Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

Default Ignorant Teacher

Now Ive heard it all. My 8 year olds teacher called us tonight. She was concerned that he drew a picture of him shooting a gun at a target. I went to the school and looked at the picture. Its him, sitting behind a deep freeze (we use a deep freeze for a rest in the yard) shooting my .270 at a target. I am standing behind him in the picture holding my ears. I explained to her that hes excited because he shot my .270, hes always wanted to. Apparently he talked about it lots today. I was thinking here we go with the anti gun bs. No. Her issue was that its irresponsible for an 8 year old to fire a high powered rifle. (Hes 4'8" and 145 lbs....hes a BIG 8 year old). I explained to her that hes been around guns his whole life, Dad was right beside him and the situation was both VERY safe and NONE OF HER BUSINESS. The conversation ended when she announced that she felt obligated to report this to Childrens Services.

Heres the funny part, the Supervisor from Childrens Services in another district was over for Thanksgiving this past weekend. She sat and watched her 9 year old daughter shoot the .22,.243, sks and .410 with me and her dad and thought it was awesome.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Brutal! Now your gonna have to deal with that b.s.

First thing i would be doing is, changing teachers!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM

i remember back in grade 4, my parent was called to have a meeting with my teacher cause i drew some stick man fighting with ninjas.....
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Don`t think it`s a good idea either, but I can understand why some people Home School. Definitely change teachers. Went through this with one of my kids. Art teacher figured he was perverted because he drew tomb stones behind the old school house instead of detailing in shingles. Called for a parent interview. Told her the poor kid was just bored. New teacher please. When I bitched, got the line that she had bad feelings for Germans, cause her family had suffered in the war. Give me a break. One of the biggest problems our society faces is the extremely poor quality of the teachers indoctrinating the next generation.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 10-11-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Don`t think it`s a good idea either, but I can understand why some people Home School.

Grizz
We are discussing exactly that tonight
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM

I think that teacher should be taught how to handle a rifle correctly, and for her comment I would have to say I'd probably be in jail
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM

I work for Children's Services and trust me, you won't receive a call or a visit. We're too busy with real issues. I'd chew that teacher out for wasting my time if I was on intake.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Thats exactly what our friend told us too. Still annoying, and kinda scary that this is a person entrusted to teach children.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddysToys View Post
Thats exactly what our friend told us too. Still annoying, and kinda scary that this is a person entrusted to teach children.
Haven't you heard they are now "co-parents", they know what is best for the states children, you are just the banker.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM

I taught for over 33 years and then had enough. I found you never know what some teachers are going to say. One teacher I was arguing with figured he could wrestle a cougar and win. It was not until I showed him a picture of a cougar that he changed his mind. Teachers are no different than some members of this forum. There are good guys and bad guys on it. There are no it alls and guys he listen to reason. You have to take the good with the bad. I learned my lesson about some teachers about 30 years ago when I taught in a little native fishing village in N. B.C. We were having a staff meeting with the chief and other band members when this teacher got up and said the reason the native students were not behaving properly was because they were eating Indian food. If they ate white guys food they woulds be O.K. That's when I knew some teachers were out to lunch or as they say they missed the boat. If I were you I would give the principal a call. If that does not work call the school division superintendent that generally gets the schools jumping.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Can't wait to see what kind of uproar my 9yr daughter will raise at school this halloween. She wants to be a ninja so she is going to be a ninja with plastic sword and all.

Can't wait .
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM

I'd be a little choked. After child services is done with their big investigation which will go nowhere, as clearly it sounds like you are responsible and teaching your kid the proper and responsible way to use a firearm, you should be having words with the principal. That teacher is out of line.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

How about some names.

School Division

Town

Principal name

Teacher name

If your post is true you should have no problem posting this information.

Also, the news media watches this forum very closely.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
GOOD LUCK! Hope you get this resolved before this teacher makes your life a living nightmare.

Before letting my son shoot at Aheia day last month I nipped the problem before it even started. Call to the principal and teacher. Explained it to them. Then explained to my son that most mommies and daddies DON'T understand that shooting and hunting aren't bad. It would be best not to tell everyone he was shooting shotguns because some parents might call the police. We then discussed who it was "safe" to discuss it with.
This approach has resulted in no issues for us.
Wow.

