Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM

I quit in '87, and from time to time the craving comes backk, but it gooes away as well.
What I miss is a good Scotch and a cigar, when hunting with guys like hornhead and my kid it's not bad, both of whom like Scotch and good cigars and cann hhang around and smell the fumes.
Pretty sure that one drag off a cohiba and one lick of a cap from a bottle of 18 year old Glen fiddich woulld lay me out for an hour !!
Cat
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM

I got into one of my Dads while he was working and had one burning in an ash tray. i was only about 5 at the time but i took a huge puff. I ended up puking, crying and choking. I have yet to ever have a desire to pick one up after that. That burning/choking and puke feeling comes back everytime I see them.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Hang in ther bud!.... it gets easier...with time and being focused on the goal is so important...

I am losing weight and I often ask myself .... Will that taste as good as thin feels!/

Will that smoke be as good as that new bow will feel!...

Onbe day when i am down to the weight I need to be I will write book on how to lose weight...

It will be a hardcover book with no pages you open it and right hand side will say...QUIT EATING LIKE A PIG.... left hand side will say...MOVE MORE!...

Quitting smoking there are many ways like peeling off a band aid... you can do it slow with something to replace or rip it off fast and get the pain over with!...

Losing weight is differnt than quitting smoking.......after all you still have to eat just less!...
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM

I remember a friend of mine... her dad caught her smoking and stewed a cigar in milk and made her drink the milk.... After the retching whenever she smells tobacco burning....she still retches... perfect cure!...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 PM

I was a pack and a half a day and i quit cold turkey when my son was born.
That was 23 years ago.
Congrats on you for quitting
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Hate everything about it and will never start, lost my uncle to brain cancer when I was young and whatched him get worse and worse in the hospital. He was a great uncle at the time and I wish I could do more stuff with him now that I'm older.My aunt quit before the whole thing but her son (my cousin) also smokes now.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM

"Its easy to quit I've done a hundred times"

In fact its not easy I have been quiting for about 25 years sometimes going five years in between binges. My advice is after you quit no matter how tempting it is never have smoke anything again not even a Cuban.
My last 3 month binge started when was I was given a Panter cigar, after quitting for over 5 years what could one little cigar do? Well let me tell you it started a fire; one a day then two then full time within a month. I have been smoke free for the last 7 weeks, patches for the first 4 weeks then on Nicorettes 2mg. I'm down to about 3 Nicorettes a day looking forward to not being hooked.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 PM

im 2 years May 02... i quit cold turkey but in actuality it was a process of 3 years or more....

i quit smoking at home,,,then i quit smoking in vehicle or driving( driving with friends on long trips i would make them pull over for a puff)...
then the hardest challenge was to quit at work and when shooting . i have always smoked at work and it was the beast i had to over come .....
i was an angry person to be around but we all survived the transition...

in 3 months it was easy to say no as to say yes to a Cig... couple years now and the Cravings come and go..

If i am tempted ,,i just say to myself do u really want to go through that again ....NOT!!!!
alll the best...and Congrats to all
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Its been four years on Oct. 21st. Champix worked really well for me, but everyone is different.

I signed up on albertaquits.ca which is basically a tracker of sort. You enter how many you smoke a day and how much per pack and it keeps track of the amount of money you have saved, how many cig's you havent smoked, and how much of your life has been saved. As of a few months ago I was at $13000.

I'll never forget though, my first hunting trip about a month after I quit. I reach camp in the early evening and as most do crack open a nice cold beer. Well I end up throwing it out as its gone skunky (it was sitting in my camper for 6 months or so) Open up a new case and a new beer, hmmm same thing. Grab a beer from a friend as I am assuming that all mine have gone off. Yet again the same taste, I then realize this is actually what beer tastes like and now that i'm a non smoker I can actually taste things.