Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Default AWD SUV Opinions

I’m looking at buying a new or maybe few years old All Wheel Drive SUV and there’s just too many choices. I’m looking at Acura MDX (pricy!), new Kia Telluride, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV4. Crash worthiness is important, fuel economy, towing capacity (tow a 1000 lb touring bike), and I want fully featured Apple CarPlay, all the bells and whistles. So far I’m leaning towards the Kia Telluride.

Anyone have opinions or recommendations?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:58 PM

First off, you're comparing (fairly large) midsize suvs (MDX, telluride) to compact suv's. Decide what size you want, and compare apples to apples.

Next, go test drive them all and decide for yourself.

Aside from the kia (which is an unknown), they all are reliable, and all stand up to the same crash tests.

If it was me (and using the cars on your list)..

New RAV4 Trail, no question.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 PM

I've been looking at the small 2019 SUV's lately and towing capacity is a factor for me. Most of them like the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, and Hyundai Tucson are only 1500 lbs, the Nissan Rogue is even less at 1100 lbs. There were a few that were higher, the Toyota RAV4 Trail edition and the Ford Escape 2.0 EB both had a 3500lb tow rating, and the Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 V6 can tow 4500 lbs.

I'm leaning to the RAV4 Trail but you can get the Jeep with a locking rear diff which would be nice.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 PM

I just bought a new VW Tiguan and am happy with my purchase thus far. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:02 PM

We just bought a slightly used Mazda CX-5. Love it after trying others in the same category. You might be surprised. We don’t tow so not sure on that.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Have 3 year old Subaru Forester which fits my needs perfectly. Tows an Aliner trailer well. 7 to 8 l/100 km highway- 12 / 100 km towing trailer. Has served well deer and bird hunting.
I had a Nissan X-Trail before the Subaru - friend who bought it is still driving it as his daily beater.
I think that 3500 towing capacity for a Ford Escape is a mistake or a deception. Escape has a very good reputation with friends.
I rented a Grand Cherokee in the US and hated it. Not a Jeep fan.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 PM

If reliability and resale value are important, Toyota and Honda are among the better choices.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 PM

I like the reliability of the Toyota and Honda lines.

I was not aware of the Toyota RAV4 Trail Edition. Nice looking and featured with 3500lb tow rating and very good fuel economy ratings. Worth a look, but wow, $42,000+ price tag!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I like the reliability of the Toyota and Honda lines.

I was not aware of the Toyota RAV4 Trail Edition. Nice looking and featured with 3500lb tow rating and very good fuel economy ratings. Worth a look, but wow, $42,000+ price tag!
For the same ish $ you can get a honda ridgeline or pilot. I have a Ridgeline Sport and there is not many options it does not have. Worth a look.

If you want resale and real world reliability, Consumer Reports does not lie. Honda or Toyota.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Keep in mind though that the number one issue, by far, with "reliability" is connectivity issues with Bluetooth. My version of reliability and the rated version of reliability are very, very different.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
For the same ish $ you can get a honda ridgeline or pilot. I have a Ridgeline Sport and there is not many options it does not have. Worth a look.

If you want resale and real world reliability, Consumer Reports does not lie. Honda or Toyota.
Consumer Reports does get a little confused though, when the reliability varies dramatically for the same vehicle from one year to the next, and no changes were made to the vehicle during those years. The data is only as good as the people supplying the data, and many people are fairly clueless , when it comes to vehicles.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM

Subaru’s reliability has fallen a long long way. Avoid them. Toyota has never done me wrong.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I've been looking at the small 2019 SUV's lately and towing capacity is a factor for me. Most of them like the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, and Hyundai Tucson are only 1500 lbs, the Nissan Rogue is even less at 1100 lbs. There were a few that were higher, the Toyota RAV4 Trail edition and the Ford Escape 2.0 EB both had a 3500lb tow rating, and the Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 V6 can tow 4500 lbs.

