Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 12:04 AM

Default Tajik Hunt

My son and I just got back from tajikistan a couple weeks ago. This has been a dream hunt of mine for years and finally it has come true but with my son along side it was even better. I took a 12yr old Marcopolo ram of my dreams along with an 11yr old Ibex, while my son Quinn took a 9 yr old ibex at the eld of the hunt.
Over the years I have heard so many horror stories about these hunts but honestly this adventure went so well I don't have one complaint. It was awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibex2.jpg (87.4 KB, 746 views)
File Type: jpg Ibex3.jpg (81.7 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg ram2.jpg (70.9 KB, 799 views)
Old 12-27-2019, 12:56 AM

Congrats!!!

Beautiful pics!!!
Old 12-27-2019, 05:43 AM

Great Job on your hunt!
Those animals have to be tough as nails to survive that hostile area and still be big bodied.
show us the mounts when there done
Old 12-27-2019, 06:11 AM

Very nice !!!!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:21 AM

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. Would be great to read the full story on the hunt.Hint,hint.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2019, 07:51 AM

Dream hunt, very nice mountain species. What time of the year did this hunt take place?
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
My son and I just got back from tajikistan a couple weeks ago. This has been a dream hunt of mine for years and finally it has come true but with my son along side it was even better. I took a 12yr old Marcopolo ram of my dreams along with an 11yr old Ibex, while my son Quinn took a 9 yr old ibex at the eld of the hunt.
Over the years I have heard so many horror stories about these hunts but honestly this adventure went so well I don't have one complaint. It was awesome.
Congratulations, looks and sounds like an amazing hunt.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 AM

Awesome Congrats
Old 12-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Pure awesomeness!!! Amazing animals and scenery!! Thanks for sharing!! So great to do this with your son!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-27-2019, 09:07 AM

Outstanding. The Ibex hunt is a dream adventure for me.

Please let us know the booking agent and outfitter you used?

Did you go with horses?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Green!

As in, Green with envy!
Give us all the details of the hunt. Rifle (your own, rented, caliber, etc.)
Outfitter, connections, side-trips, etc. I'd love to hear more.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Wow, gorgeous animals!
Details Man , we need details!
Cat
Old 12-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Congrats, beautiful animals.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Dream hunt, very nice mountain species. What time of the year did this hunt take place?
We were there first 10 days of Dec.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
Outstanding. The Ibex hunt is a dream adventure for me.

Please let us know the booking agent and outfitter you used?

Did you go with horses?
I booked the hunt through Mike Monnin of Captivatem Outdoors but hunted with Asif Aliosof with Global Safaris. We were at the camp they call Murgab camp. There were two other hunters from the US and they both shot nice rams and Ibex.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Details

Oh boy, I could go on for hours. We flew edmonton-toronto-istanbul-dushanbe and that took about 28hrs with layovers. From Dushanbe we got in a land rover and drove along the Afganistan border about 12hrs to the town of Corog? for the first good horizontal sleep in a few days. The next morning we took off again for the final 7hr leg to base camp at 13500ft and about 100miles from the China border where we just took it easy and shot rifles for the rest of the day.

I took my own rifle as there is typically some long shooting so I wanted something I was comfortable with. I was happy with how my Kimber 8400 in 7mm mag was shooting 168 bergers this summer so that's what I took. I was shooting out to 800yrds but sure hoped I didnt have to shoot that far.

First morning we saw a couple small bands of rams but nothing to get excited about. Having never set eyes on a real Marco in my life I wanted to see a few to get a judge for size. Later in the morning we saw a group of 3 rams feeding up a drainage about a mile away and they hadnt seen us yet so I set up the spotter and the one looked pretty decent so I wanted a closer look. We dropped out of site and drove up the valley to the next drainage, from there we hiked up the ridge to pop over above where the rams were. Just before we got to the planned vantage point they came over the ridge about 200 yards away. They spooked and by the time i identified the ram as a shooter, got my bipod out, bullet in, range, they were at about 325 yards. I hit him solid behind the front shoulder but he still sucked it up and ran around the mountain out of site while the other rams bolted the opposite direction. It took a good 10 min to get around to where he went out of site and that sucker was still standing with his head up so I finished him at about 60 yards. They are tough and have lungs the size of pillow cases.

