the meat than why would you put in for the draw?? Maybe I'm missing something here. Are these people just putting in for the draw so they can go kill something??
Old 12-18-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
WHY ,be nice to see the kind of roads and terrain that we will be faced with , nothing to hide out there but training solgiers.

l think

Because like several people have noted, pictures of the base are strictly prohibited by the government. It would be nice to see more but posting them threatens hunters access to the base if their rules aren't followed. These pics look like they were taken by personnel, not hunters, but they are being posted here on a forum about the hunt.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post

its kind of a dumb rule there is only one area where troops are able to take pictures frigs i have tons of suffield pictures from when i was in

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
These pics don't have nothing to do with the harvest. Sorry I don't share yor sense of humour.
The pics were from open source on the internet and were posted to show the wide open prairie terrain and brutal driving conditions that can be expected by people thinking of participating in this draw. The terrain gets mangled into 4 foot deep ruts by LAV-III’s, Bison, Coyote armoured vehicles, tracked ARV’s and Leopard tanks.
Do not waste somebody else’s chance at this draw if you are not positive that you can deal with it.