Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Goose Blinds

Good morning all.

I know goose season is still a little ways off, but getting anxious and just going through my gear getting ready. Used haybale/sitting blinds last year, not much for layout though. Seemed to work pretty good, much more comfy than layout. I know some guys will only use layouts. Just curious on what you use and why. (is it September yet? )
Old 07-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Good morning all.

I know goose season is still a little ways off, but getting anxious and just going through my gear getting ready. Used haybale/sitting blinds last year, not much for layout though. Seemed to work pretty good, much more comfy than layout. I know some guys will only use layouts. Just curious on what you use and why. (is it September yet? )
I tend to use layout blinds when snow goose hunting and in a field that has possible cover like corn, wheat, and barley. Willow blinds work great in any of those and better in pea fields since it's quite hard to cover in a layout in a pea field without digging yourself in. It's somewhat personal preference but both will work great with the right application. And to be honest, if you don't try it out, you won't know.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:24 PM

We are going to try something a bit different. Our plan is to set up Snow flyers and lay underneath them. The flyer decs attach to the lay down backrest and obscure the head and shoulders. The challenge will be a set that draws the darks within range. Missed too many shoots in the pea field to not give it a try. The Mallards don’t have any problems joining the snows, so a sprinkle of duck decs should add action. Tried coffin blinds last year. By the time you camouflage them, you could do without.

Last edited by MyAlberta; 07-13-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

I tried the layouts for a few years but have been using willow blinds again for the past 5 years or so. Lots of pocket bush in our area so willows are very natural here. Much more comfortable (gimp knee), visibility much better and shooting behind the blind when necessary is also very easy.

Once geese are coming in on many occasions you can get a shot or two away before even standing up so a lot less flaring when your about to shoot. Lots of flaring when shooting layouts.

My willow blind holds three adults comfortably and have an "L" extension that fits on each end if we are hunting 4-5 which is a lot of times.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
We are going to try something a bit different. Our plan is to set up Snow flyers and lay underneath them. The flyer decs attach to the lay down backrest and obscure the head and shoulders. The challenge will be a set that draws the darks within range. Missed too many shoots in the pea field to not give it a try. The Mallards don’t have any problems joining the snows, so a sprinkle of duck decs should add action. Tried coffin blinds last year. By the time you camouflage them, you could do without.
So snow flyers are motion decoys which means they attract the attention of every bird coming in to your decoys.... don't you think drawing attention to the spot your sitting isn't the best idea perhaps?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:14 AM

I didn't use layouts until about 10 years ago , always used willow blinds or permanent blinds on water spreads .
Going back to portable willow blinds .
Easier to move around in once a guy gets older and far easier in my neck because of my limited mobility.
Cat
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I didn't use layouts until about 10 years ago , always used willow blinds or permanent blinds on water spreads .
Going back to portable willow blinds .
Easier to move around in once a guy gets older and far easier in my neck because of my limited mobility.
Cat
Agreed on the portability, my haybale blind is a backpack, and 30 seconds to pop up. Just for two bodies, but quick and light. A little native vegetation tucked in and done.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Pixel and I are welding up some 1" metal frame willow blinds where the entire front will drop down. I am not the most mobile of guys to begin with, but popping up out of a layout can be challenging at times to say the least, and have degenerative disc disease to begin with. One hunt last year, every time I would go to pop up and shoot, my calf would cramp. I just ended up laying on my back and shooting straight up overhead. LOL. I thought to myself there has just got to be a better way than this!
Old 07-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
So snow flyers are motion decoys which means they attract the attention of every bird coming in to your decoys.... don't you think drawing attention to the spot your sitting isn't the best idea perhaps?
Hoping that the motion will break up our outlines. We may be running for cover.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Hoping that the motion will break up our outlines. We may be running for cover.
We used to hide under white bed sheets with great success for snows in the past and you can sit off to the side of your flyers. The landing zone should be where your flyers are at and where you want the birds to be. Side shoot them and lay under a white bed sheet works or get some painters outfits
Old 07-14-2018, 04:14 PM

justfishin73; I started using willow blind in 1968 or so at Consort, 4 fellows from Minnesota?? were using them, we laffed and laffed. But after we saw how they worked, that was the last pit I dug, and they had the last laff.

