Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Lightbulb Luck.....good or bad??

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going out for a day of bighorn sheep hunting here in BC. Me and my partner hiked 11 km into the back country, and had the pleasure of looking over a total of 38 sheep, mostly ewes and lambs, but a total of 4 rams, none of which were legal. On the ride out, on our mountain bikes, we stopped to do some glassing, finding a small muley buck, not a deer we were going to go after. Hopping on the bikes and starting downhill, I followed my partner, and after rounding a bend my front tire struck a large rock on the trail, my front wheel bent and I soon found myself in the air going over the handlebars. Time slowed down as I tucked my head and prepared for the impact. I landed right shoulder first, felt a large pop as I kissed the dirt and rolled over a couple times. Long story short, my partner eventually turned around and came back to come see what was up, he found me laying on the trail in a heap clutching my arm. He grabbed my gear, helped me up, and a quick 6 km hike out, and another hour and a half drive to the hospital and a quick x-ray revealed that I had broken my collarbone into 3 pieces. There were doctors and nurses that came from all over the hospital to see my x-rays, no one had seen a break that bad.

So, now the healing process starts, the pain isn't that bad, but what hurts is that I had 12 days of bighorn hunting planned to start next week, a week long brown bear hunt on the west coast planned for the first week of November and 2 weeks of mule deer and whitetail hunting planned for the end of November in Alberta.

The doctor said I was lucky that I didn't puncture a lung and I didn't suffer a brain injury.....I tend to agree with him, there's always next year. So my question to you guys is; how is my luck, good or bad???
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM

I would say 100% lucky, bones can heal after they are broken. Braind onthe other had usually don't come back from impact tramma injuries like that.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Default maybe not maybe yes

maybe the bear hunt was going to be bad and the fall saved your life? food for thought.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Lucky and my guess is that you can still take in the Bear hunt.

(Well I hope so anyhow!)

Jamie
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Lucky for sure, but old Murphy's law likes to bite you at times like this! Hopefully your able to rebook for next year on account if this.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Yeah I would have to agree with you guys, there is always the chance of going next year, and as long as a guy has his health things just aren't that bad. I was thinking if I learned how to shoot left handed I might still get a crack at a buck or two to fill the freezer up for the winter!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Your luck sucks
You fell off a bike and ended your hunting season

At least with a brain injury, there is a chance you wouldnt remember that you ended your hunting season by falling off a bike!

Jk