I am glad I don't live in the city.

I used to have a Hunting Hall of Fame in my class where kids could post pics with their kills.

Never had a single complaint.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM

All I can really say, is im sure if we were in school now-a-days and drew pics of what we used to, well we wouldnt last in the school system long Now-a-days there are way to many OVERLY sensitive issues that OVERLY sensitive people have. God im sure if your 12yr old took a pic to school of his first buck kill and showed people, how do you think that would go over
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Don't get me started on Halloween. My kids had that taken away at an Edmonton School it was Black and Orange day because someone took religious offence to Halloween. They now go to the school on the base with people that understand that Halloween is a fun day for kids not a serious worship the dead night that it was 10 000 years ago. People should grow up and realize that they are taking all the fun days away from kids, just because it COULD be offensive to others. Honestly I know a few Jews and Muslims that say Merry Christmas at Christmas time. I did make the mistake of saying Happy Ramadan once but apparently that is not a happy occasion, I was told very politely though so the point was taken. Honestly I can't tell you how many pics my kids have drawn over the years with army guys in them. The only school that took offence to them (you got it, Ole Black and Orange day place) thought my children were disturbed and had some death fantasies. I mention I have been a soldier for 10 years at that point, you would have thought that would have cleared everything up. I was told I should discourage the "Savage" pursuits and have my children pursue more intellectual things lest they turn out to be murderers. Apparently that is what they call patriots these days. I know some of you would have knocked their heads off but it just made me giggle, you would not believe some of the stuff I have been called as a career soldier. Now that my kids are at the base they at least realize that this is what Daddy does for a living and kids look up to us. This teacher is like so many others I don't like it, and I know everything because I am a teacher. No offence to the teachers on the forum but you know the kind I mean. I don't like it so it is bad and you are bad for liking it.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I think that when some teachers go to university they lose all common sense and reasoning skills;
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 PM

I'm not gay so I don't need the hide in the closet (and neither do they) the don't ask don't tell advice is counter productive, but thanks for the effort. I'll continue to be up front about firearms as I have been for the past 50 years. Happy to tune in anti's, not happy to appease them as that's how the problem got started!

Last edited by uglyelk; 10-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM

I am not surprised one bit.

Here is our newsletter on Halloween.

HALLOWEEN AT SCHOOL
Halloween at School: Students may wear their costumes in the afternoon on October 31st if they wish.
Bring costumes to school in a bag and put them on over clothing in the afternoon.
PLEASE, no make-up, hair spray, hair dye, swords, guns (or other scary weapons).
PLEASE, healthy treats only as requested by classroom teachers. No candy, cakes, cookies etc.
Thank you for respecting our wishes to keep our focus on learning while children are at school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyex View Post
Don't get me started on Halloween.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Conclusion:
Common sense is not all that common!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Boy I'm glad I live in a rural area! Last fall my daughters science teacher asked the class if there were any hunters in the group. Of course their were numuerous, my daughter included. She then asked the hunters if they could save the main organs from their deer and bring them to class so they could disect and examine them. We saved the heart, liver and kidneys from the mule deer my daughter shot. She packed them into the school in a black plastic bag. Several other kids also showed up throughout November with bags of organs. They ended up with enough for the whole class to participate in the lab. Now that's what I'm talking about!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
GOOD LUCK! Hope you get this resolved before this teacher makes your life a living nightmare.

Before letting my son shoot at Aheia day last month I nipped the problem before it even started. Call to the principal and teacher. Explained it to them. Then explained to my son that most mommies and daddies DON'T understand that shooting and hunting aren't bad. It would be best not to tell everyone he was shooting shotguns because some parents might call the police. We then discussed who it was "safe" to discuss it with.
This approach has resulted in no issues for us.
Really!?! I commend you for taking your son to the ahiea day! But I disagree with telling him to hide things he should be proud of. Your doing something fun, educational, part of Canada's heritage and there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course he is your son and its your decision but you guys have nothing to hide. Hiding seems like you think are doing something wrong your not!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM

