Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you classify yourself as an angler?
Master 21 20.39%
Intermediate 34 33.01%
Moderate 27 26.21%
Amateur 14 13.59%
Weekender 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM

for the 20% saying there masters...lets see some of us posting more.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
For me I would rate myself moderate when it came to catching all species in Alberta combined. I find that I am good at catching summer rainbow trout and great at catching summer walleye on jigs and plugs. I also find that I am moderate at catching ice gators. I can also catch alot of "nice sized" grayling as well IMO. However, I find that I am still very ameture at catching lake trout, and very ammeture at catching walleye through the ice. When it comes to getting burbot through the ice, at most lakes I would consider myself allright at it except for Lesser Slave where I can catch one after another on good days. If I were to catch a lake whitefish, I would consider myself very lucky. When it comes to brook trout fishing, I have yet to catch one of anything bigger than 6''. I also have yet to catch a brown trout, bull trout or any other trout or char species in the province. I believe what fish species any angler lacks in catching makes up for catching lots extra of the species they specialize in.
To add to that, I am always still learning new things pratically everytime I go fishing. I just believe that's one of the big factors that makes the great sport of fishing so exciting. I betcha I will be learning many new things until the last day I fish.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

I like to think that I am masterful at being patient, intermediate at sharing my secrets, moderate in my weather choices, an amateur flyfisher and weekends were made for Extra Old Stock.

Free (to vote)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 AM

To be an intermidiate or master one would have fished all spiecies all over the world and be good to excelant at catching all. One would have to be very good at all techneches of fishing also. ( fly,spinning,trolling,spear,casting,salt water,fresh,water,rivers,lakes) etc.. too many things out there to name them all. I don't think there are any here that would be in those two catagoreies. I would consider myself as med to low end of moderate. Probly closer to the low end.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 AM

id say im more of a combination now...weekender and intermidiate.
Iv done all kinds of fishing a couple places in the world.over seas.
and iv managed to outfish a bunch of people using there gear for panfish. i foraged some junk line on the beach and dug a worm and caught tons of panfish thanks to all the people who dont know where to put there trash
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I know a few Masters in my area ..a Master angler is like a Master of anything it means they have excelled in that sport or field .. so you could be a Master of Perch fishing and not Trout or a Master Walleye angler etc etc lots of people have the Master Degree and even Doctorate and some anglers are too.. the Masters i know have some days too when angling is tough and they can not buy a bite.. as i have said before most angler fall in the middle in my club but there are a few who are Master and even are young

it just means they have excelled and put the time to earn that title...

some people are unassuming and yet i would call them a Master Angler and others have their Doctorate

David -1984 Master Angler AFGA
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Default This is a true sign of a Master!

Two friends are fishing near a bridge.

Suddenly a Hearse and two Funeral Cars go over the bridge so one of the men stands up, takes off his cap and bows his head.

When the cars have gone he puts his cap back on, sits back down and carries on fishing.

His mate turns to him and says, " Dave, that's one of the nicest most respectful things I've ever seen "

Dave replies, " Well we were married for nearly 20 years "
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 AM

Some of us may know more than others, but when you come right down to it, like my old grandaddy used to say "The more you know, the you know you don't know".
So really, we're all equal in that regard.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Master. But only at a certain lake in Alberta for a certain species. Everywhere else i would probably be a moderate.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM

on a trout stream I know what I am doing and capable of helping others. But would take advice from Wil, Cathy or Jeff
on a lake I need advice (hopefully from Wayne Christie)
on the ocean? everyone laughed but I landed the thing!

Good post-interesting
FYI-best fly caster? Cathy, Cathy or Cathy!