Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Antlered Moose WMU 503 general inquiries

I drew late season (Nov 1-30) bull moose in the 503.

Now, I was not expecting to draw such a tag (moose) so early into my hunting years. This will be my 4th year hunting and I have only been putting draws in for 2 years. This being said I am still just barely learning the draw system never mind the hunting system.
Anyways, I have sufficient experience outdoors as grew up partaking actively the outdoors and backcountry. And have so far been blessed with success each year I have so far hunted and have successfully been able to fill the freezer and even a wall mounted whitetale.

So my inquiry into the 503 is specifically bull moose, and hunter landowner relationships.
I in my lack of experience with the draw system out in for the 503 which is a zone 8 hours away.
That being said I decided to put in there as that is where my father has lived for the last 15 years. So I have been to the area ample times, and have spent a decent amount of time in the area and have myself seen what appears to be healthy game populations as well as a family home there for stopping grounds if and when needed.

Yet as I do not live in the area myself, and that vast majority of the wmu is private with little lease land and little crown land, I obviously have not had the opportunity to establish relationships myself with any landowners.
So my question is (as so far I have read negative reviews on the area with hunter landowner relationships) how is the landowner disposition towards hunters, specifically late season bull moose hunters? I don’t mind putting in the leg work and even allotting an extra week if need be to help secure permission where needed, and my father has said he and his wife who grew up there will be asking around for me as well.

Would the area be best hunted focusing on the private or should my focus be in the green? I’m concerned the small blocks of crown might be busy due to the whitetale season in the crown.
Anyone have experience if the area and specifically the crown sections in the 503 get swamped in the late season? And where should one focus his energy trying to find these late season bulls in the zone? North,south, etc?
Certainly NOT looking for spots. Just looking for general direction.

Secondly, what should I guy expect for the hows of hunting the area. I do not currently own a quad, and I’m wondering if in such a zone this would be a huge negative for hunting the area, but I also am concerned weather dependant on wether a quad can get through allot of the area if not frozen solid.
I have no issues with putting 20+km a day on the boots, that I can do, but am also concerned about the retrieval of a bull deep in the bush by foot alone. However being late season I expect the temperatures should be in my favour for having the time needed for retrieval.

Have a nice hunting rig. But can also stay at my dads place and take a different vehicle up as well. Have a good 4x4, winch, tire chains, and a good old hard sided pop up camper in the back I rebuilt. Warm, and goes anywhere the truck would go without it in the box.
So I can camp in the bush someplace and hunt on foot, or move locations by truck, or stay at my dads and hunt and just head out from there each morning.

Thirdly, as I am relatively new to hunting, and again was not expecting to draw a moose tag so early, I have allot of research to do on moose hunting between now and then. Anyone have any pointers or information on what would be the best tactics (for the area) when it comes to these late season bulls? I have heard incredibly hard to find, but relatively simple to hunt if you do find them, as they are I bachelor groups and not doing much moving around and staying relatively close to where you have found them...additionally I will be coupling the moose hunt with general whitetale since I’m hunting anyways and have heard and seen myself some nice bucks up in that area... but whitetale will be secondary, happenstance, and not the purpose or priority.

Anyways, sorry for the length of post. I welcome all and any information, criticism, guidance or advice on the area and the game in the area.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Pack a few sets of good knives one tip I’ll give them moose seem to dull blades quick
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Will be sure to pack a few blades for sure then.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM

When it comes to hunting moose. If you do not have an Atv do not go walking and looking for them .Just shooting one 200 yards from your truck can take all day to get him in your truck.
Two guys can hardly carry a 1/4 moose 50 yards.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM

My initial thought was pack it out. As many trip as would be needed. Figured the temps in November in central east Alberta would or should allow for the time needed to make the multiple trips in and out. Back braking work doesn’t scare me. However now you got me thinking about how sizeable a venture that could be.
Would I be insane to even continue to consider packing a moose out? I’m sure some get them that way no?

I can get access to a quad no problem when I’m up there for retrieval if need be. Father has. And I’m sure I could even find a few helping hands as well if I was to successfully find and kill one. Mah also have a buddy join me on the hunt who has a side x side.
Maybe it’s the year to get into atv... been wanting one but with all the closures going on in my area wasn’t sure if t was going to be worth the investment.

