Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Vehicles on pipelines

Does anyone know anything regarding laws for driving on pipelines?
I read on my firewood permit that motor vehicles are not permitted on pipelines.
I wonder if the same restrictions apply to traveling to a hunting camp, or game retrieval etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Gone Hunting

It is one of those "grey areas" from what I have heard.

The company that owns the pipeline has a form of agreement with the government making them responsible for the line. This is so they are held responsible if something goes wrong there. However that then gives them some power to govern what can happen on "their" pipeline.

I believe if they wanted to they could keep people off the pipeline but that would be a BIG job and not good pr.

When a logging road is going to cross a pipeline there are rules that the pipeline company forces the logging company to comply with.

Recreational quadding on pipelines has become a big erosion problem on a lot of pipelines west of Rocky. Problems which have cost the pipeline company $.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM

I have noticed this also in the Crowsnest Pass. Alot of the pipelines have been so heavily used by quads that erosion is a problem. I was wondering what is going to happen once it is so bad that the pipe starts to show. I can see them trying to ban vehicles from using the pipelines for safety reasons.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM

For ground disturbance purposes, commercial traffic is limited to a 3/4 ton truck or smaller. Technically you require a crossing agreement to drive over a pipeline ROW with a 1 ton truck (if the ROW is not in a built up area, ex. a road). However, for farming practices, a farmer can drive a Super B loaded with fertilizer up and down a pipeline ROW as much as he wants with no need for a crossing agreement (for example if there was a pipeline ROW in a field and he wanted to drive over it).
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM

So what happens if there is a pipeline on my property,no quading on my own land?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Ya, first I ever heard of it when i was looking at the firewood permit...
Ooops, can of worms!

I drive along the "high" (dry) side of a PL ROW on crown land to get to my "camp". I'm not on the pipe, but right against the bush where I know I won't get muddy, it's an old trail from years ago that I follow.
In my case, it looks like the quadders and occasional brave hunter in a truck don't even know it's there, as they follow the "muddy" trail in the low spot right by the pipe. (it's been 3 years since I've seen anyone on that trail).

Anyway, just wondering if I'll get charged with anything for being there or using that route to access where I camp ?

I'd never even heard of any restriction like that until I read it on the wood permit.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

You can get fined for "jay walking" as well. I'm sure there is a risk of getting a fine, you can decide if the risk is too big for you or not. If its too scary for you don't do it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Tread lightly, and respect the land, just like anywhere else. They won't (and most times don't) care.

BUT.. If an operator/employee asks you to pullover and talk, do so, and be honest.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM

My question would be, who is going to charge you? If you are way out in the bush and an oil company guy catches you, what is he going to do, tie you up and haul you to the cop shop. I don't think the rcmp are gonna drive out in the bush, then down a pipeline to charge you with what, trespassing maybe. What ever happened to the slogan tread lightly. Just because you can drive sonewhere doesn't mean it has to be full throttle with rooster tails behind you, don't give people a reason to be angry that your driving down there ROW, and they probably won't get angry.

And I know, its not everyone, usually its a few that ruin it for many

JB got to tread lightly before me lol, great minds think alike lol

Last edited by leeaspell; 10-11-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
So what happens if there is a pipeline on my property,no quading on my own land?
Naw, that's okay, But if you're going to build a fence across the right of way, you're supposed to consult them. Might hit that 8 ' deep line with a post.

Lot of cost and effort goes into restoring the right of ways and it only makes sense not to disturb, it from a conservation point of view

Grizz
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
And I know, its not everyone, usually its a few that ruin it for many
That sounds very much like the few rat thieves whom basically now have implemented those dam camera's everywhere and dam drones to come.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM

From the pipeline Act for what it's worth. My experience is that if your a private guy doing your thing, it's not an issue, but if your traveling on a r/w commercially (oilfield work, Gravel Hauling, Logging etc) that's another story.

66 No person shall operate a vehicle or equipment across a
pipeline at a point that is not within the upgraded and traveled
portion of a highway or public road without obtaining approval
from the licensee of the pipeline unless
(a) the vehicle or equipment is used for farming operations,
(b) the vehicle is an off-highway vehicle as defined in section
117(a)(iii) to (viii) of the Traffic Safety Act, or
(c) the vehicle is a private passenger vehicle as defined in
section 1(1)(jj) of the Traffic Safety Act and has a nominal
chassis rating of not greater than 3/4 of a ton.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Here is a picture of an OHV trail on a pipeline. the semi steep grade had been reclaimed with vegetation to prevent erosion. But the OHV traffic wore it down to soil and water running down the hill now follows the eroded trail.