My Ibex was a bit of a rodeo but it ended well. We spotted the group far off and there looked to be a good billy in the bunch so we planned a stalk but there wasnt much cover. We got to about 800yrds and they started going up. I felt real solid so I figured I had nothing to lose so I would try and send one. Well I hit him but not well, so he bedded on a rock outcropping at about 1200yrds watching us. With no hidden approach we just watched him til dark. Next morning we got to our vantage point to find him on his feet watching us again so we went straight for him but about half way there he bailed over to the next drainage. We dropped back down to try and get a visual on him but couldn't find him, so we took a guess of whereabouts he was bedded and started the hike from hell. 4hrs later we were close but couldn't pick him out of the rocks so I ripped a shot into the cliffs to try and get him to present himself. It took about 10 minutes but we finally spotted him and I was able to finish him at about 350yrds. We brought him about half way down before it got dark and got back to camp at about 10:00 that evening. I didn't have an altimeter but I estimate we were at about 17000ft.

The next day we cruised around spotting groups of Ibex in hopes to find a good one for Quinn, and sure enough we spotted a bedded group with a couple good ones. We planned the stock and got to 438yrds without them knowing. Quinn missed the easy shot but they had no idea where the shots were coming from so naturally they just started going up and a couple rounds later he dropped his billy with a spine shot.

We did see a wolf but couldn't get a shot and one of the other hunters saw a snow leopard and got good pics and video of it. We basically spotted all the game from the truck and planned a stalk from there. The country is just way to big to travel it any other way and the elevation takes alot out of you. We were taking diamox for elevation sickness and at the start ibuprofen steady to curve the headaches. After about day 4 we were adjusting well.

Last couple days we just hung out and looked for wolves, shot rabbits, and took pictures. Camp was warm and comfy with a cooks, skinners, and a doctor on staff. We ate goat, rabbit, yak, marco, and horse meat(which was quite good) and lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

This is the first year they started registering and plugging sheep so I wasn't able to bring the trophies home with me as there wasn't enough time to get it done. I am expecting to see the cities permit and vet certificate emailed to me today and hopefully have the horns in my hands soon.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Thanks for taking the time.Appreciate the details

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2019, 01:11 PM

Thank you for the pics and great write up. What an amazing adventure to share with your son.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Banned

What an adventure!
Congrats chris
Old 12-28-2019, 10:12 AM

That is outstanding. Thanks for sharing the details. It certainly wasn’t a cakewalk.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:53 PM

Congrats!!
Looks like it was well worth the outcome, lots of hard work !
Nicely done!!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:09 AM

WOW! Great animals.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:45 PM

A dream hunt for sure. Congrats to you and your son.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:22 PM

What's been said already, stunning scenery, great looking animals and congrats....thanks for the write up, pics and details.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Looks and sounds like an awesome hunt! Looking forward to hearing about it in person in a few weeks....
Old 01-07-2020, 09:07 AM

Incredible narrative and photos. 17,000 ft is nuts. I got dizzy and slightly disoriented while touring the summit of the Mauna Kea Volcano at 14,000 ft. Lifetime memories for you and your son. Congrats...sk
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM

Great post thanks and congrats

Alba gu brath!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 AM

WOW man just WOW! Dream of a lifetime.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM

thanks for posting this amazing adventure. Ballpark figure on costs if possible? also , any other pics to keep us dreaming? sweet share.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:12 AM

Congrats on a beauty ram and a couple nice goats!

What sort of daily high and low temperatures were you guys getting?
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky