Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
this is what will happen. They're only staying up there for part of the time, then flying back home and will drive to other spots. They're going to destroy the Laker/Pike points up north, and then go back to Dief to take the Walleye point....

The trick for the other teams will be to capitalize on as many "exclusive" species (the ones that are available in your region, but not in other team's regions) as you can. Interesting that Aaron felt it would take 10-12pts to win it this year.

Really good point about the Panoptix being an advantage. It's insane how much it helps.

I'm very pro-Manitoba (in all things in life...ha ha ha) so I'm cheering hard for Aaron and Jay. Looking forward to next week already!
I'm not being facetious, but if it's such an advantage then why aren't the other groups using it? It's not the cost barrier or the know how.

And man, sometimes I wish I lived in Manitoba. What a great province for fishing!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM

I was a bit surprised by the fly-in lake but Manitoba has the advantage of being able to drive to trophy fisheries. It is kinda unfair that you can score points for species that don't exist in other provinces/states but i guess that keeps it interesting. Panotics is fair as anyone can buy one. I like Haatja, too bad he is stuck with Peric. I used to watch APbassin but he got annoying. To much drama.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I'm not being facetious, but if it's such an advantage then why aren't the other groups using it? It's not the cost barrier or the know how.

And man, sometimes I wish I lived in Manitoba. What a great province for fishing!
I'm super fortunate that I grew up in the Canadian Shield, in a small town that is basically an island (you cross a bridge to get into it) surrounded by the Winnipeg River (where Jay/Aaron were going for sturgeon last night). That Barrier Bay place Aaron/Jay stayed at in last night's ep is a 10 minute boat ride from my hometown via the Wpg River. It's a ridiculous fishery (and that's just the Wpg River!) with trophy walleye, pike, bass, mooneye/goldeye, whitefish, sucker and sturgeon that can get up around 75lbs. When we were kids, we were so spoiled with that fishery. We'd ride our bikes over to the shoreline that surrounded the town, and hop into our boat (virtually everyone owned a boat) and take off down the river. It runs from mighty Lake Winnipeg on one end, out to Lake Of The Woods on the other end. We'd rip up and down a stretch of 50km's or so, targeting whatever we felt like that day.

It's definitely different in West-Central AB...ha ha ha. I've never been so land-locked in all my life!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm super fortunate that I grew up in the Canadian Shield, in a small town that is basically an island (you cross a bridge to get into it) surrounded by the Winnipeg River (where Jay/Aaron were going for sturgeon last night). That Barrier Bay place Aaron/Jay stayed at in last night's ep is a 10 minute boat ride from my hometown via the Wpg River. It's a ridiculous fishery (and that's just the Wpg River!) with trophy walleye, pike, bass, mooneye/goldeye, whitefish, sucker and sturgeon that can get up around 75lbs. When we were kids, we were so spoiled with that fishery. We'd ride our bikes over to the shoreline that surrounded the town, and hop into our boat (virtually everyone owned a boat) and take off down the river. It runs from mighty Lake Winnipeg on one end, out to Lake Of The Woods on the other end. We'd rip up and down a stretch of 50km's or so, targeting whatever we felt like that day.

It's definitely different in West-Central AB...ha ha ha. I've never been so land-locked in all my life!
man you were blessed.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
man you were blessed.
added bonus of having one of the nicest (you talk about SCENERY!) golf courses in Manitoba. My every financial decision in life is made with retiring there in mind. It's stupid how, as kids, we're in such a rush to get out of our hometown and see the world, and only as adults we realize how good we had it...
Old 01-09-2020, 03:49 PM

Wink

Quote:
added bonus of having one of the nicest (you talk about SCENERY!) golf courses in Manitoba. My every financial decision in life is made with retiring there in mind. It's stupid how, as kids, we're in such a rush to get out of our hometown and see the world, and only as adults we realize how good we had it...
true but many places like the 70's little town of Comox is now just too busy for me so gotta look elsewhere....got it pretty good right now though....hunting right out my backdoor and fishing 10 minute drive....and low population compared to other places.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Also grew up in the Canadian Shield spent many years on the Winnipeg River guiding out of Pine Island Lodge I don't know how many species of fish you could probably catch on that River

