Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 PM

If it ain't working now to keep everybody sort of happy and be fair then something should be done.....
Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
If it ain't working now to keep everybody sort of happy and be fair then something should be done.....
As it sits now primitive weapons guys(excluding the bow fellas) are just not getting treated fairly,something even bow guys cannot argue!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
make no mistake, if you go hunting with a crossbow and actually want to kill something.....you will be bowhunting, in every way
The Pope and Young club might have something to say about that.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
As it sits now primitive weapons guys(excluding the bow fellas) are just not getting treated fairly,something even bow guys cannot argue!
How about this:

season 1 traditional bows only,no sights or releases,wooden arrows only

season 2 compound bows allowed,releases allowed

season 3 traditional crossbows only,no compounds,no scopes

season 4 compound crossbows,scopes allowed

season 5 traditional muzzleloaders only,no scopes,no sabots

season 6 modern muzzleloaders scopes and sabots allowed

season 7 shotguns,no scopes or sabots allowed

season 8 shotguns,scopes and sabots allowed

season 9 centerfire rifles,no scopes allowed,muzzle velocities 2500fps or less

season 10 centerfire rifles,scopes allowed,any legal cartridge allowed

Each season will be one week in duration,and there will be a draw for each season.

That pretty much gives everyone equal opportunity,so everyone complaining about not getting equal opportunity should be satisfied.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:55 PM

The hunting shops will love that!
LOL
May be too complicated for government to work...
I like the bow/primitive/general idea better.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM

You better break your rifle seasons down by action type, caliber, barrel length too. We don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage over the other. (how PC of me.)

Hmmm we just might arrive at year round hunting if we have enough variety in the gun safe.

Or we could just level the playing field and share the game; how about just one hunting season that begins at the start of bow season and ends at the end of rifle season. Any weapon platform would be allowed....we could call it hunting season.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
You better break your rifle seasons down by action type, caliber, barrel length too. We don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage over the other. (how PC of me.)

Hmmm we just might arrive at year round hunting if we have enough variety in the gun safe.

Or we could just level the playing field and share the game; how about just one hunting season that begins at the start of bow season and ends at the end of rifle season. Any weapon platform would be allowed....we could call it hunting season.
To be fair Uglyelk, they would have to open the parks up to. Otherwise you would have to drive away from your backyard to go hunting.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
To be fair Uglyelk, they would have to open the parks up to. Otherwise you would have to drive away from your backyard to go hunting.
Or they could just let me shoot in the city,so I can shoot a deer out of my front doorway.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7ELK View Post
Hey I'd be happy not to drive those extra hours. Buffalo hunting!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Or carve a couple of weeks out of November for cross bow hunting only. How many on here would vote for that?
I hope readers of the above post realize that I was making a facetious comment. That is the last thing we'd want.
On a serious note, we rifle hunters in Alberta are extremely fortunate to be able to hunt the entire month of November every year which is absolutely the best time of year, for deer at least. In many jurisdictions, rifle hunters don't get to do this. (I also enjoy hunting with my compound bow during the archery only season but on November 1 I put it away and pick up a rifle.) It seems to me that if we mess too much with special seasons for cross bows, muzzle loaders etc. we run the risk of having to give up part of November for rifle hunting. As the saying goes; "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it"
If you're a rifle hunter looking to extend your season (assuming of course you're not disabled and therefore able to take advantage of the entirely appropriate special exception for disabled hunters) why not just buy a vertical bow, spend a little time learning to use it and take advantage of the regular archery season. I think you'll find it's fun. I did.
Oh yes, and vote NO to that question on SRD's survey.

Last edited by 270WIN; 12-18-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
season 5 traditional muzzleloaders only,no scopes,no sabots

season 9 centerfire rifles,no scopes allowed,muzzle velocities 2500fps or less

That pretty much gives everyone equal opportunity,so everyone complaining about not getting equal opportunity should be satisfied.
Hell NO!! I want in on season five with my single shot center fire! It doesn't have a scope on it! Gotta reload after one shot! It's the SAME.... only different....totally unfair!! You bastards...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Where does it end?
The Crossbow is wanted to be in archery, then muzzle loaders, then shotguns, and so on.
look at what is available now in a muzzle loader, They fire modern smokeless powder just like my 30-06 does.only more of it!!. they hit like a 338 Mag, but someone that wants to push the rules and spirit of the rules says, it is a muzzle loader. http://www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com/ Is the "Bad Bull" realy what a primitive muzzle loader season is about?
Heck If I can't man handle the crossbow lets change the laws to allow a gun that shoots arrows? http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm
It is available! It shoots an arrow.
Where does it stop? This is just people wanting to find a way to cheat the system & take the easy road.

