Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Double dipping or not?

A friend of mine applied for antlerless moose in a group draw and they got 3 moose tags for that zone for rifle season ( let's say 355). His question is, since it doesn't specify archery on the tag; can he hunt the archery season in a zone where bowhunting is allowed for moose without applying for a draw tag (let's say 521)? I feel like it would be double dipping, just how I entered a cow elk tag in my first year and didn't know you can't get a general elk tag.

He doesn't have social media so that's why I ask on his behalf.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued
From the regulation synopsis
Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
From the regulation synopsis
So I understand that he can basically double dip. He can hunt only in the specified bow only zones that do not require a special draw license, and then kill a cow moose with his rifle season tag.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM

hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued

If I understand what you are asking. The answer would be no. He can not "double dip" in this situation.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 AM

he has to hunt for moose only in the zone he was drawn for, and only cow moose
Old 07-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So I understand that he can basically double dip. He can hunt only in the specified bow only zones that do not require a special draw license, and then kill a cow moose with his rifle season tag.
No, bow or rifle he can only hunt in the WMU the draw is for. He cannot buy a second moose tag for anywhere else.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
If he buys a general bow zone licence the system will not allow him to buy his special draw licence. And vice versa.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
No, bow or rifle he can only hunt in the WMU the draw is for. He cannot buy a second moose tag for anywhere else.
So he can only hunt the WMU he got the antlerless moose tag for and only in the rifle season for this year right? I thought so but the wording is somewhat confusing and seems like he can hunt archery in zones that allow for archery, and then once rifle season starts he can use his moose tag he drew this year for rifle.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
So he can only hunt the WMU he got the antlerless moose tag for and only in the rifle season for this year right? I thought so but the wording is somewhat confusing and seems like he can hunt archery in zones that allow for archery, and then once rifle season starts he can use his moose tag he drew this year for rifle.
Where do you read "only in the rifle season"?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Go here and look at page 36

http://albertaregulations.ca/2017-Al...ting-Draws.pdf

Let's say your friend was drawn in 102 for Antlerless Moose. He could then hunt that Moose in zone 102 from September 1 to October 31st using only archery tackle. Then on November 1st he can use a firearm or archery tackle until November 30th when the season closes.

Your friend can not hunt Antlerless Moose (or any other class of Moose) in any other zone for the 2018 hunting season. He can not even be on a partner license for another Moose hunter.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
he has to hunt for moose only in the zone he was drawn for, and only cow moose
He can harvest any antlerless moose, adult or calf.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
With a draw he can hunt the early bow season with a bow and the rifle season but only in the WMU the draw is for. He can only shoot one moose. If he kills a moose in bow season he has to stop hunting moose. If he doesn't kill a moose in bow season he can switch to a gun when the rifle season starts or if he wants he can keep using his bow all through rifle season.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Where do you read "only in the rifle season"?
Well my understanding is if the tag does not specify archery season, and there is no special license needed to hunt his wmu during archery season ( no black square in the regs) then why would he waste his tag in the early season when he can use a rifle and maybe be more successful in the rifle season?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
With a draw he can hunt the early bow season with a bow and the rifle season but only in the WMU the draw is for. He can only shoot one moose. If he kills a moose in bow season he has to stop hunting moose. If he doesn't kill a moose in bow season he can switch to a gun when the rifle season starts or if he wants he can keep using his bow all through rifle season.
Ok now I understand. I thought I was right but he said someone at Canadian tire.. told him that he can shoot one moose during archery in any zones that allow it, and then use his tag and shoot a moose during rifle season only in the zone he drew the tag for. I just wanted to be sure for my own sake as I had doubts I may be wrong.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well my understanding is if the tag does not specify archery season, and there is no special license needed to hunt his wmu during archery season ( no black square in the regs) then why would he waste his tag in the early season when he can use a rifle and maybe be more successful in the rifle season?
Why would it be wasting his tag...? The goal is to get a moose is it not. If he wants to hold off and try and shoot something bigger in riffle season that's the risk he takes.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Why would it be wasting his tag...? The goal is to get a moose is it not. If he wants to hold off and try and shoot something bigger in riffle season that's the risk he takes.
That is true. He was not planning to go hunt the area in archery season due to work and a closer area we have for elk and deer, but I will suggest to him that he should take as many opportunities as he can, just to have a greater success rate. I mean he may just find some nice elk or deer in his wmu which is 355,but I doubt it lol.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
then why would he waste his tag in the early season when he can use a rifle and maybe be more successful in the rifle season?
He can be successful in the early season and just might shoot the biggest most tender flavourful cow moose while they are still eating lush green vegetation instead of frozen twigs. Waiting till the rifle season puts you out there with all the other moose hunters chasing moose making them spookier, often going into hiding. With all the other hunters in rifle season somebody else might shoot the moose he could already have gotten in bow season. Bow hunting allows an extra month and a half of moose hunting time and gives a headstart advantage over all the rifle hunters.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM