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Also grew up in the Canadian Shield spent many years on the Winnipeg River guiding out of Pine Island Lodge I don't know how many species of fish you could probably catch on that River

a LOT...ha ha ha. And not just the variety, but the fact that you can get trophies. Like Master Angler sized fish in all those species. It's bonkers...Pine Island Lodge is a nice place. I've never been, but have heard good things. I'm originally from Pinawa, right on the north end of the Whiteshell Provincial Park. The town is now host to Lund Canada's "Lundmania" walleye tournament, that brings in some of the best walleye anglers in North America.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Anyone else find Taro super annoying? It’s like he doesn’t even know what he’s doing.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Anyone else find Taro super annoying? It’s like he doesn’t even know what he’s doing.
I used to...and I totally get what you're saying. He's grown on me, and there's moments where you see him "down" ('cause he's almost always WAY up high...) and he's way more normal. I think it's just his personality. When he fell on the dock...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

All this being said, Taro is a professional fishing guide for a reason...he's very very good and puts fish in the boat. When it comes to bass fishing, there aren't many better than him. I think that fact helps "legitimize" him, in my mind.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:02 PM

gonna give this show a shot if it turns out to be like a big brother type show well I am outta here!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
a LOT...ha ha ha. And not just the variety, but the fact that you can get trophies. Like Master Angler sized fish in all those species. It's bonkers...Pine Island Lodge is a nice place. I've never been, but have heard good things. I'm originally from Pinawa, right on the north end of the Whiteshell Provincial Park. The town is now host to Lund Canada's "Lundmania" walleye tournament, that brings in some of the best walleye anglers in North America.
dont have to live in Manitoba for that kind of fishing

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
NW Ontario is pretty good too!!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Totally different kind of fishing you're in the Canadian Shield ,fishing creeks and rivers, lot different than the southern Prairie of Alberta and Reservoir fishing not that there's not big fish here just a totally different area.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Totally different kind of fishing you're in the Canadian Shield ,fishing creeks and rivers, lot different than the southern Prairie of Alberta and Reservoir fishing not that there's not big fish here just a totally different area.

I fish rivers every chance I get rather than the lakes. Bet not many eastern anglers have caught our size walleye. and Ive still got a ways to go upwards, need my 36 incher!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-09-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I fish rivers every chance I get rather than the lakes. Bet not many eastern anglers have caught our size walleye. and Ive still got a ways to go upwards, need my 36 incher!!!
Unless you fished it you'll never know what it's really like, just a special area to fish and hunt Wild Rice Lake's full of ducks in the fall I could go on and on trophy fish aren't there as plentiful as they used to be still love going back home every June to fish for Smallmouth

Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Unless you fished it you'll never know what it's really like, just a special area to fish and hunt Wild Rice Lake's full of ducks in the fall I could go on and on trophy fish aren't there as plentiful as they used to be still love going back home every June to fish for Smallmouth

NOTHING BETTER than top water smallies!!!

And LOL at finding trophy walleye that'll beat our Lake Winnipeg greenbacks. There's a reason people come from all over the world to fish there every winter. It's unmatched.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=Poppa;4088854]NOTHING BETTER than top water smallies!!!

And LOL at finding trophy walleye that'll beat our Lake Winnipeg greenbacks. There's a reason people come from all over the world to fish there every winter. It's unmatched.[/
so 14 pounders arent good? I dont know Im just new at walleye fishing, and only have 2 14 pounders so far. and maybe 30 or 40 from 10 to 13. is that good? they are just Alberta fish I guess that doesnt count to foreigners

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-10-2020, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=WayneChristie;4089007]
Quote:
NOTHING BETTER than top water smallies!!!