They do work when they work, which is most of time, if you are quiet, smallish etc.. I do shoot way better out of them as other have stated.

The last few years tho I have used layouts and like some of the previous posts now that I can't move etc. I'm going back to willows. That's said I had a sort a rule of thumb, because there are fewer willows left with leaves after Thanksgiving I don't hunt out of willows much after that.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Willow blinds

After trying waterfowl over decoys for the first time just last year , I’m hooked!! I’ve also noticed that, over time, I’ve really lost my knack for doing sit-ups/ sitting up in a coffin blind😂! So I’m also going to try out a willow blind this year. Any design tips for a frame would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Willow blinds all the way I made one last year from some scrap tubing I had around my yard. I purchased the Fred Zink stand up blind for this year that thing is sick can’t wait to try it out this season.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
After trying waterfowl over decoys for the first time just last year , I’m hooked!! I’ve also noticed that, over time, I’ve really lost my knack for doing sit-ups/ sitting up in a coffin blind😂! So I’m also going to try out a willow blind this year. Any design tips for a frame would be appreciated.
This one is six feet long lots of room for 3-4 adults. I have added a couple of hinged "L" shaped extensions for each end that allow for one more hunter on each end. The blind now has a soft page wire (about 3-4" square) on it which allows you to weave the willows through the wire fairly easy. The wire on the back is fixed the wire on the front rolls out and is then attached to the frame (keeps the leaves on longer).

I now have foam on the seat and and a piece of eaves trough nailed on the front high rail for coffee, ammo, calls etc. Lots of room under the bench for blind bags, coats etc. I have also cut about 30 small 1"x12" pieces of black poly all around the base to stick willows in. I still weave them through the wire but stay more secure with the butts in the pipe. Made a few changes and additions over the years but pretty well have it the way I want it now.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Sometimes I use layouts and sometimes I use stand ups. Totally depends on the situation. I prefer layouts. If you have mobility issues though I understand why a standup works.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 PM

Grew up shooting geese along the Saskatchewan Alberta border. We use to wear white coveralls and sit on white lawn chairs set up in the decoys. Shot lots of whites and blacks.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Pixel and I are welding up some 1" metal frame willow blinds where the entire front will drop down. I am not the most mobile of guys to begin with, but popping up out of a layout can be challenging at times to say the least, and have degenerative disc disease to begin with. One hunt last year, every time I would go to pop up and shoot, my calf would cramp. I just ended up laying on my back and shooting straight up overhead. LOL. I thought to myself there has just got to be a better way than this!
It’s built now Pixel is just going to to put his finishing touches on it! Can’t wait to see it in action.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Willow blinds all the way I made one last year from some scrap tubing I had around my yard. I purchased the Fred Zink stand up blind for this year that thing is sick can’t wait to try it out this season.
That Zink blind is nice, but $600---doesn't look too portable either--good if can leave in place
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM

We Are still mobile enough to shoot out of layouts and have amazing success with it. I use a Cabela's mobile 1 blind that is quite low to the ground which is great for flat bald pea fields. With carefull placement of the taller decoys we can pretty much disappear as long as we do a good job brushing in. In snow goose spreads we have tall stake tanglefree decoys that we hide under in white painter suits.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs

Last edited by tikka250; 07-16-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 AM

We've always just used willow blinds. Hammer and a piece of steel pipe to make holes and then stand up 6' foot pieces of trimmed willow. For those that are less mobile it's the easiest set up. Nice being able to sit on a chair/on a pail. Can't wait for Sept 1st!

Last edited by JoshT; 07-17-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am looking forward to trying the willow blinds. Then we will see how effective they are compared to layout blinds, especially for late season birds that have been shot at.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM

I have one with a dog door in front. very portable and quick to set up.