Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Default wild boar hunting

Just wondering where you guys or girls would suggest to look for a landowner that would want someone to take some hogs off his place. I'm in southern Alberta and kind of looking for the highest hog population. Thanks guys
Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Default Hogs

You'll never find hogs by asking in a forum. Anyone who knows where there are some will probably be hunting them themselves, added to that is the fact that there just aren't that many around. Maybe try talking to SRD in a likely area such as an area that's put a bounty on them.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Default Boaring website

A web site to report sightings across Canada

http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.LkZZQAG8.dpbs

You can drop off a roast for me when your done
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM

I tried looking into boar hunting, and the first thing I did was look through old threads to see if anyone else had tried to do the same. All the threads were the same, friendly, but closed. No one gave anything more than Mayerthorp as a hint of where you might find some. My question would be more how do you go about tracking them? Learn the signs and start finding your own.

Now stop staring at my rack.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM

I wasn"t really expecting a hunter to divulge his hunting area. was more hoping there may be a farmer on the forum that has a problem with hogs.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM

Its a freakin blast!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM

From the Alberta Farmer Express that came today, regarding wild pigs.

http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/201...l-pigs-threat/

Grizz
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

or try the Hunting in BC Forum, for wild boar sightings,

I understand about 35,000 very excited wild boar Hunters from the Greater Vancouver area are armed and dangerous with great hopes of finding 2 (same sex) pigs that escaped a pen near Hope BC back around 1982 !
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
From the Alberta Farmer Express that came today, regarding wild pigs.

http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/201...l-pigs-threat/

Grizz
How do these people think wild boar are going to be an issue like the states? Look at the areas where wild boar are overpopulated down there and then look up here. What's the one major difference?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 AM

If it's hogs you're after, save a little money and head Stateside. There are tons of hogs down there, and tons of outfitters.
We did a trip to Texas over the mid winter break and we found tons of hogs and javelinas. All in, including food and flight was about $1900 for a 3 day hunt.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
How do these people think wild boar are going to be an issue like the states? Look at the areas where wild boar are overpopulated down there and then look up here. What's the one major difference?

Probably climate, but their hogs seem to have more domesticated stock in their background as well. Thing is we don't want them to become firmly established here for all kinds of reasons.

Grizz
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Probably climate, but their hogs seem to have more domesticated stock in their background as well. Thing is we don't want them to become firmly established here for all kinds of reasons.

Grizz
Yes climate is the biggest reason.

You are correct, anytime you see spotted pigs in with them there is domestic stock in their background. True wild boar don't throw spotted pigs. Litters are no more than 6 per litter. The original wild hogs in the US were feral hogs.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Grizz
I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying how overblown this is. Lack of a steady year-round food source and will keep them down. If not we'd have seen a major explosion already.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying how overblown this is. Lack of a steady year-round food source and will keep them down. If not we'd have seen a major explosion already.
X2
Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

cold climate is NOT any issue for wild boar, I have owned many of them, and they do just fine during even the coldest weather (-40), they tunnel underground and eat roots and anything than can be chewed up,
they are great at clearing land of tree stumps and undergrowth,

I once purchased a domestic pink pig at an auction and turned her loose in the enclosure with the 12 wild boar, the wild boars attacked and killed the 200 pound domestic pig in less than 2 minutes, 2 hours later nothing was left of the domestic pig but a stain on the ground
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
cold climate is NOT any issue for wild boar, I have owned many of them, and they do just fine during even the coldest weather (-40), they tunnel underground and eat roots and anything than can be chewed up,
they are great at clearing land of tree stumps and undergrowth,

I once purchased a domestic pink pig at an auction and turned her loose in the enclosure with the 12 wild boar, the wild boars attacked and killed the 200 pound domestic pig in less than 2 minutes, 2 hours later nothing was left of the domestic pig but a stain on the ground
Cold climate is not an issue is right. But 3-5 feet of snow is.
I've raised wild boars for over 20 years. Even when introducing a new wild boar to the herd they will attack it and kill it if they get it cornered. I've always introduced them slowly. In a pen next to the herd. Even then they need lots of room to run from the rest.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Cold climate is not an issue is right. But 3-5 feet of snow is.
I've raised wild boars for over 20 years. Even when introducing a new wild boar to the herd they will attack it and kill it if they get it cornered. I've always introduced them slowly. In a pen next to the herd. Even then they need lots of room to run from the rest.
mine actually were European Wild Boar, they had no problems with cold or snow,
as they survive and thrive in Siberia so Northern Alta and BC should be a cake walk ? lol
Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
mine actually were European Wild Boar, they had no problems with cold or snow,
as they survive and thrive in Siberia so Northern Alta and BC should be a cake walk ? lol
Mine are the same. I've never crossbred them with anything else. Perhaps your right. I don't know what they get for snowfall in Siberia. I've never had any escapees that stayed out all winter. Just seems to me they need man to survive. Not much for nuts, roots etc up here in Northern Ab for them to eat in the winter. Grain piles and haystacks then no problem. Do you still have some?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (36.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Mine are the same. I've never crossbred them with anything else. Perhaps your right. I don't know what they get for snowfall in Siberia. I've never had any escapees that stayed out all winter. Just seems to me they need man to survive. Not much for nuts, roots etc up here in Northern Ab for them to eat in the winter. Grain piles and haystacks then no problem. Do you still have some?
no I hammered(30-30) the last wild boar a couple years ago, she was close to 300kg live weight,

logging slash waste piles, root piles, round bales, muskeg, willow swamps all excellent wild boar cold weather habitat, shelter and food supply

these animals are incredibly intelligent I must add
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
no I hammered(30-30) the last wild boar a couple years ago, she was close to 300kg live weight,

logging slash waste piles, root piles, round bales, muskeg, willow swamps all excellent wild boar cold weather habitat, shelter and food supply

these animals are incredibly intelligent I must add
Yes they're very intelligent! And very tasty!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

We in Alberta wish we had a feral pig problem. LOL much better than a feral horse problem.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
We in Alberta wish we had a feral pig problem. LOL much better than a feral horse problem.
Think there's any money to be made in raising a Wild Pig Defense fund ?

Grizz
Old 04-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Whats wrong with feral horses?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM

I spotted one south of barhead this fall
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 PM

A number of years ago I saw where a farmer had a large area of page wire fence filled with round bales , he put in a bunch of wealing pigs to feed for the winter and I would think they would do quite well. They weren't the Russian boar variety but they can survive quite well in the cold under those conditions