And LOL at finding trophy walleye that'll beat our Lake Winnipeg greenbacks. There's a reason people come from all over the world to fish there every winter. It's unmatched.[/

so 14 pounders arent good? I dont know Im just new at walleye fishing, and only have 2 14 pounders so far. and maybe 30 or 40 from 10 to 13. is that good? they are just Alberta fish I guess that doesnt count to foreigners
I guarantee you people aren't coming from all over the world to fish you're part of Alberta where you've got two 14 Pounders out of how many man hours that you fish. From what I've read of your post you're pretty hardcore and spend thousands and thousands of hours fishing it's not a competition we're just saying there's other areas that have better fishing and overall experience

Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 AM

There is lots of amazing fishing scattered throughout this country that goes unnoticed and you rarely here about it. Every province holds hidden gems and some surpass waters with top reputations. Just because people don’t come from all over the world to fish a body of water does not mean it is not world class. Most well known world class fisheries are good but marketing by guides/lodges also plays a big factor

Some places just don’t see the fishermen to get a reputation or the species is not popular in that region
Old 01-10-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There is lots of amazing fishing scattered throughout this country that goes unnoticed and you rarely here about it. Every province holds hidden gems and some surpass waters with top reputations. Just because people don’t come from all over the world to fish a body of water does not mean it is not world class. Most well known world class fisheries are good but marketing by guides/lodges also plays a big factor

Some places just don’t see the fishermen to get a reputation or the species is not popular in that region
Yes I agree with you having fished from Quebec all the way to the West Coast and North to the Arctic Ocean

Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree with you having fished from Quebec all the way to the West Coast and North to the Arctic Ocean

Bet you have experienced some good fishing in your travels. I am not as traveled as you are but have definitely stubbled on a few amazing fisheries. Some were on remote hunts in northern BC and others that were just overlooked

In my opinion you can find great fishing everywhere but some places you definitely need to look harder
Old 01-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Bet you have experienced some good fishing in your travels. I am not as traveled as you are but have definitely stubbled on a few amazing fisheries. Some were on remote hunts in northern BC and others that were just overlooked

In my opinion you can find great fishing everywhere but some places you definitely need to look harder
Yes I've been quite fortunate I'd have to say the tree River Char was quite the experience spent the summer up there.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:41 AM

The big difference I see in this season is there are three 13 hour fishing periods over a few weeks, not 39 hours continuously. I believe that’s what gave the Konrads the opportunity to fly somewhere for one of the periods. It would be too risky otherwise. Bad weather socks you in and it’s done.

I suspect they moved it to this format as driving all over while that sleep deprived would have been dangerous, but it does reduce the excitement and urgency of the tournament a bit.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-10-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The big difference I see in this season is there are three 13 hour fishing periods over a few weeks, not 39 hours continuously. I believe that’s what gave the Konrads the opportunity to fly somewhere for one of the periods. It would be too risky otherwise. Bad weather socks you in and it’s done.

I suspect they moved it to this format as driving all over while that sleep deprived would have been dangerous, but it does reduce the excitement and urgency of the tournament a bit.

SS
I believe it's over 3 days, but not a few weeks. It'll be 3 days with some sleep thrown in the mix, for everyone's safety.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Great series so far! I think all teams involved have the same opportunity as the brothers (fly in lodge) if they choose to do so. With that being said, you could also argue the advantage these other guys have over the brothers with time spent on the water.... the Conrad’s aren’t actual professional’s are they..? I’m looking forward to them hitting Dief. again for trout and Walleye. My vote is the Geeks again!!
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
Great series so far! I think all teams involved have the same opportunity as the brothers (fly in lodge) if they choose to do so. With that being said, you could also argue the advantage these other guys have over the brothers with time spent on the water.... the Conrad’s aren’t actual professional’s are they..? I’m looking forward to them hitting Dief. again for trout and Walleye. My vote is the Geeks again!!
They are all Pro/guide except Alex peric, jay siemans and Aaron weibe are youtube fisherman. (I still consider some youtube fisherman pros)

Adam Konrad is a guide in Sask.

https://fishinggeeks.net/

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 PM

and Aaron and Jay are both FORMER guides (Jay at Wollaston in Sask, where he met/guided with Clayton Schick...and Aaron up in Northern Manitoba...I believe at Kississing Lake Lodge...)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
and Aaron and Jay are both FORMER guides (Jay at Wollaston in Sask, where he met/guided with Clayton Schick...and Aaron up in Northern Manitoba...I believe at Kississing Lake Lodge...)
I suppose Alex peric is the underdog in this then haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-10-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I suppose Alex peric is the underdog in this then haha
If he wasn't with Haatja, he DEFINITELY would be. Outside of bass fishing, he's by far the least experienced fisherman in this competition.