If you look in the regs it specifically tells you how many licenses you can hold for each species. The only ones you can "double dip" so to speak in the context you are describing is antlerless mule or antlerless whitetail deer.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 PM

^^ let’s not even go there ... that will be tomorrows thread .. can’t spoil it lol
Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok now I understand. I thought I was right but he said someone at Canadian tire.. told him that he can shoot one moose during archery in any zones that allow it, and then use his tag and shoot a moose during rifle season only in the zone he drew the tag for. I just wanted to be sure for my own sake as I had doubts I may be wrong.
Friends Tag.......LOL, good luck on your moose hunt.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Friends Tag.......LOL, good luck on your moose hunt.
I wish I drew a moose tag this year. I 999'ed it because I want to draw in a zone I know, not a zone that is easy drawing. But thanks, I will probably tag along for deer or bear.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Hunting anew area isn’t that big of a deal. Last year we put in for a zone that we had never hunted before. My son and buddy were both drawn. We went the first week of September, jumped on quads and put on about 300km in the wmu looking for the most moose sign. We then picked out a camping spot and headed for home. September 30 we headed back up for our week long hunt. Two tags, called in two bulls. What more could you ask for.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 PM

The scenarios and things that some people cook up never ceases to baffle me.

LC
Old 07-14-2018, 04:43 AM

they will not sell him a second tag for moose ,and he can not use his tag on the earlier season ,for even his zone for archery ,because his tag is like for oct 1 to nov 1
Not sure if he is pulling your leg or you are trying to pull our leg.
the most he can do is shot a cow moose with his bow while his riffler hunt is going on the given date in his zone only.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 AM

Pretty sure he can bow hunt that tag before Oct Jr.

TBark
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The scenarios and things that some people cook up never ceases to baffle me.

LC
Yup, the regs read black and white. An easy read and understanding if you got past grade three.....then there's the " ya but the guy at the bar told me I could" people.....I bet the fish cops got a thousand good laughs a season when they are out and about.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Some draws are for only a certain time frame regardless of the equipment and some transcend both rifle and archery seasons , all one has to do is read the regulations completely and not just part of them.
There are no " loopholes " only plain English .
Cat
Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some draws are for only a certain time frame regardless of the equipment and some transcend both rifle and archery seasons , all one has to do is read the regulations completely and not just part of them.
There are no " loopholes " only plain English .
Cat
It takes a bit of time and effort to read the regulations, and many people simply can't be bothered to read them, just like they can't be bothered to read the draw booklet, or the firearms regulations.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Either your buddy is telling you tales, or the CT employee your buddy spoke to had no business working the sports counter as he has no idea what he is talking about.
Also JR, you are so very wrong my friend. I drew a cow moose tag and I will be out with my bow in hopes I do not have to bring out my Slugger later in the season.

BH

Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
...and if he does this, he'll have his own "Another Poacher Convicted" thread in the new year.