But thanks for the info. Really got me thinking and remembering just how sizeable these animals are and it’s nktblike going to be harvesting a deer...

Thsbsk
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Couple of thoughts.....

I've hunted 503 exclusively for the past 5 years or so. Moose aren't particularly plentiful but they are there. I decided to get into bow hunting to take advantage of the rut. After about three years of practice and striking out I connected on my first bow kill two years ago in early October.

I only spend time in a small portion of the area but based on my observations November hunting is gonna be dicey. I put lots of miles on from July to November and barely see a moose outside of the rut. It's like someone throws a switch in late September and turns it off again in mid October. I've spent a full week walking and quadding during peak whitetail season in November and not see a moose track from start to finish. Wherever they go I've not been able to find them.....yet!

Now I'm not trying to discourage you. Quite the contrary. It's a great area with tons of crown land, especially in the north. I find that a large proportion of hunters tend to stay fairly close to highways and the better resource roads. If you can find a way to get back in the bush a bit you can find some real gems that are barely looked at by locals. Sometimes all you need to do is walk 10 minutes into a cut line and you have the place to yourself.

As for landowners, I cant help much because I've never tried to get permission. I've been told that people with my particular accent (moved from Newfoundland 13 years ago) aren't received favorably by the farmers in the area. Based on the stories I've heard I dont blame them. Some of my compatriots from back east seem to have wrecked it for the rest of us. I'm not someone who likes bugging people at the best of times so I stick to crown land. If your dad has some connections though you should definitely take advantage.

When I started I googled earthed the crap out of the area and found some points of interest to key in on. Then using the iHunter app I cross referenced with the landowner info and public leases. Lots of good spots for sure. Just need to do a bit of homework. Pay special attention to the leases. Many dont require contact but easy access is only available through the leasors property. If you can find an alternate access point they can be excellent spots.

Just in case you hadn't realised it though, you dont have a late season tag. The tag is good for all season. Just cant rifle hunt till November. My Uncle drew the same tag so we will be out again in bow season. If you are capable with a bow I highly recommend it. I'm always walking around 503 in early October and over the past 4 or 5 years you can count the number of other hunters I've see on one hand. Unfortunately the moose aren't much more plentiful. LOL

Best of luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info.

I know my tag is good for the archery season as well, but I only took up archery this spring. I thought about it, but I don’t feel comfortable trying to harvest a moose on what would be my first bow hunt and harvest. Just not there yet and if I’m not completely confident, so for the sake and well being of the animal, I will have to stick to rifle. Lol. Shame as hittin the rut would be nice.

I was able to find some old threads that said very similar to what you have said about the moose behaviour during that window of time. Of lack of behaviour. You’ve pretty well confirmed they for the most part just go missing for a period of time.. lol

Well I’m not sure how people feel about guys with your particular accent, but if it makes you feel better, my dad who is a hobbies photographer, sroooed in the side of the highway to take pictures of some deer he spotted in the field abjacent to the highway, and the hunter/landowner tried chasing him away yelling a cursing at him taking pictures of the deer in the guys field. Lol. And my dad has no accent...
It’s does seem hunting is taken incredibly serious there with game vrs land.

We’ll see wether some family connections in the area will help with permission or not but otherwise I will be focusing on the green.

I have already been starting to cross referencing iHunter/landownership with google earth. When I go up I know the on the map where I will want to try and focus efforts but we’ll see if the game and what actually happenes throws it all out the window. Lol.