my daughter is twelve,, teacher had read that its good for pre teens to multi task,, so they were able to chew gum that day,,, ok who the f comes up with this stuff?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Really!?! I commend you for taking your son to the ahiea day! But I disagree with telling him to hide things he should be proud of. Your doing something fun, educational, part of Canada's heritage and there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course he is your son and its your decision but you guys have nothing to hide. Hiding seems like you think are doing something wrong your not!
I didn't ask him to hide it. I asked him not to discuss it with our new neighbours (we moved in here not 3 weeks prior). I don't know them and the last thing I need is to deal with more people who fail to understand.
I already get funny looks when we take fishing gear to the car. Can you imagine the nightmare I would have if he were discussing shooting.

We have friends who understand and are supportive. They are his "safe" friends. People he has known his entire life.

I've had a run in with Children's aid because our condo board wanted all kids gone from the building so she reported everyone for letting children more than 15 feet away from an adult (apparently thats as far as your children are allowed to be with you these days). So I had to deal with the stupid system for letting my child walk 50 - 80 feet to throw garbage down a shoot. I had to deal with them because my son felt safe taking the elevator from our floor to his friends floor and knocking on the door so they could play. I had to deal with them for letting my son use the bathroom in the rec center at the condo while I stayed in the pool.
So yeah I am sick and tired of the BS that is happening in our society and the last thing I wanted was another round of fighting.

His teacher and his principal asked him about his shooting experience. He was happy to talk with them about it. But even the principal said there would likely be issues if he told his classmates.
So when asked on the monday what he did that weekend(all kids share their weekend with the class)...... he stood up and told them... My mommy took me somewhere special and I got to do something so cool and fun. It was left at that.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
"I already get funny looks when we take fishing gear to the car."

Can you imagine the nightmare I would have if he were discussing shooting.
That's such a riot that sentence!!
I can only imagine someone from a 100yrs ago reading that and shaking their head while asking aloud;
"What kind of world is this the future holds,pure lunacy"
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Omg. I wish I could find the photograph of my son James at his Grade 1 Halloween party....

The kids were told to dress "not scary", so there were princesses/cowboys/super heros etc

Pan left and there is James in a goalie mask and a cleaver in his hand. Jason

Lol

He gets extra homework when he goes hunting. Teachers know he will miss 15 or so days in Oct and Nov. They accommodate him which is nice.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 AM

Had a very similar issue in Turner Valley when my son was in grade 5.
Teacher told my son that it was wrong of me to shoot a moose. He was with me on that moose hunt the weekend before this incident and of course excitedly took the news to school.
She actually gave him a detention because he started arguing with her.

I took the next morning off of work and went with him to school. By then word had gotten around to the other parents( lots of ranching families) and the phone was ringing off the hook in the Principal's at the school in support of my son.

Teacher withdrew her statement and apologized but clearly did not mean it and looked at the entire community like we were the one's with the problem.

What I learned!!

Lots of people will influence your children's view of the world and try to impose their own moral imperative on them.

But "Chickens will always come home to Roost!!

Talk to your kids EVERYDAY and give them the support they need to navigate the sometime choppy waters of life, like when an supposed authority figure(teacher) make a negative value judgement born of ignorance on their life.

Be consistent and explain your reasons for doing the things you do to your kids.

PS.My son called her a coward for getting other people to kill animals for her because she ate beef and wore leather shoes.

I guess you can get a detention for almost anything.lol

Last edited by omega50; 10-12-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Glad my kids could separate the wheat from the chaff with regards to how politically motivated most teachers are these days and how politically correct the public school system has become, the indoctrination attempt on my 2 kids was a big fail thankfully lol
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
I work for Children's Services and trust me, you won't receive a call or a visit. We're too busy with real issues. I'd chew that teacher out for wasting my time if I was on intake.
Dont even go there you are legally obligated to at the very least make a call. Now it is how you would handle that call that would define what kind of worker you are. curious as to what department you work in
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddysToys View Post
I explained to her that hes excited because he shot my .270, hes always wanted to. Apparently he talked about it lots today. I was thinking here we go with the anti gun bs. No. Her issue was that its irresponsible for an 8 year old to fire a high powered rifle.
haha only in AB , in toronto you would have had the swat team at your house.