I'm leaning to the RAV4 Trail but you can get the Jeep with a locking rear diff which would be nice.
We have a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Trail. It is rated to tow 3500 lbs, however they don’t have an OEM hitch yet, and I doubt there are any aftermarket options available at this time. We don’t intend to tow with ours anyhow, but I’m happy to have the extra transmission cooling that comes with the extra towing capacity.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Consumer Reports does get a little confused though, when the reliability varies dramatically for the same vehicle from one year to the next, and no changes were made to the vehicle during those years. The data is only as good as the people supplying the data, and many people are fairly clueless , when it comes to vehicles.
Certainly can be puzzling at times. However, all you have to do is take a look at kijiji and you will see the vehicles that give the owners high mileage.

There ain't many Neons on the road anymore. Lots of Honda and Toyota.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post

Was in the same spot 2 years ago. Girlfriend at the time liked the rav4 but I wasn’t a fan. I liked the escape she thought it was a bit too big. We settled on a Jeep cherokee. To date the thing has been rock solid! One warranty recall issue with a wiring harness which was fixed painlessly. I like the tow capacity and Jeep 4x4. My girlfriend is now my wife and when it’s time to replace this one we will most likely get another one! Great fuel mileage solid on the road in snow and rain plenty of room for us. The only complaint is the set up of the window defrost, it doesn’t get quite all of the side windows.

Oh and the Cherokee is NOT the same as the Grand Cherokee.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 AM

Small sample size but, real world experience -

My Subaru Forester - nothing to fix 3 years
friend's Subaru Forester (Cranbrook) - nothing to fix 5 years
Hunting Partner's Subaru Forester - nothing to fix 7 years

Get a pattern here ?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 AM

I was very impressed by the Subaru Outback on a test drive.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:47 AM

I recommended the my old man a Subaru probably about 6 years ago probably about 250,000km trouble free minus one recall. The recall on the low end of the motor (I think) so the dealership replaced that and did whatever maintenance was needed while the motor was pulled for free, so basically got a free rebuild. Winter tires on the subi and its the most planted vehicle I've ever driven on ice.

I would definitely look at them too.

Edit: Its been a while since I have looked into it, but Subaru was one of the few manufactures using a 'true' AWD system meaning all 4 wheels get power.. other guys like the rav-4 have a selector or its FWD and when it slips power gets sent to the back.. another thing to look into.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:41 AM

In terms of reliability, I think in general most mainstream modern cars are pretty close. Yes, you'll see Honda and Toyota at the front of the pack, but buying a middle of the pack model does not mean that you can expect a catastrophic failure two months into your purchase. Even Honda and Toyota have their issues; recall Toyota's massive recalls a few years ago and Honda's current issue with CRV turbo engines failing in cold weather. That isn't to say that Honda or Toyota aren't excellent choices, just attempting to point out that the gap isn't as significant as it has been in the past.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
loĺ
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
.....and Honda's current issue with CRV turbo engines failing in cold weather.
Honda just recalled some 1.2 million vehicles yesterday.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
More impressed than the dealer was.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
In terms of reliability, I think in general most mainstream modern cars are pretty close. Yes, you'll see Honda and Toyota at the front of the pack, but buying a middle of the pack model does not mean that you can expect a catastrophic failure two months into your purchase. Even Honda and Toyota have their issues; recall Toyota's massive recalls a few years ago and Honda's current issue with CRV turbo engines failing in cold weather. That isn't to say that Honda or Toyota aren't excellent choices, just attempting to point out that the gap isn't as significant as it has been in the past.
I remember the huge recall by Toyota, because some idiot stacked multiple floor mats, that jammed the accelerator pedal and resulted in a runaway vehicle that ended up with fatalities. The idiot was on the phone calling 911, instead of simply moving the shifter out of gear, or even shutting off the engine. The current Toyota floor liners still have cut outs under the accelerator pedal, in an attempt to idiot proof them. Since I owned a Tundra at the time, Toyota wanted to cut the bottom off of the accelerator pedal as part of a recall, all because of some clueless idiot. As such, I put zero consideration into this recall, as it was simply done to appease some people that had no clue. Some recalls have merit, some don't.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Honda just recalled some 1.2 million vehicles yesterday.
Airbag issue affecting vehicles between 2001-2010. If all that goes wrong is an airbag recall in 8 yrs (from the newest models) I will take it gladly.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
How did that go?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I remember the huge recall by Toyota, because some idiot stacked multiple floor mats, that jammed the accelerator pedal and resulted in a runaway vehicle that ended up with fatalities. The idiot was on the phone calling 911, instead of simply moving the shifter out of gear, or even shutting off the engine. The current Toyota floor liners still have cut outs under the accelerator pedal, in an attempt to idiot proof them. Since I owned a Tundra at the time, Toyota wanted to cut the bottom off of the accelerator pedal as part of a recall, all because of some clueless idiot. As such, I put zero consideration into this recall, as it was simply done to appease some people that had no clue. Some recalls have merit, some don't.
It was more than floormats and driver error, they paid a hefty fine for cover up