But I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Info well taken. Thank you kindly!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 AM

If you are in good physical shape you can carry a moose out of bush, one quarter at a time. In the 60's and 70's we always threw 1/4 on back and walked before we had quads. However my father did not like it when I shoot moose more than 1 mile from road and he had to help carry it out.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM

My job description could pretty well be summed up as I carry heavy things. My job requires me to move around, carry up scaffolding and flights of stairs 100s to often 1000s of pounds most every day. Physically, I feel I would be capable of a pack out. But will really have to make sure where I ventured to before I take it on. I did had to pass on an animal last year solo hunting. Just wasn’t confident I could pack it all out in time where I was located before the meat started to spoil in the warmer temps we were having.
But if need be I feel confident I could pack one out. Good to know orhers have done just that. Make me feel much more confident it can be done. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
When it comes to hunting moose. If you do not have an Atv do not go walking and looking for them .Just shooting one 200 yards from your truck can take all day to get him in your truck.
I would dis agree. We shot a cow last year over 4km from the truck with no a atv access. There was four of us we had it all out in one trip. Just need the proper equipment. A pack frame is your best friend. I have packed A lot of elk and moose out a long ways adds to the hunt and is a story you can tell for ever.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Great to know others have done a pack out with moose. I agree it can be done. Feels like I could anticipate a great reward or accomplishment on a pack out and memories to boot. Those are the type of memories that would last... now if only I can also find 4 friends to help. That would be far more ideal... lol
Old 07-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonjames View Post
Great to know others have done a pack out with moose. I agree it can be done. Feels like I could anticipate a great reward or accomplishment on a pack out and memories to boot. Those are the type of memories that would last... now if only I can also find 4 friends to help. That would be far more ideal... lol
You can do it on your own as well just depends on how hard you want to work for it. IMO I find going way back and packing animals out really rewarding and part of the experience. But I can understand people that don’t want to do it. Not for every one.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:57 AM

I've hunted 503 my whole life, 14 years so far (Since i was 11, 25 now). Moose can be hard to find in November, they seem to stay in the bush & not farmers land from my personal experience (If the farm land backs onto the big bush they might be on the fringe of that. I hunt crown land pretty much exclusively.

This past season was my first time i hunted moose hard (hadn't shot one prior) Every moose i saw or stalked, all i did was drive around with my quad until i found fresh tracks & followed or drove until i saw one. I seen about 12-15 moose this season all of them were cows/calves except for the one bull i shot. I drove up on so many moose i would see one, turn off my atv, get off, load my gun & see if it was a bull or cow. All while the moose stands there 20-60 yards away, or find fresh tracks and stalk them which for a weird reason was a little more difficult getting close than an atv.

The bull i got i set out at sunrise quading with my buddy, each on our own quads, -25C out. Seeing moose tracks but not fresh enough for me to follow. Get about 2km back in the bush into a clearing i know. I'm looking at the ground, wow fresh moose tracks, looks up bull is standing 40 yards away. Both of us turn off our quads & get off, load my gun, it jams, fix the jam & get my scope on him, he has started to walk away towards the tree line, one shot i drop him on the spot.

My trail cams got other bulls but this was the only one i seen with my own eyes. Early morning and evening is when i saw a majority of my moose. I would not have been able to do the hunt without an atv. When it's -25C+ being 2-6 km one way from the truck with no cell reception can be dangerous. Atv is my lifeline. All i did was hook a strap around the antlers to lift the head off the ground and attached to my atv. Pulled him 2km no problem, 100x easily than trying to pull a moose in a sled behind the quad.

If you never shot a moose before or gutted one, it's different than a deer. They have one stomach but 4 parts to it. They are all filled with air like a balloon that is about to burst. You can nick it way easier if you're not careful. Cut the legs off at the knee's for easy dragging.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 AM

Congrats on the harvest. All the information is well noted and appreciated.

I have never been on a moose hunt before, nor have I field dressed any animal aside from deer. This was actually one of the most intimidating aspects of foreseeing the hunt. I know how large moose are, I see them all the time around here, but dropping one, and field dressing, quartering it out all alone with no prior experience of doing it on such a large animal, and in reality little experience with field dressing anyways. 3 deer is as much experience as I have. A moose would be daunting the first time alone. Would get it done but it would be a new venture. I will spend lots of time researching how to deal with the animal once it’s on the ground... but absolutely the most intimidating part of the hunt for me anyways...

I am going to looking into purchasing a quality used quad between now and then. New is comthing I can’t afford at the time, and possibly make hard to justify condisdering WMUs all around me are closing up large portions of trails in the backcountry, I really might not have anyplace to use it, or at lease use it outside of now designated trail riding that may not be of much bennifit to hunting... so I’m not sure if it’ll happen between now and then...