AIRROW MODEL A 7722
Length - with 16" barrel - 38.75"
Weight - w/o Rings or Scope - 4.7 lbs.
Sights - rings furnished
Stock - walnut, rubber recoil pad
Power - Airrow .22 LR BlankProjectile - 2512 / 16" arrowPerformance - to 435 FPS w/2512 AIRROW

MODEL A 1022
Length - with 16" barrel - 38.0"
Weight - 4.4 lbs.
Sights - none furnished
Stock - walnut, rubber recoil pad
Power - Airrow .22 LR Blank
Projectile - 2512 / 16" arrow
Performance - to 435 FPS w/2512 AIRROW MODEL A 7001
Length - with 16" barrel - 43.0"
Weight - w/o Rings or Scope - 7.4 lbs.
Sights - rings and bases furnished
Stock - composite, rubber recoil pad
Power - Airrow .223 BlankProjectile - 2512 / 16" arrow
Performance - to 500 FPS w/2512

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AIRROW MODEL A-8S1P STEALTH
Length with - (16" Barrel) 30.125" Overall
Weight without - (Scope and Rings) - 3.5 lbs.
Barrel Length - 16" (2512) Optional 10.75" Available
Sights - Scope Rings Included
Trigger - Pneumatic Air Trigger (Adjustable)
Power - CO2 or Compressed Air to 2,000 PSIGMuzzle Energy - to 200 ft. lbs.
Performance with - (2512/16" Arrow) - 600 FPSOptional Performance Regulator (Adjustable 800-1500 PSIG)

Because it shoots an arrow doesn't make it archery.
Get a "real bow" and enjoy the liberal seasons we have.
Pete

Last edited by petew; 12-18-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM

I will vote NO.

I hunt with archery tackle, centrefire rifle and I own a ML. If they are going to let crossbows into the general archery season then I would say ok but take the scope off and use the iron sights, dumb it down a little IMO. Same thing for ML, their original intent IMO was not to shoot 300+ yards or further in the hands of a capable few. Many States have season for ML that restrict the use of a scope. At least in my opinion if you put resrtrictions on what you can do with them, there may not be the onslaught many fear if expanded seasons do go through.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
I admit that poachers can use all kinds of weapons to take animals. As a matter of fact I just received a private message that explained how easy it was to shoot a compound bow from a open truck door. I had never considered that. This summer/fall had an unusually high number of poaching incidents in and around Victoria B.C. residential neighborhoods with poachers utilizing cross bows. I just would not want to see that occuring in Alberta as a result of legalized cross bow hunting in the Bow Zones! Right now if you were pulled over in the bow zone and you were packing a cross bow there would be some questions asked. Once legalized I would be concerned that the temptation would be too great for some. Am I wrong in thinking that a cross bow could be a deadly poaching tool? They were the weapon of choice for poachers on Vancouver Island this fall. Please believe me that I am not trying to paint all cross bow users as criminals - just concerned that the apparatus might be used the wrong way. I support all ethical hunting and all ethical hunters regardless of their style of hunting.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM

For all you folks who think hunting with a crossBOW is sooooooooo easy, check out this thread on the Ontario Hunting Lodge site: http://ontariohunter.proboards.com/i...y&thread=25647

Oh, since I'm one of those "other" guys, I'm going to vote YES if I get one of those surveys!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM

I will have to disagree ith hunting with crossbows during the archery season..though i do think they have a place during their own season or during the archey season when the person using them has a physical disability like being in a wheelchair or something like that even thoughthere is no way to regulate this.

I hunt with a traditional bow and dont shoot that many animals very often( havent shot one with my recurve yet) and would hate to see the tags turn into draws because of the succes rate increasing.

Anyways if i get one of the surveys i will be voting NO
Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM

I also had a very interesting conversation today about how the length of an arrow (for archery) as per the regulations had to be 24 inches long so if the shot is poor the arrow can be removed while the animal is running. with the length of average crossbow bolts being 14-16 inches, if the bolt does not pass all the way through in the case of a gut shot that is not mortally wounding you now have an animal running around with a bolt in it suffering until it dies of starvation or something.

