Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 AM

Maybe this has already been answered but where was this? I would lodge a complaint, but understand that you must think about your child. How utterly ignorant this teacher is. Good luck to you and good for you to stand up to her.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM

Times have definitely changed. Back in 1975, we were in grade 9 and one teacher decided to have a Hunter Training Conservation course, which was well received, He was not a hunter but a bit of an outdoorsman, about 1/2 way through the course he asked me if I could bring my shotgun to school to show everyone in the class that had never seen a gun or held one. Of course I said yes, and the next week, there I am walking to school in the morning with my shotgun, in a soft case, to school. Put it in my locker and then when time for class, with the halls filled with students, I'm walking to the course, shotgun in hand. Never an issue, even as I walked through the neighborhood home. By the way this was not a small town, but in Calgary. He was an awesome teacher, wished there was more like him. He had also asked if we could bring in some ducks we had shot to show the others how to pluck and clean them. Great learning experience.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM

Lol...one year for Halloween my 14 year old daughter put on camo, grabed a big set of mule deer horns and tied them to the top of my big external frame pack, then grabbed my bow and headed to school.....she was a big hit.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM

When my son was in grade 5, he had a proplem with some anger management and disruptive behavour. We took him to CASA. And he was put on meds by the sycologets he was seeing. He was given a IQ test and a lot of his problems was that he was bored and the work was not challenging. Seemed he was at the 10 level for some smarts. Came in third accross Canada in Kangaroo math. Could do some grade 12 math in his head at grade 5. We had a conferance call with the principal, teacher, teachers aid, wife, myself, son and the sycologist. Well, the teacher, teachers aid spoke for about 5 mins. The sycologist went up one side of them and down the other side of them and gave them the what for. They shut right up with thier tails between thier legs and no problems at all for the next 4 years. The principal didn't even say a word.

Some of these teachers are morons and if they do whistle blowing to child services and they are found to be out to lunch. They should get suspended with out pay for a month or even worse.

Oh bye the way. Son is in second year, Computor Enginering at NAIT, 19 years old. Had some job interviews last year for some very large companies like, Telus, Atco etc... Building there networks and stuff.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM

I got in chit from the principle at my school las year cause I was discussing the guns used in WWII with a classmate. He said it was inappropriate and to not talk about guns at school. So then why are you teaching us about the wars?

Also SAIT won't let my buddy bring his bow here from lethbridge so he can hunt. He has to drive down to lethbridge to get it now.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Default There are exceptions guys.....

I've worked at my school as a teacher for about 15 years now.

We have always had a shooting club. We've had one for more than 20 years now.

Another teacher and I often take kids from gr.4 to gr 12 out hunting. You wanna see a kid learn and grow? Teach them rules and respect, then show them they now HAVE to bear a huge responsibility... put a gun in their hands.
We need to not coddle kids.

And we also need to stop bitching about who's not teaching what to whom. We need to GET OUT THERE AND CHANGE IT.

I'd approach your schools and work to counter the anti-gun sentiments.

Start up a shooting club. Affiliate yourself with a trophy or gun or rod and gun club for help.

You got to fight for what you want or it does become history, especially in the cities.

lots of talk about fighting to keep our heritage.... Guys, it dosen't take much effort. AND ITS FUN!!

Is ANYONE surprised that urban born-raised-educated teachers are sqeamish about guns?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM

when i went to school in fort mcmurray at westwood comm high , there was a course you could take for extra credit . it was a wildlife , survival and hunting course. everyone got a copy of the alberta hunting study guide and took the exam. went to the teachers house to skin a few deer. it was a great course and helped a lot of us know-it-alls . the class was fairly mixed . half the guys and girls you could see hunting. half took it to see something new or just to grab the credits. i loved it .
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
I work for Children's Services and trust me, you won't receive a call or a visit. We're too busy with real issues. I'd chew that teacher out for wasting my time if I was on intake.
Can you explain why your department jumps when my ex wife calls? I am getting tired of explaining the law to your stupid coworkers.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM

GEEZE that teacher needs to take a pill or something my 6 year old ttok a toy deer to school for show and tell he showed them where shot placement on the deer should be this is a airdrie school where most of the kids are bussed in from the country
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Hope you get this teacher straightened out. Go talk to the principal or higher up. Teach the ciriculum, not your personal beliefs. When my son was in grade 3(gr 9 now) he did a what are you thankful for picture of a turkey. Each tail feather had what he was thankful for. One feather said hunting as he had already joined my dad and me on a few day trips. Seen the teacher the next week in the hall and she mentions the hunting part and kinda starts in on it not being appropriate. I asked why. Because hunting is killing. I said did you enjoy your turkey dinner last weekend, she said yes. I said thats good but somebody killed it for you. You hunt at the grocery store, we do it in the woods. She just stood there like a deer in the headlights. My son wrote a few stories after that about camping, fishing and hunting, never a peep from the teacher. Some people just belive what others have told them is right and until someone shows them another way, it doesnt change. When I was in gr 5, my friend brought his dad to show and tell, a WW2 vet. We got to see a couple guns, heard stories of the war(and not fluff, real shat stuff) and we got to feel his arm where he still had schrapnel in it. I took in my dads bear rug one time.This was in edmonton in the mid 70's. I doubt that would happen today. Times have changed.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Used to shoot ducks with my vice principal. Bio teacher was always wanting organs for his collection.

Principal did ask me to put my shotgun in the trunk while on school property, I carelessly left the buttstock sticking out from under it's hiding place in the car. Oops. Wasn't an issue though, he just didn't want it stolen.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

Jeepers. I would have questioned that teacher and maybe suggested she seek counselling for her paranoia. Tell her maybe she needs to go on meds or something before she does something that endangers people's lives.

I can remember a friends dad bringing in a moose head (not the beer) to our grade 5 class for show and tell, still go hunting and fishing with my friend and his dad who was our principal. It must be hard for the kids with normal parents these days knowing they have more intelligence and common sense than their teachers. How could you have any respect for a teacher as addle-brained as that?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM

We've seen this show before. Dramatic story, no conclusion.

Talk to the Principal, and be sure to come back and tell us how it went.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Id take the child services being called threat serious. We had a neighbour who did not like us as we had kids. a 2 and 3 year old were to noisy she said and always bitched. Well one day the wife had child services show up saying they had a complaint I was beating and swearing at the kids the previous day. Funny thing was I was on my way to work out of town when I was in a bad wreck and was in the hospital, hard to beat them from there.

Even with that proven they needed references of friends and family and we had to make a doctors appointment so our doc could look them over and say theres no abuse. Our Doctor laughed when we told him I apparently abuse my kids as she delivered both our kids and has done all there checkups and new we were awesome parents.

Wife was a wreck for a while putting up with the calls from child services etc.

I said IF for some reason this happened again, Im just getting a lawyer before we even say a word.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Id be filing a complaint with the Principal , then the superintendent , then finally the Education minister . That's just insane , you know would be one thing he goes to school daddy hits mommy , or Daddy beats me up . Give me a break these tree hugging Liberals , that think firearms are wrong , that there should be no hunting that all the cute animals should not be on the business end of a muzzle .

Shakes head and says even more loss for humanity . I should purposely have kids just so they can put a picture of a dead buck they killed in there locker , maybe a few Rebel flag stickers , Browning buck head , and let them go to school saying me and daddy went hunting today , I shot his gun . Over my dead body would I roll over and let this roll over .