All that being said, so much great info in the area and the moose behaviour during that time so I thank everyone for taking the time to respond. It seems most of my concerns have been rectified.
I had a member who is local to the area message me giving me a bit of information on the area and what to expect like many others have been doing, but sure enough, turns out I have previously met this fellow and he knows quite well my family up there. It sounds as though we are going to tackle this moose tag together. I am so excited to go on this hunt as a shared hunt, as such a hunt being my first attempt as moose certainly was intimating knowing I’d probably have to go at it alone, and face some much larger challlanges then what I’ve experienced so far with deer hunting. He is an experienced hunter and an experienced moose hunter at that. It’ll be great to have his knowledge and experience of the game and area on such a hunt. Plus it will be nice knowing I won’t need to be going at it alone and will have a new found friend and hunting buddy to share the experience with. So wether the tag gets filled or not, new friendships can be formed and a new hunting buddy gained and we’re already discussing the possibility of him coming down my way for an elk or mule deer hunt and showing him around my part of the province.

So as it stands now, so many concerns and looming worries I had, have for the nost part completely been rectified by finding a partner to share the hunt alongside with. Now I can tackle this hunt confidently, knowing I have another there for some support and experienced guidance.

I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. And if anyone has any more info they like to share it’s all greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well first off your not going to hump 20 kilometers a day and do it repeatedly as this will eat your body up quickly especially when in hunt mode.
Get up to the area now, recce it out via google earth and with boots on ground.
Set up game cameras in moosey looking areas that you are going to target during the season. Talk to people who live in that area, might find a landowner who has issues with moose and will lead you to a great area.
Study and learn the gutless method of field preparing your kill.
Bulls are on their own usually that time of the season recovering from the rut so if you cut tracks the hunt begins.
The more you know of the area the better you will be at identifying new tracks from the night.
A few fillet knives will do the trick to aid in the deboning and gutless method. Get yourself a plastic calf sled to haul out meat.
I have taken a few moose on my own and it takes about 2-3 hrs depending where they fall and distance to a vehicle.
Carry a whitetail tag too....ya just never know if a rut crazed 180" buck shows up
Oh yeah and just don't get all wrapped up in the fact you may or may not get a moose....enjoy the outings.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM

My wife had a tag there last year(her second time drawing that particular tag), Bulls can be next to impossible to find. We see tons of cow/calf pairs but the bulls hang in the timber for the most part. We have exclusive access to a chunck of land (5000acres) that is mainly bush with scattered alfalfa plots throughout. Even that piece of land is tough to find bulls in. We get lots on our trailcams throughout September and October but they seem to move elsewhere in November. Permission in the other areas is like anywhere else, hit or miss. If I were you, I would be using that bow and heading up the last week of September. If nothing else, use it as a scouting mission with the purpose of obtaining permission. If the opportunity presents itself, why not try and call a bull into range? they have a large strike zone and as such are a great target for your first bow kill.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Maybe eat some Wheaties,lol.......I've humped moose quarters out on my shoulder 10x that distance between breaks while tripping over slash through a cutblock "back in the day",,,,admittedly though,I'm not as good as I once was.....nowadays as a 50yr old out of shape chain smoker I can only do 100m at a time.

Last edited by West O'5; 07-16-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Good thing about the late season is you will most likely have snow,and an ice fishing toboggan can easily handle a large deer or 1/4 moose and make life a lot easier on ya....even a 1/2 moose or more solo if you debone it and not too steep terrain.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Read up on moose habits and food sources for the POST RUT. They are a completely different beast once October is over. Basically, they hole up in the thickest willows they can find, and don’t really move much unless disturbed. A bull might spend the entire winter in a single gully if it has food, water and cover.

Look for an area that has a spring or beaver dam that’s still flowing. They really like liquid water vs snow. Also look for sheds. They drop sheds in their wintering areas, and that’s what you need to find.

This really is spot hunting. 1% of the land has 99% of the bulls. A quad would be an asset for moving from spot to spot, but you will probably have to walk into the thick stuff to find one.