Also bowhunting is supposed to be a challenge of getting close to an animal (no matter what the species) and harvesting it. I just dont see how being 100+ yards from an animal and shooting it with a crossbow is archery o is even close to the same objective.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Lotta deer out there.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Lotta deer out there.
Your Point
Old 12-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just be aware ,that if more seasons result in an increased harvest,there will be more draw seasons implemented,and the tag numbers for existing draw seasons might be reduced.There may be more seasons,but you might not be able to spend more time hunting ,because you may not draw a tag.In fact,if the archery general season becomes a draw,it might actually reduce your hunting opportunity.
very true, but if only the existing draw tags and general tags that are valid in the general season in each specific zone are allowed, will succes rates go up by much? they will slightly for sure, but not enough to make a significant difference IMO. But if it does add a year to the draw for certain tags, so be it. I believe with the introduction of crossbows to the archery season will result in antlered mule deer eventually being a 2 or 3 yr draw for archery and 5-10 for rifle. nobody wants that. we are walking a very fine line here, and once changes are made, they will be difficult to reverse if the effects are negative. and the fact by the time the govt implements draw, the trophy bucks will be shot to chit anyways, and it may take 5 or more years to get booners again. dont get me wrong there will always be big bucks, but i fear that it may destroy the gene pool of certain more accesable areas. JMO
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimanyletters View Post
Also bowhunting is supposed to be a challenge of getting close to an animal (no matter what the species) and harvesting it. I just dont see how being 100+ yards from an animal and shooting it with a crossbow is archery o is even close to the same objective.
100 yds + with a crossbow? I'll rate that right up there with road hunting with a crossbow and a crossbow being the same as hunting with a 300 win mag! Absolutely ridiculous!

That's one of the problems right there. Allot of people have absolutely no idea about crossbows other than their design.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-18-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=A7ELK;768243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I already hunt with a crossbow and I voted YES so that other people can enjoy the sport.QUOTE]

What OTHER people
again
Old 12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

Again what? What other people can enjoy the sport? How about kids that aren't strong enough to pull back a legal bow or older folk that have lost the muscle tone to hold a draw (you might be in that boat one day). That's a couple off of the top of my head.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Again what? What other people can enjoy the sport? How about kids that aren't strong enough to pull back a legal bow or older folk that have lost the muscle tone to hold a draw (you might be in that boat one day). That's a couple off of the top of my head.
Like someone said earlier, 99% of 12 year olds can pull 40 lbs and hold 85% at full draw. If they can't, maybe they should wait until they can.
For the older people that can't, all they need is a Dr. to say they are handicapped enough to need to use an xbow.
I have shot archery for years, you have to be mighty weak or injured badly to not be able to pull a 40 lb bow.

Last edited by A7ELK; 12-19-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Ya it's like your 12 year old wanting to drive, or when the government takes your grandparents drivers license away. When does it become part of life??...to harsh? There is a Provision already in place for people with disabilities, and it works great.

Last edited by pottymouth; 12-19-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7ELK View Post
Like someone said earlie, 99% of 12 year olds can pull 40 lbs and hold 85% at full draw. If they can't, maybe they should wait until they can.
For the older people that can't, all they need is a Dr. to say they are handicapped enough to need to use an xbow.
I have shot archery for years, you have to be mighty weak or injured badly to not be able to pull a 40 lb bow.
Well I'm glad that someone stated that 99% of 12 year olds can pull 40 lbs and hold 85% draw. Because if they wrote it on this website then it's it's gotta be scientifically absolute.

For older people, I'm not sure if decrepit falls under the handicapped territory.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
People with disabilities will still have extra oppoturnity and standards deserve to lowered for them, and that reason.
No understando.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Well I'm glad that someone stated that 99% of 12 year olds can pull 40 lbs and hold 85% draw. Because if they wrote it on this website then it's it's gotta be scientifically absolute.

For older people, I'm not sure if decrepit falls under the handicapped territory.
Funny guy
Even if it is 75% of 12 year olds, so be it.
Maybe bow hunters shouldn`t have an age limit. Maybe the rules should be: you have to have the ability to pull 50 lbs before you can bow hunt.
Decrepit people should NOT be hunting.
There does come a time when you have to say enough is enough. Drs. taking drivers lcences away is a good example.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
No understando.
edit*
Old 12-19-2010, 12:41 AM

Hey Hunter dave, Whats so ridiculus about either one of these statments that you said.
I'll rate that right up there with road hunting with a crossbow and a crossbow being the same as hunting with a 300 win mag! Absolutely ridiculous!

You dont think people will or already do hunt from the road with a cross-bow, And the 300 win mag statement is mine & if you go back and look at the post and what it relates too you might not think its so ridiculus eh dave. Wake up and smell the coffee. Do you think for one min that know one will be shooting there cross bow from the road. Think again buddy!!!