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4BnVL2yRWtH0g2
Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
It was more than floormats and driver error, they paid a hefty fine for cover up

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4BnVL2yRWtH0g2
I hadn't seen that article, but if the driver in the Lexus, had a clue, he had plenty of time to avoid the accident. In the time that it took to call 911, and talk to the operator, the driver could have simply moved the shifter into neutral, and the threat would have been neutralized. Whether there was an issue with the pedal or not, in that situation, there was no reason for a fatal accident to occur.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I hadn't seen that article, but if the driver in the Lexus, had a clue, he had plenty of time to avoid the accident. In the time that it took to call 911, and talk to the operator, the driver could have simply moved the shifter into neutral, and the threat would have been neutralized. Whether there was an issue with the pedal or not, in that situation, there was no reason for a fatal accident to occur.
Unfortunately they don't teach people how to drive for circumstances like that. When electronics fail they can do some strange things. I'm not sure on push button start if you could even shut it off when driving. The new vehicles with everything going electronic can do some unsafe things in my opinion. I deal with it daily as an auto technician.

Toyata can make bad designs just like any manufacturer does. It's the manuctures responsiblity to properly design it. They paid a big fine for a cover up. Didn't want to ruin their reputation as being so safe and good. Drivers did nothing wrong, Toyota is at fault.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Unfortunately they don't teach people how to drive for circumstances like that. When electronics fail they can do some strange things. I'm not sure on push button start if you could even shut it off when driving. The new vehicles with everything going electronic can do some unsafe things in my opinion. I deal with it daily as an auto technician.

Toyata can make bad designs just like any manufacturer does. It's the manuctures responsiblity to properly design it. They paid a big fine for a cover up. Didn't want to ruin their reputation as being so safe and good. Drivers did nothing wrong, Toyota is at fault.
While there is an interlock in some push button start vehicles that won't let you turn off the engine above a certain speed, you can take the transmission out of gear at highway speeds. Anyone with any common sense should be able to figure that out in the time that it took to call 911, and talk to the operator, as happened in the case of the incident with the Lexus. With more and more vehicles going to a drive by wire system, that could change engine speed without any input from the accelerator pedal, in the case of a failure, I would be concerned that there are drivers on the road that are too clueless to figure this out. I am surprised that the 911 operator never thought of this either.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
While there is an interlock in some push button start vehicles that won't let you turn off the engine above a certain speed, you can take the transmission out of gear at highway speeds. Anyone with any common sense should be able to figure that out in the time that it took to call 911, and talk to the operator, as happened in the case of the incident with the Lexus. With more and more vehicles going to a drive by wire system, that could change engine speed without any input from the accelerator pedal, in the case of a failure, I would be concerned that there are drivers on the road that are too clueless to figure this out. I am surprised that the 911 operator never thought of this either.
Most drivers have very little idea of how to handle an unintended acceleration incident. Many drivers don't have a clue how to get into thier own vehicle if the electronic fob doesn't open the door. That's not part of teaching people about driving. It should be, I agree with you on that.

Toyota covered up a problem, it cost them 1.2 billion in fines. Obviously there had to be more than one incident.

I'm thinking because you own a Toyota that they have to be the best , no way they could actually be at fault.

In my professional opinion of being an automotive mechanic for over 20 years they all break. I don't really care which brand you buy, they all have service centers.