Some day the pipe may be exposed, though the company may be required to spend $ and fix it before then.

I reckon if the companies have to start spending lots of $ on this they will seek to have OHVs banned from their pipelines to some extent.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
You can get fined for "jay walking" as well. I'm sure there is a risk of getting a fine, you can decide if the risk is too big for you or not. If its too scary for you don't do it.
Not sure where I expressed any fear. But thanks for your insight.

Joeya:
thanks, that helps a lot.

"From the pipeline Act for what it's worth. My experience is that if your a private guy doing your thing, it's not an issue, but if your traveling on a r/w commercially (oilfield work, Gravel Hauling, Logging etc) that's another story.

66 No person shall operate a vehicle or equipment across a
pipeline at a point that is not within the upgraded and traveled
portion of a highway or public road without obtaining approval
from the licensee of the pipeline unless
(a) the vehicle or equipment is used for farming operations,
(b) the vehicle is an off-highway vehicle as defined in section
117(a)(iii) to (viii) of the Traffic Safety Act, or
(c) the vehicle is a private passenger vehicle as defined in
section 1(1)(jj) of the Traffic Safety Act and has a nominal
chassis rating of not greater than 3/4 of a ton."
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Here is a picture of an OHV trail on a pipeline. the semi steep grade had been reclaimed with vegetation to prevent erosion. But the OHV traffic wore it down to soil and water running down the hill now follows the eroded trail.

Some day the pipe may be exposed, though the company may be required to spend $ and fix it before then.

I reckon if the companies have to start spending lots of $ on this they will seek to have OHVs banned from their pipelines to some extent.

I would report this area to the ERCB. Any time there is erosion around pipelines there has to be an inspection. With erosion, subsidence, frost heave and the like...better to err on the side of caution. I know the pipeline owner would also happily welcome a problem coming to their attention before the pipe is breached by a tire or a rifle
Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Naw, that's okay, But if you're going to build a fence across the right of way, you're supposed to consult them. Might hit that 8 ' deep line with a post.

Lot of cost and effort goes into restoring the right of ways and it only makes sense not to disturb, it from a conservation point of view

Grizz
Exc! Thanks for the insights Grizz & Joeya!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I wouldn't be banking on many pipelines being 8 feet deep...you may be in for a big surprise pounding a post one day!!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Default pipeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I wouldn't be banking on many pipelines being 8 feet deep...you may be in for a big surprise pounding a post one day!!
You sir are absolutly right.I remember we were trying to locate a old line on a lease and the farmer stopped by and says "what ya looking fer" we told him theres supposed to be a pipeline here and he says "oh your way off its over there I gotta lift my disk up when i go over it otherwise I hit it" Should seen the look on the inspectors face when the farmer showed us the line.Was only 4" deep
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM

I know have done lots of locates and the only time you see 8 feet is under crossings road,rail, or river. Average depth I would say would be 18 to 30 inches...first call is your friend it's free also! The damages to our rows in some areas is getting to the point where we are going to have to prohibit travel! Not hunters doing the damage but the quading mud boggers. They started with ATV.S now there atit with trucks...have damages to well shacks from tards ramming with utv.s...only a matter of time until someone is killed and it will ruin access to many of us!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 AM

If your plate is commercially registered, its a NO NO...you need a crossing agreement. No vehicle large that 1/2 ton if I remember correctly. Look under the Pipeline Act & Regulations - I know its listed there.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM

Folks, I am a safety person for a pipeline company. Hunters please use our ROW's with respect and try to not rut up and cause erosion issues. If you see some severe issues our numbers are on the signs please let us know where. As for depth 18"-30" is a good rule of thumb, no they are not 8' deep and are very susceptible to damage with large, heavy vehicles. Pipeline companies are very happy to share out ROW’s with responsible parties, unfortunately some are not, theft, damage, bullet holes continue to be an ongoing issue.. if you see someone doing things they should not on our ROW’s please let us or the RCMP know immediately and don’t put yourself at risk. Some of these lines have very high potential if breached. Let’s keep everyone safe.

SUCCESS: If at first you don't succeed, redefine success and celebrate your victory!